It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why has "love" been stigmatized?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by QueSeraSera

Originally posted by IAMIAM
I'll be your sissy Bro.

I love everyone. I once had a guy pull a gun out on me when I was a teenager. I was walking along the rail road tracks by a local school where my friends were partying it up drinking beer and smokin bud. This kid my age and his buddy come walking up to me and put a 22 pistol up to my head and demand my money. I smiled at them and told them I didn't have any money, but if they put the gun away they could come have a beer with me. So, they did. By the end of the night we were all shooting beer cans and laughing it up.

True story there my friend.

I have tons of them were living in the spirit of love and having no fear has lead me to some of the most interesting people under the sun. We all have our baggage, but in the end, we are just lost souls trying our best to find the light in a dark world.

Be a light and the world will brighten up to you!

With Love,

Your Brother

I can't help but feel that your own experience was in some other lifetime ago, and also that you had incredibly good luck. I doubt a similar outcome today. Whatever...
I don't mean to be jaded, but times change. Not that "hope" or "compassion" is irrelevant. It's just a lot less relevant these days. Just being realistic.

A joke?

It's infinitely relevant, it's the crux of the human experience; just because they built you an ego doesn't mean you have to live in it.

It's only a choice, whether you're met with reciprocation or not is irrelevant, it feels the same.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ballsdeep

A unified uprising in America is impossible. There is however a real and definite possibility of a civil war.
Listen to the right wing radio and TV personalities like Rush, Sean, Coulter, Medved, Savage, Levin, Gallagher, Sussman, Hal Turner, Kaufmann and Beck. Hear Love from any of them. Any message of unity, peace and understanding. I don't, all I hear is divisive hateful rhetoric against those that have different ideas from ultra right conservatism, and fundamental Christianity.

There in lies our future. As in Germany; find the right scapegoat and figure out a way to dispose of the bodies.

In the future Mexico will be a peaceful haven and refuge from the hell that I predict America is destined to become.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ballsdeep

I'll be your sissy Bro.

I love everyone. I once had a guy pull a gun out on me when I was a teenager. I was walking along the rail road tracks by a local school where my friends were partying it up drinking beer and smokin bud. This kid my age and his buddy come walking up to me and put a 22 pistol up to my head and demand my money. I smiled at them and told them I didn't have any money, but if they put the gun away they could come have a beer with me. So, they did. By the end of the night we were all shooting beer cans and laughing it up.

True story there my friend.

I have tons of them were living in the spirit of love and having no fear has lead me to some of the most interesting people under the sun. We all have our baggage, but in the end, we are just lost souls trying our best to find the light in a dark world.

Be a light and the world will brighten up to you!

With Love,

Your Brother

I can't help but feel that your own experience was in some other lifetime ago, and also that you had incredibly good luck. I doubt a similar outcome today. Whatever...
I don't mean to be jaded, but times change. Not that "hope" or "compassion" is irrelevant. It's just a lot less relevant these days. Just being realistic.

A joke?

It's infinitely relevant, it's the crux of the human experience; just because they built you an ego doesn't mean you have to live in it.

It's only a choice, whether you're met with reciprocation or not is irrelevant, it feels the same.

No joke. I'm only being realistic. People today keep their "shells" about them for protection as never before in the past. It's a savage world out there. Not that I wish it so myself.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by QueSeraSera

Yes, people do - you don't have to, you'll be glad you didn't.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Yours are deep questions that many have tried to answer.

I like the story told by LRH in his History of Man. But that's only one version of Why. For more information about the machinations of the "humans" who think LOVE is a four-letter word, take some time to study this site.

More to the point: what can we do about this campaign of "crass is cool?"

If you want to fight it on an individual basis, then just keep being yourself and caring for other people. Never give up on the possibility that things could get better.

If you want to do it on a more organized basis, you can join a group that helps people either as volunteers or as paid professionals. There are a lot to choose from.

