It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rift - Planes of Telara

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Is any of you guys preordering this game? Looks amazing, even though there were many things taken from WoW. But that is not that bad. Its basically WoW 2.0.

From wiki
Basic info:
Rift (previously called "Rift: Planes of Telara") is an upcoming fantasy MMORPG from Trion Worlds Network, set to launch March 1, 2011 with a head start period beginning February 24, 2011 for those who have pre-ordered the game.

Plot:
Rift is an MMORPG set in the fantasy world of Telara, which is the focal point of different planes (worlds). These worlds have now invaded Telara, causing rifts to open. These rifts begin to spawn monsters which proceed to march towards important points on the map. It is then up to players to defeat these monsters and to close the rift. If rifts are left unchecked, the invading monsters will eventually conquer large portions of the map, killing and significantly impairing the players in that area. Players do not have to be in a group to be able to join a rift and are rewarded for many things including healing, attacking and buffing. The severity and locations of the rifts are entirely dynamic (and thus random). Rifts of six different types (earth, fire, air, water, life, and death) are possible, and rifts of different types will oppose each other.

Character customization:
Each character chooses between four different callings: Warrior, Cleric, Rogue, or Mage. Each eventually gains access to eight different 'souls' from that calling, which have trees to which they can allocate a number of points gained each level. Rift's soul trees have two levels: branches, which are the specific abilities/bonuses that the player allocates the points to, and roots, which are the soul's base abilities that are unlocked as the player allocates a certain number of points into the branches.

The soul system allows players to customize their characters to a high level. The player chooses three souls from within their calling, and allocates earned points into talent trees for each soul. A player wishing to tank may select justicar for its defensive properties and ability to heal the group as it deals damage, sentinel to increase his healing capabilities, and shaman to increase his melee damage output (thus increasing the amount of damage-based healing and threat generation). A character may have both justicar and sentinel, but have more points allocated into sentinel than justicar, and then choose warden as the third soul for its burst damage and heal-over-time spells, to make the character more of a healer than a tank.

Players may also keep up to four different soul configurations (called roles), which may be activated whenever the player is not in combat, meaning a player can switch from a healer to a damage dealer as the group needs. Because the player's abilities come from the points allocated in the soul trees, two roles that share no souls will literally have no abilities or bonuses in common with each other.

en.wikipedia.org...
eu.riftgame.com...

Some gameplay videos from beta and also from gamescon presentation:

edit on 20-2-2011 by Farnhold because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
oooo and I was just thinking about taking Lascala back to WoW!

her GS was rubbish though lol

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5e6cd128246d.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
it does look pretty cool.... what is the release date?

I'll play if I can be LEEEROY!!!!!

edit on 20-2-2011 by Versa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa

lol, I too was thinking about going back to WoW. But Meh. I miss Cataclysm launch and I am tired of WoW. Its always same. This bears some similiarities with WoW, but its also very different at the same time. Random rifts opening up everywhere throughout world, at random places, some will take you to random dungeons, some wont, some will spawn enemies, some bosses,etc. Also soul( or class) system is awesome, and their combination... Ah

What I havent seen much yet is the landscape. WoW has amazingly good looking environment. Blizzard did a good job.
With cataclysm a blowjob

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Versa
it does look pretty cool.... what is the release date?

I'll play if I can be LEEEROY!!!!!

according to wiki its march 1, on some other site I found its either match 4 or 24, not sure.

Haha, yea. LEEEEEEEEROOOOOOYYYYYYYY YEAAYEAAAAAAAA. *runs into mobs*
*everyone wipes*
Damn you Leeroy.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Farnhold

I left just before cataclysm I got sick of idiots shouting for GS without a clue what it actually entailed so I missed the cata launch too

I am kind of missing the game though or maybe I'm just missing playing a game....

Rift defiantly looks good!

