It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wounded Iraq Vet Gets Heckled During Columbia University Speech

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

This was also in the NY Post:

Hero's unwelcome
By ANNIE KARNI

Last Updated: 7:19 AM, February 20, 2011

Posted: 12:10 AM, February 20, 2011

Columbia University students heckled a war hero during a town-hall meeting on whether ROTC should be allowed back on campus.

"Racist!" some students yelled at Anthony Maschek, a Columbia freshman and former Army staff sergeant awarded the Purple Heart after being shot 11 times in a firefight in northern Iraq in February 2008. Others hissed and booed the veteran.

Maschek, 28, had bravely stepped up to the mike Tuesday at the meeting to issue an impassioned challenge to fellow students on their perceptions of the military.

"It doesn't matter how you feel about the war. It doesn't matter how you feel about fighting," said Maschek. "There are bad men out there plotting to kill you."

Several students laughed and jeered the Idaho native, a 10th Mountain Division infantryman who spent two years at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington recovering from grievous wounds.

Maschek, who is studying economics, miraculously survived the insurgent attack in Kirkuk. In the hail of gunfire, he broke both legs and suffered wounds to his abdomen, arm and chest.

He enrolled last August at the Ivy League school, where an increasingly ugly battle is unfolding over the 42-year military ban there.

=================================================================================
Simple solution. If they don't want ROTC, fine. They don't get any federal funding for projects. Pretty simple.

And by the way, Columbia University, as of 2004, is the 8th largest higher education recipient of Federal funding clocking in at just over $300 million a year in research grants.

$300 million would help a lot of homeless vets.

And another thing, Anthony Maschek is in a wheelchair. Real buncha tough guys at Columbia.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

edit on 20-2-2011 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Well not everyone shares the military view, of being there in sisuations that are not warrented other than for greedy corps at the expense of others, put the greedy corps on the battlefield hand them a battle rifle. You want the minerials and oil go get soldier!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Holy crap, FOX can lay it on thick. We get it, no point in being so hamfisted, guys. Its insulting to my intelligence.
edit on 20-2-2011 by aching_knuckles because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I love the civility of it all
Racist? I do love that stretch. As for the old minorities will make up the future armed forces ABC Or are hillbillies now a minority?
[I am being sarcastic for all of the Southerners here] If you don't want to join the army don't, but why the issue with the ROTC?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by signal2noise

Simple solution. If they don't want ROTC, fine. They don't get any federal funding for projects. Pretty simple.

And by the way, Columbia University, as of 2004, is the 8th largest higher education recipient of Federal funding clocking in at just over $300 million a year in research grants.

I thought that was already a law. If they don't allow ROTC, no federal funds. I guess I am wrong.

It doesn't surprise me at the reaction from the students. Columbia is well known as a far left institution.

People can be against the foreign wars, but that shouldn't give them a right to disrespect someone like that

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Why even bother to go there at all?
I say cut funding to the schools and be done with it.
If they don't the military there, then the bank roll stops.
It's either all or nothing.
edit on 20-2-2011 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
No matter what their opinions are, they shouldn't disrespect someone who put their life on the line for the country. Especially when he could have been killed, being hit 11 times seems pretty bad. I loved ROTC when I joined my freshman year. Although, I had to cut all of my hair off which sucked but afterwards it was great. It gave you a little bit of the "feel" you would get if serving in the military, and taught you a thing or two about respect and discipline if you already didn't have it.

I got lucky and got to participate on the Colorguard and carry the Tiger M1 Garand, that was the highlight of my life. Got to do ceremonies at the football games, really glad I did it. Thing is the next year I grew my hair back out and didn't go back. Still have long hair, but sometime this year im ready to finally join the Army and get my life going, since I just turned 19.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Wait a darn minute here! "Wounded Iraq Vet Gets Heckled During Columbia University Speech" ? Impossible. Liberals are supposed to be so much more compassionate than conservatives, aren't they?

What's the difference between the liberals at CU and the Westboro Baptist Church? Absolutely nothing....

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

Star for you my friend..........
That pretty much sums it up.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by FPB214

You said it, respect and discipline.

That is something that the youth of america today is lacking. As seen by the immature responses of the crowd.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by FPB214
No matter what their opinions are, they shouldn't disrespect someone who put their life on the line for the country. Especially when he could have been killed, being hit 11 times seems pretty bad.

Well hey it's a free country right, one he fought for.... It doesn't matter if he was never shot, or shot a million times and came back with no arms and legs, if your not wanted, people will heckle no matter who you are, they have that right! Civilians fight for their country to by protesting etc, as well they probably been shot at home in gang wars etc... No matter, hecklers are just as special as any soldier.
edit on 20-2-2011 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by imitator

You're kidding right?
That or an obvious troll response......wow, and we wonder what's happening to the country?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I cannot help but feel that there is a lot missing from this story. It sets it up to sound as if this brave man came to give a speech and was heckled when in reality, he was being heckled by his own fellow students at a meeting. One of the things people were yelling at him was "Racist." That is not really something I hear often being yelled at Iraq war vets. Seeing as how these people are school mates, perhaps there is something more precipitous from moments past that is not being brought to light?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed

You're kidding right?
That or an obvious troll response......wow, and we wonder what's happening to the country?

No.
Ask any current or former military member.
We served and protected the freedoms of all. Even those that are idiotic in nature.
If the students at Columbia want to heckle him, they have the right to do so.
Just cut funding to the school. Easy.
Tuition will be raised and the hurt will be felt by the student and their family.
Done and done.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed

You're kidding right?

It's just a fact.... I'm not defending the hecklers.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by imitator
Well hey it's a free country right, one he fought for.... It doesn't matter if he was never shot, or shot a million times and came back with no arms and legs, if your not wanted, people will heckle no matter who you are, they have that right!

There's something called "respect". Someone is up there giving a speech, probably the best thing to do is sit down and STFU. Protesting can be done another time, and personally attacking someone that was wounded is probably the lowest thing they could do.

I guess by your line of thinking, it's OK for those same people to go to the local VA hospital and give a line of smack to the wounded guys there, right?

Civilians fight for their country to by protesting etc, as well they probably been shot at home in gang wars etc...

That wasn't protesting, what they were doing is called, "running their suck".

No matter, hecklers are just as special as any soldier.

No, they aren't.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinnthia
It sets it up to sound as if this brave man came to give a speech and was heckled when in reality, he was being heckled by his own fellow students at a meeting.

Yes, it was students that were doing the heckling.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Yes, it was students that were doing the heckling.

I am not sure what this response means. Please read my post again because I can only assume you failed to understand what you are replying to or else you need to explain more what your point is.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

I guess by your line of thinking, it's OK for those same people to go to the local VA hospital and give a line of smack to the wounded guys there, right?

No, but you see that is no different... What if some crippled students gave a anti-war speech at the VA.... those vets would heckle as well....

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Your right. Its a free country, you can say whatever you feel like saying. Thing is though, there are good ways to handle things, and bad/immature/disrespectful ways to handle things, and from what we know so far this seems like the second one. Im not saying they don't have a right to freedom of speech, but you'd think they would handle it better knowing what he went through. Yet, when we live in a society such as ours, this actually doesn't surprise me.

Just disrespectful though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join