Be assured, the love of which you speak (sometimes called "Christian love" or "agape.") is alive and well, and (we hope) always will be.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

It was around 1988 that this occured. I have a ton of experiences like this and here is why.

I do not judge anyone. I am open and accepting of everyone. I genuinely LOVE everyone. It is just my nature and always has been. I do not consider myself special, I just enjoy a variety of people. I enjoy ALL people.

I do not have a fear of anything either. About 9 months ago I went to the woods to my favorite spot on the bank of a small creek. I was going through a particularly spiritual phase of life and I wanted to know without a doubt if there was a higher power. So, I took my .45 Llama mini max with me with every intention of eating a bullet. I was not depressed, I was not angry, I just wanted to have that question answered.

So it was more of a dare, and I was deadly serious.

I sat there for about 15 minutes enjoying the view and preparing to meet my maker if one existed. I looked down the barrel of my pistol to the hydro shock hollow point just to see what it was like to see it up close and personal. As I was about to put the gun to my head and take my trip, a boat came barreling down this little creek in the deep of the woods. It bottomed out about 15 feet down stream from me. I watched the people jump out, and push their boat back down stream. How it even managed to make it that far up that little creek I still do not know. But, I was satisfied that I had my answer. I got up, went home, gave away everything I owned and left on a mission to serve God and my Brothers and Sisters. That's what I do now.

Yeah, I am a nut case. But I love people, and there is nothing in this world that I fear. Fear is usually what keeps us apart.

With Love,

Your Brother

P.S. I would not try anything I say at home without a firm love for God, and your fellow man. It could be hazardous to your health.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe

To love is to hurt and there are many who do not wish to partake in it for that reason alone. There is a tremendous amount of hate for a tremendous amount of things and people, a little love and empathy can go a long way.

To love IS to hurt. I too am a lover, but that love for humanity is probably the most painful thing in my life. To watch helplessly as others suffer, either at their own hand or the hand of another is the worst. Many do want to feel this pain so they choose not to love. But through the anguish and frustration of watching suffering, comes resolve. I am gratefeul for others in this world who love because we are the ones who bring change. Through our indignation of watching others suffer we fight for the rights of those who can't or won't.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

I've been reading this thread and thinking seriously about what you said. "Do you love everyone.? So in trying to determine if I just feel love for everyone or if I just feel empathy for the world around me.
Love hurts ..That is definitely true. If it didn't then you wouldn't care. So how do I determine if I truly love everyone or just have an overwhelming feeling of compassion for the world.??
Our circle of Love is very small. We love our families, friends and branch out to meeting and love many on our life's journey. I am beginning to feel the love for people on here by reading their thoughts,
I guess what I am trying to say is... Do we cry for the children who are staving to death right now or is being murdered or raped.?? Or any of the atrocities that are happening around the world every second of the day. How many of us shed tears for these everyday?. I think if we thought about this every second of the day and the overwhelming grief and sadness we would feel , we could not stay sane, or even function in everyday duties anymore.
It is very painful and grievous for anyone who has lost a loved one..I know ..I lost a daughter.I know she is with God. I have no doubt and it is a big comfort to me to know this is true. But, I can't imagine going thru that kind of grief for the whole planet every second of the day.

edit on 21-2-2011 by ellieN because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Humans are odd things, we really are. Love should be embraced as the single most important thing along with happiness and everything else falls under these categories.

Instead the most important things are profit, materialisation and greed. All of these things and those that fall under these categories are detrimental to us, our health, our well-being and our lives.

I wrote a thread on how 'dodgy' the love thing really is or can be here, I bring up some similar points about the stigmatizations attached to showing love for others.

To answer your questions:
# Do you have love for all of humanity?
Yes, most of the time there are some occasions where humans do things I find almost impossible to forgive, but on the whole I wish everyone always the best.

# If so, do you get a lot of questions as to why you feel this way?
As I wrote in my post, I avoid telling people how well I wish them to be and how much I hope that they get happiness etc, because people will look at you like they've just seen a ghost, or like you've said complete gibberish and are obviously crazy.

