It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
So what happened to the good ole' days where the only persons on Campus that were allowed to carry guns where you know...the police? or security guards?

Instead of allowing everyone to carry concealed weapons into a public building, why not give more funding to public colleges so they can hire more security? and place more cameras and metal detectors?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
And how much gun crime is there presently from people who have went through the process for Concealed Carry permits? There are lots of places you can carry already, and I have not heard about all these street battles and dire scenarios from people who have gone through that process.

Actually if someone wants to secretly carry a gun, they will. If someone is doing it legally and with the right process, they are not the ones you would fear.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Instead of allowing everyone to carry concealed weapons into a public building, why not give more funding to public colleges so they can hire more security? and place more cameras and metal detectors?
So, instead of protecting ourselves you propose that we give up even more freedoms and put up with more intrusive groping??????

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07
Should they give high school students guns as well? What about middle school students?

While I hate gun bans of any kind, I think there should be limits somewhere, otherwise we are just asking for trouble in the future.

Heh.

You should take a gander at the link in my sig.

My daughters of 5, 6, 7, and 12 all know about gun safety and gun use. They shoot all the time.

Its precisely this kind of wreckless behavior that will eventually entitle the government to ban weapons all together. Your daughters of age 5,6,7 ARE KIDS and cannot be expected to act as adults. Its the reason we also have laws for drinking and driving in most countries.

You are not rejecting me, you are rejecting common sense!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
You know, at first I was a little shocked when I read this, but I'm British, and we all seem to have this gun fear bred into us, even though I would love to have guns as a hobby personally. I'm stuck with airsoft, but I digress.

If it's been shown that lower gun crime occurs when more people are armed, then surely that's the best model to work from? Not some bunch of "what if" scenarios that haven't happened yet. Also, I think if there's a chance the guy you're arguing with is armed as well as yourself, then it would first and foremost be a war of words and force people into being a little more mature in their actions when having disagreements, instead of the usual descent into punching and kicking. I'm sure if there was any concern then taking away the firearm rights of individuals who forfeit a set book of rules in these colleges would take place. It won't be the free for all my mind was originally picturing.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

I think that (primary) school workers should be able to be armed if they please.

Students, not until they turn 18. Once you are able to enter the military, you have the right to open carry wherever you please.

That is in line with the founding fathers.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776

Originally posted by muse7
So, instead of protecting ourselves you propose that we give up even more freedoms and put up with more intrusive groping??????

Since college students are technically adults I guess its ok to allow them concealed carry permits. The only thing that bugs me is that fraternity/sorority groups are known to live it up and if a few people get a little too drunk well...........

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

Its precisely this kind of wreckless behavior that will eventually entitle the government to ban weapons all together. Your daughters of age 5,6,7 ARE KIDS and cannot be expected to act as adults. Its the reason we also have laws for drinking and driving in most countries.

You are not rejecting me, you are rejecting common sense!

Oh really?

Everyone I know learned to shot about that age.

I am not saying allow kids to carry.

I am saying that kids need to be taught how and when to use a gun, and the amount of safety that is needed.
edit on 2/20/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: Thought I was replying to someone else. Amended my comment.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Really?

How many shootings happen at a gun show?

Gun show = campus?

Would you pull a gun on someone who was armed?

Hell no, I would duck/cover/get the hell out of there and call the cops.

Thought you were an Aggieman. More like a Longhorn man

Typical...and original response.

As an aside, Arizona is an open carry state....many in that fateful crowd were carrying. What took down the gunman? a citizen with cojones. No shots fired from any of the gun toting, 2nd amendment promoting crowd. You can argue your case and I can argue mine. But, gawd help us all if Prick Perry gets his way....folks will die....and still, some people will call for even more freedoms on gun laws, as if that is the answer.

What have there been in Texas, one significant shooting on a college campus? back in the 1960s....and no open carry law in the world would have prevented, or minimized, that tragedy.

I'm all for gun rights; however, guns on campus is a disaster waiting to happen.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

This doesn't change any laws regarding age requirements for permits, does it?

If not, these same confused, drunk, hungover, jealous, immature angry, etc. kids are the same ones next to you in the grocery store, gas station, etc.

It would seem to me that the only reason these citizens currently can not carry, is because they chose to go to college.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I can see it all now....

A hotly contested football homecoming, liquored up students, a wrong call by ref, and total pandemonium as the pistols come out. In stead of a brawl would turn into a shoot out between opposing fans and teams.

Imagine this with pistols.

www.youtube.com...

or

www.youtube.com...

how long would it be till a racial war broke out?

www.youtube.com... very strong language.!!! !!!

more....

www.youtube.com...

Guns on campus...great idea!
edit on 20-2-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Should they give high school students guns as well? What about middle school students?

It doesn't change the age requirement, so unless you are 21 years old, then no.

edit on 20-2-2011 by Oaktree because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oaktree
reply to post by Aggie Man

This doesn't change any laws regarding age requirements for permits, does it?

If not, these same confused, drunk, hungover, jealous, immature angry, etc. kids are the same ones next to you in the grocery store, gas station, etc.

It would seem to me that the only reason these citizens currently can not carry, is because they chose to go to college.

And these same confused, drunk....kids are just as likely to go ballistic on a stranger at the grocery store as they would be to go off on the actual person that crossed them as they encounter that individual in their daily schedule on campus?

If you believe that, then welcome to fantasy land.

This new law would provide zero "cool down" time for the jaded college student.

As things are, some folks may illegally carry on campus....and those folks could potentially shoot someone; however, that demographic is minimal.

With the proposed change to the law, many will carry. The same fools that would have gotten aggressive before will still get aggressive; however, this time, they have a gun, whereas before they wouldn't have.

It only takes one instance of this to prove the negative consequences of this proposed change in the law.
edit on 20-2-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Thank gawd I graduated before this law passes (assuming it does). My prediction: campus shootings go up. It's one thing to have confused, drunk, hungover, jealous, immature angry, etc. kids on campus who can inflict some damage with a fist in the heat of the moment....it is quite another to give them the option to carry a gun into a packed campus.

These people obviously choose to overlook the two campus shootings Austin has experienced, one of them in 2010.

What purpose? Why? What ever happens on a college campus that necessitates being armed to protect oneself? (unless you were a Kent State protestor, of course...)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Don't let your ideology get in the way of your common sense.

Guns on campus....are you stupid? Alcohol and gunpowder don't mix. Didn't your grandfather or dad teach you anything?

I'm a lifetime member of the NRA and this is one of the most stupid things I can imagine.

I hope this is just "Pretty BoY" Rick Perry and another one of his dumbass political stunts that he is famous for.

He is an embarrassment to Texas.
edit on 20-2-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join