March 1st sounds perfect!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Farnhold
Haha, yea. LEEEEEEEEROOOOOOYYYYYYYY YEAAYEAAAAAAAA. *runs into mobs*
*everyone wipes*
Damn you Leeroy.

least I got chicken

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
is it Mac compatible? my sister has a mac so we are limited to mac compatible games.... be nice to get in at the start with some friends!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa

Aye, I wrote launch date in my last comment

Ah, I miss WoW too, partially. Not really that gameplay,etc. Its just the... atmosphere.
Were you present during Wotlk launch? That was very epic
. Ah, my first trip to northrend was with my orc hunter (for the horde!), into howling fjord. First time I entered was just mindblowing, that music, environment,and everything was forming brutally good atmosphere.
Then I started playing as DK, even though I was on high school, I was staying up late at night. After a week or so I dinged lvl 70 and entered northrend, Borean Tundra. That zone was even better than Howling Fjord. Enviroment was changing after every 20-30 quests. And that all was in 1 zone. That is just something I cannot forget.
And first dungeons... aaaaaah. I miss you Wotlk. I just dont want to come back... not yet, maybe never.

Rift looks awesome though. I may try it

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

reply to post by Versa

Ah, I miss WoW too, partially. Not really that gameplay,etc. Its just the... atmosphere.
. Ah, my first trip to northrend was with my orc hunter (for the horde!), into howling fjord. First time I entered was just mindblowing, that music, environment,and everything was forming brutally good atmosphere.
Then I started playing as DK, even though I was on high school, I was staying up late at night. After a week or so I dinged lvl 70 and entered northrend, Borean Tundra. That zone was even better than Howling Fjord. Enviroment was changing after every 20-30 quests. And that all was in 1 zone. That is just something I cannot forget.
And first dungeons... aaaaaah. I miss you Wotlk. I just dont want to come back... not yet, maybe never.

yes
made WotLK launch and yes that was EPIC!!!! I never played anything but horde to be honest, I found the horde just a tad more mature got my horde hunter a ghost saber which was fun lol

dungeons I loved as a healer or tank but as DPS they sucked and I loved my DPS hunter best so that was a bit hard going.

Talking to my sister about rift as we speak.... If its mac compatible shes all for it

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Versa

reply to post by Versa

yes
made WotLK launch and yes that was EPIC!!!! I never played anything but horde to be honest, I found the horde just a tad more mature got my horde hunter a ghost saber which was fun lol

dungeons I loved as a healer or tank but as DPS they sucked and I loved my DPS hunter best so that was a bit hard going.

Talking to my sister about rift as we speak.... If its mac compatible shes all for it

First 2-3 years I played on private servers as human paladin. Then came to official server and played as orc hunter, all the time
, until wotlk came. Then I played mainly as DK. Ah, my role in dungeons when I was lvling up was mainly a tank, then after reaching 80, I became mainly dps.

Tried paladin healer once, in a dungeon, and sucked. We wiped couple of times
, that was during TBC. Not sure if it was entirely my fault, or tanks (for not doing enough aggro), or dps (for doing a lot of aggro), but I said to myself... I will never do a healer role again

I read on Rift forums that game is not mac compatible
. Sorry. Maybe it will become later, who knows.

And where are you dude from? Europe or US? If I started, we can play together

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Farnhold

doesnt seem like its going to be Mac compatible for the release

gutted because we play as a team and I wont be playing without her

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Is anyone here actually playing now that the game has been a for a few weeks?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

I've been playing since launch and I really like it. They did a lot of things that you will find very user friendly taken from other MMO's so you will not have to spend hours just trying to orient yourself with the UI or your purpose for doing what you are doing.

I like that you can just be out doing some questing then a Rift invasion pops up and you have the choice of either ignoring it, which you can do but just hope it doesn't spread over into your quest mobs or questgivers, or you can pretty much auto join a public group to close the rift. Doing that offers rewards usually outside of what you will get from regular questing rewards.

It's a good game but IMO not one where you want to race to the level cap and look for the I Win button because at this time there isn't a lot of post lvl 50 content.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Wow, remind me not to post when I am half asleep anymore. I have been playing on the defiant's side. I am enjoying it quite a bit.

top topics

join