# If not, what keeps you from doing so? Is it because of the stigmas attached to it?
Yes definitely, people think you're crazy, for some reason telling someone that you wish them the best seems similar to telling them you're addicted to herion, they both bear a similar reaction.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Just keep loving people and they will love you. Think about it this way.

If someone walks up to you and hates you then what is your natural reaction to them?

If someone walks up to you and loves you then what is your natural reaction to them?

I would rather people show love towards me then hate.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ellieN

You definitely did put a lot of thought into that. Thank you. You made me think very hard about my own question again. You are right, we do not shed tears everyday for the downtrodden world-wide like we would if they were friends or family. I think (I hope) that is just a case of desensitization since, when we are confronted with a new atrocity we never knew about before, we do suffer from terrible sadness and emotions. But... when it happens everyday and you already do all you can do about it, you wouldn't be able to function if you were torn up daily about it. I think Iamiam categorized this sort of love best with "agape" love which is more like what you described as "overwhelming compassion". If it is sincere, that is love in my book.

Thank you for the perspective check; I needed that.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Hey man...what's love got to do, got to do with it? What's love (after all) but a second hand emotion? Well?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Love is often a part of many peoples lost childhood.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
reply to post by Cuervo

And love is always equated with new age, and that is put down as well. Its always got some put down verbiage by the ones who are determined to cast slurs and shut down threads that shine light or awaken others. Because they're not comfortable with the word love. There are some on real agendas, as in they are occult background, and or working for the paramilitary, and occult as well, and they do it as a tag team, it seems.

But, there are many people who are very uncomfortable to discover that unconditional love and the kind of service to others, and overcoming flaws, judgments, and willingness to take a background role and help others more, to put people before things, money, success, promotions, is how we pass the tests here. Not balance, you can't balance the positive with the negative. What does kindness balance with? What does love balance with? What does patience balance with?

They want it to be something that will have no accountability. Accountability, or sharing, giving up status and greed for example, is not something they want to hear.

If everything isn't all right, and the law of the jungle isn't the right thing, if its really about love and going against the current of the stream in life, then the test has right answers and wrong answers, and we have some degree of accountability. And this is not something many want to see.

So love is always treated as if its nothing, but its the thing that is the whole basis of this universe, cosmos, school, and its really simple things that shine their light in this world. People attempt to make it more complicated so they won't have to give up what they enjoy or covet.
edit on 20-2-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

I have love and sympathies for humankind. I have love for animals, mother earth and the cosmos. I know it does sound new agey. Love is connection, Joy, compassion and beauty. (Beauty.. is another word that is missused or not fully understood)

Love is beyond what many of us have learned of love. A complete person has love and gives love, but does not need to compromise, delude or falsify themselves just to receive love. I belief many relationships and marriages have been based on the wrong things...money, status...etc. That is not love.

Light and Love

edit on 21-2-2011 by blazenresearcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ossminid
reply to post by Cuervo

Hey man...what's love got to do, got to do with it? What's love (after all) but a second hand emotion? Well?

"All you need is Love........Love is all you need...Love is all you need"
edit on 21-2-2011 by blazenresearcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
reply to post by ellieN

You definitely did put a lot of thought into that. Thank you. You made me think very hard about my own question again. You are right, we do not shed tears everyday for the downtrodden world-wide like we would if they were friends or family. I think (I hope) that is just a case of desensitization since, when we are confronted with a new atrocity we never knew about before, we do suffer from terrible sadness and emotions. But... when it happens everyday and you already do all you can do about it, you wouldn't be able to function if you were torn up daily about it. I think Iamiam categorized this sort of love best with "agape" love which is more like what you described as "overwhelming compassion". If it is sincere, that is love in my book.

There is a scientific research project going on...which you can actually be a part of....Love can produce a wave length and if enough people make an effort to global consciousness...it can have profound effects.

www.glcoherence.org...

