It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

news.yahoo.com

AUSTIN, Texas – Texas is preparing to give college students and professors the right to carry guns on campus, adding momentum to a national campaign to open this part of society to firearms.

More than half the members of the Texas House have signed on as co-authors of a measure directing universities to allow concealed handguns. The Senate passed a similar bill in 2009 and is expected to do so again. Republican Gov. Rick Perry, who sometimes packs a pistol when he jogs, has said he's in favo
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Im not really sure what to think about this one. Im pretty much 50/50 at the moment.

I think it kind of sounds good, as long as the people carrying the firearms are actually trained in how to use them properly.

But, I also think its dangerous because what if the person carrying the firearm just snaps, and goes nuts.

I dont really know. I guess Ill have to see this in effect to see how it all works out.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 20-2-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Thank gawd I graduated before this law passes (assuming it does). My prediction: campus shootings go up. It's one thing to have confused, drunk, hungover, jealous, immature angry, etc. kids on campus who can inflict some damage with a fist in the heat of the moment....it is quite another to give them the option to carry a gun into a packed campus.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
hmmm dunno about this, is it not better to have security or checks for guns on pupils, doesn't really matter if someone can shoot back they will still have been shot in the first place...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I am all for it. People should be allowed to open carry or concealed carry anywhere without interference. I carry whenever possible. Except for airline travel, I carry 95% of the time, and I am soon leaving my current job because of the required airline travel it entails.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
This is the perks on living in Texas. Comon Y'all join us and if you mess with Texas you get the boot. Anyways, we will see this unfold to new direction when an unbalanced student starts reaking havoc.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Good for you brother!

It's a shame the damn liberals think the founding fathers didn't intend for me to carry an uzi.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by awakenone Anyways, we will see this unfold to new direction when an unbalanced student starts reaking havoc.
However, in that situation, other students will be armed and capable of defending themselves and others. Though I suppose armed citizens should not act to defend left wing gun grabbing liberals. We would not want to assault their consciences and values. It would be best to allow them to be victimized as they clearly prefer.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I like how morons think that when people are intent on going crazy they think that they will abide by some stupid campus rule or a gun free zone….
They will(crazy killers) will think twice now with this new rule.
Thank god for Texas.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Allowing guns in colleges, restaurants, grocery stores, churches, gas stations, laundry mats, library's,.....
What's the big deal? It's all America with it's thousands and thousands of laws. And still with everything covered from spitting on the sidewalk to murder, your still going to have the butthead that will break the law. When guns are outlawed, only the outlaws will have guns!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stuffed
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Good for you brother!

It's a shame the damn liberals think the founding fathers didn't intend for me to carry an uzi.

Cool

Is it a carbine Uzi or pistol Uzi?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
In texas before you are able to carry a concealed weapon you have to take a classes, and background checks are preformed before you get a license. As a mother it gives me a sense of comfort to know - at least my child would have a fighting chance if some weirdo snapped. It's not right when only the criminals are armed.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776

Originally posted by awakenone Anyways, we will see this unfold to new direction when an unbalanced student starts reaking havoc.
However, in that situation, other students will be armed and capable of defending themselves and others. Though I suppose armed citizens should not act to defend left wing gun grabbing liberals. We would not want to assault their consciences and values. It would be best to allow them to be victimized as they clearly prefer.

Call me crazy, but I suppose there is a difference between grabbing guns and turning a college campus into
a virtual militia and potential battlefield. I don't want to assault your conscience, values and sage like wisdom, but I have seen how a one on one fight can easily turn into an excuse for others to be violent. After the first 100 rounds no one will know who is good and who is bad, just like a bar fight, with guns

"hey guys, lets protect all these potential victims with a hail of flying bullets!"

God Bless America
edit on 20-2-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Should they give high school students guns as well? What about middle school students?

While I hate gun bans of any kind, I think there should be limits somewhere, otherwise we are just asking for trouble in the future.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
It took me reading through all of your posts for this to filter through my system. some of the comments are knee jerk reactionary. I was in the AirForce at Homestead from 1979-1983. When we were stopped at a red light punks would walk up to ya, pull up their jackets showing they have a pistol.Car in front car in the back nothing you can do.EXCEPT show him your Colt Python 357 Magnum Nickel Plated 6in barrel if he is still there show him the cylinder is full of lead. When the then Govenor adopted Florida citizens the ability to conceal the crime rate dropped measurably.
There wasnt war on the streets. Citizens wernt killing dirtbags, it wasnt 8pm on a Friday night in Dodge City.
It was the mental picture a criminal had that he could be met with the same threat that he was posturing to impose.
This is the intent of the thought of Texas............Soooo Johny now just goes to an abandoned parking lot and shoots himself instead of going to the college campus and unloading on a cafeteria then shooting himself
edit on 20-2-2011 by mikeybiznaz because: spelling

edit on 20-2-2011 by mikeybiznaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mikeybiznaz

and by the way this Thread isnt about High school USA or middle school any place its about Texas and College
edit on 20-2-2011 by mikeybiznaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by grumpydaysleeper
In texas before you are able to carry a concealed weapon you have to take a classes, and background checks are preformed before you get a license. As a mother it gives me a sense of comfort to know - at least my child would have a fighting chance if some weirdo snapped. It's not right when only the criminals are armed.

In most densely populated school districts weirdos don't have the chance of snapping and killing others because everyone has to pass through a metal detector and/or pat-downs...much like the tsa stuff without the x-ray machines.

However by allowing almost every student the right to carry a concealed weapon, it greatly increases the risk of a small misunderstanding escalating into all-out mayhem.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Thank gawd I graduated before this law passes (assuming it does). My prediction: campus shootings go up. It's one thing to have confused, drunk, hungover, jealous, immature angry, etc. kids on campus who can inflict some damage with a fist in the heat of the moment....it is quite another to give them the option to carry a gun into a packed campus.

Really?

How many shootings happen at a gun show?

Would you pull a gun on someone who was armed?

Thought you were an Aggieman. More like a Longhorn man

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07
Should they give high school students guns as well? What about middle school students?

While I hate gun bans of any kind, I think there should be limits somewhere, otherwise we are just asking for trouble in the future.

Heh.

You should take a gander at the link in my sig.

My daughters of 5, 6, 7, and 12 all know about gun safety and gun use. They shoot all the time.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

Heh.

You should take a gander at the link in my sig.

My daughters of 5, 6, 7, and 12 all know about gun safety and gun use. They shoot all the time.

Would you support your daughters getting educated in a classroom with several firearms about the room?

Would you teach in such a classroom?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join