The Global Coherence Initiative is a science-based, co-creative project to unite people in heart-focused care and intention, to facilitate the shift in global consciousness from instability and discord to balance, cooperation and enduring peace.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Thank you..And the reason I said what I did is this...I knew a lady who was a devout Christian. She was something like what I was trying to say.She was a wonderful person and held her Bible close all the time.She was the mother of a friend I went to school with. But somewhere along the line, she got side tracked by the pain of all of those around her and all that was happening in the world and as I said... could not function in her own home any more. She would talk constantly of the horrors she was feeling from the world. Soon she would not do anything in her own home and had to be put in a nursing home and she could not understand why. The nursing home where I worked. She could not see that what she was feeling had interrupted her life and of the ones she loved and was totally consumed by this knowing. Soon she would turn on the very ones who loved her most. Her view of the world was distorted by this. She would cry many times when I came into her room and talk about all the terrible things she was feeling around her and that no one understood. It was so very heartbreaking and so sad and very depressing to me.
I really am sorry to say this but after awhile I would wait til she was not in her room to go clean because I was afraid she would be in one of those (knowing) moments. But not all the time. When I felt I could handle her grief I would go in.

I did get her to bless a bottle of oil for me. Because I felt she was closer to God than anyone I had ever met. She told me she was not worthy to do that and for me to get a minister. I told her I did not know any minister that was a more devout Apostle of God than she was. I use the oil very sparingly and honestly believe it is holy oil.
edit on 21-2-2011 by ellieN because: Add a sentence to bottom

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

It was around 1988 that this occured. I have a ton of experiences like this and here is why.

I do not judge anyone. I am open and accepting of everyone. I genuinely LOVE everyone. It is just my nature and always has been. I do not consider myself special, I just enjoy a variety of people. I enjoy ALL people.

I do not have a fear of anything either. About 9 months ago I went to the woods to my favorite spot on the bank of a small creek. I was going through a particularly spiritual phase of life and I wanted to know without a doubt if there was a higher power. So, I took my .45 Llama mini max with me with every intention of eating a bullet. I was not depressed, I was not angry, I just wanted to have that question answered.

So it was more of a dare, and I was deadly serious.

I sat there for about 15 minutes enjoying the view and preparing to meet my maker if one existed. I looked down the barrel of my pistol to the hydro shock hollow point just to see what it was like to see it up close and personal. As I was about to put the gun to my head and take my trip, a boat came barreling down this little creek in the deep of the woods. It bottomed out about 15 feet down stream from me. I watched the people jump out, and push their boat back down stream. How it even managed to make it that far up that little creek I still do not know. But, I was satisfied that I had my answer. I got up, went home, gave away everything I owned and left on a mission to serve God and my Brothers and Sisters. That's what I do now.

Yeah, I am a nut case. But I love people, and there is nothing in this world that I fear. Fear is usually what keeps us apart.

With Love,

Your Brother

P.S. I would not try anything I say at home without a firm love for God, and your fellow man. It could be hazardous to your health.

Thanks for that amazing inspiration brother
my apologies for thinking you were just a preaching, die hard christian. alas, i chose to remain even still in my ego even if I meant to escape it. That gave me a great reflection on just surrendering to mother earth.. i've felt this tug to go back for about 3 years now and back then i was 16-17. now im getting to 19-20, more mature and capable.. now is my time to surrender fully and take hold of my destiny to help our mother transition. thank you and I only hope our paths entwine, even for a few minutes, in this life before the transition.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by blazenresearcher

Yes, love is the real thing, what is under the fabric of this earth school test, is the basics, and the whole universe is on this assignment of growing love, reaching the next grade.

And when people share this, others feel really threatened, because like a spotlight it shows us what we need to change in our lives.

But its also connected to the light within us, and our frequency, and its up to us to consciously work at this.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
reply to post by ellieN

Every time I see footage of something like the Massacre in Bahrain yesterday I cry.. it's all about proximity; I love all of mankind - but that love is unable to manifest itself in any specific sense unless I'm faced with another ego..

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join