It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Evolution is so smart, then why hasn't it come up with the wheel?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I mean really, all those anti-creationist people think evolution is so great and explains everything, then why hasn't it come up with the wheel?

gotcha!!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
simple...nature has no need of advanced human tools...only humans depend on human constructs. spheres and circles along with all geometric shapes abound in nature. look in the cobweb of your mind and see the spiders there understand this....
edit on 20-2-2011 by CaDreamer because: typo

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Evolution isn't a 'smart' process. It's totally random. There is no plan. It is not a process driving towards ultimate perfection. There is no 'perfect' being at the end.

Sometimes a random mutation happens that gives an organism an advantage over others. For example, a giraffe is born with a longer neck than it's peers. This giraffe will be able to eat leaves higher on a tree than its competitors and is therefore more likely to survive - it can access food that others can't. It may then live longer, reproduce more, and this trait becomes prevalent in the gene pool.

It's not a 'smart' process but a random one - the vast majority of such mutations do not give any advantage at all but every now and then, one happens that is of benefit to the organism.

I'm afraid your post does suggest a lack of understanding of this concept.

edit on 20-2-2011 by sputnik because: edit removed cos my comedy finale might have come across as a bit abusive - you entitled to your opinion after all

+12 more 
posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Touché sir!

The Echidna:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a63f86e53a27.jpg[/atsimg]

The hedgehog:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/25a9e9e39f1d.jpg[/atsimg]

The Armadillo:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1beeaf16eff9.jpg[/atsimg]

And... My personal favourite.

The Armadillo Lizard:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/32716b757697.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
because nature is too busy making terrifying creatures like this to freak us all out!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
Touché sir!

The Echidna:

And... My personal favourite.

The Armadillo Lizard:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/32716b757697.jpg[/atsimg]

And there you have it. this is a great response and i wish i could reward you with more than a star.
edit on 20-2-2011 by okamitengu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Please tell me the OP is trolling? If you're going to make an argument for or against evolution, atleast think it out and/or use a little bit of logic. Lol

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Raelsatu

religious "creationists" seem to have problems with critical thinking it seems

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

Ok, fundamental problem with this post: Evolution isn't smart. It's an unguided, non-random change in allele frequency over successive generations that selects for beneficial changes and regulates for negative changes.

And why can't we have a biological wheel? Because a living body is unable to produce a wheel separate from an axle. A wheel moves freely along an axle, they must exist as two non-connected entities.

Granted, there are animals that role as Big Raging Loner already pointed out, but there's actually no way of developing a wheel that freely moves upon an axle.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by pirhanna
If Evolution is so smart, then why hasn't it come up with the wheel?

Evolution is not smart. Evolution is.

why hasn't it come up with the wheel?

It didn't need a wheel. Man is the result of evolution and man created the wheel.

I just watched a special about Galapagos. What a fantastic testament to evolution! The Cormorant is a bird whose wings are so small, it can't fly, but it sure can swim! It's amazing!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

I mean really, all those anti-creationist people think evolution is so great and explains everything, then why hasn't it come up with the wheel?

gotcha!!

Gotcha? Before you go claiming some sort of victory for one of the countless religions, I suggest you send some time, and it will take quite some time, examining the natural human attribute of attaining deep meditation.

You don't need a religion or even a general belief in God to do it. Actually, a belief in God may be a hinderance because along with that concept comes various kinds of baggage that humans, usually priests have attached, that interfer with a clear preception of what it is...and what it isn't. If you don't chose to look into, I suppose your present position whatever it is will be satisfactory as long as you don't claim that it is superior over the next person's religion or concept of God. But you seem to have expressed that atitude already, so you have some work to do on yourself.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

It did. Bacterial flagellum

edit on 20/2/11 by Astyanax because: simple is better.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Perhaps you should google platonic solids and the seed/flower of life. Pi, the golden ratio. The human body is constructed perfectly to the golden ratio. Tubes and rods are the same as a wheel. A cylinder? These items are seen in the human cell and can accomplish exactly what a wheel can.

www.geometrycode.com...

www.geometrycode.com...

www.song-of-songs.net...

edit on 21-2-2011 by favouriteslave because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by CaDreamer

wrong cadreamer my boy....the flagellate on a bacterium is created in the cell in 20 minutes....it spins 17000 rpm and can reverse direction so fast it's within 240 degrees of the revolution...the parts that create the spin....would blow your ever lovin, freakin mind to see em....huh

edit on 21-2-2011 by GBP/JPY because: YAHUSHUA

edit on 21-2-2011 by GBP/JPY because: Yahushua is our new King

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

gotcha!!

You are incorrect, Sir.

ahem....

They have proteins that are otherwise only found in bacteria, including the little electric motors that
they use to provide energy to the cell from food and oxygen. These rotating proteins are a bacterial invention -
bacteria have motors that consist of wheels rotating within wheels that are used to drive their propellers - bacteria
invented the wheel billions of years ago.
Mitochondria even have their own ribosomes of a type not found elsewhere in
the cell - in short they resemble bacteria in every way except one - they are totally dependent on their host cell and
cannot live without it, indeed the host cell cannot live without them, the two have evolved to work together in mutual
symbiosis. Some organisms (including bacteria) have no mitochondria, but some can engulf bacteria and use the
energy that they make in the same way - so the processes that gave rise to mitochondria are still happening today.

And there is more! I cannot possibly do justice to this subject in so little space. Cells are much more complicated then I
have let on, and much more clever. Take mitochondria for example, they contain extremely complex machinery on the
nano-scale, including thousands of tiny electric motors about 10 nanometres (10 millionths of a millimetre) across that
spin around as they convert electrical energy into chemical energy for the cell. Cells are very complex and highly
efficient chemical factories

link - cronodon.com...

yaaaaawn....

so the mitochondria nano - rotors are here to support the evolutionists' side...

HOWEVER....I subscribe to a more .. Intelligent beings invented a good amount of genetic lifeforms here on Earth... but implemented a necessary process built into their creations... something like a dynamic adaptability program where the lifeform would mutate and change to adapt to it's surroundings... and this program could be intelligent in of itself .. so intelligent it could create new and unique inventive methods of accomplishing said adaptation...

-
edit on 2/21/2011 by prevenge because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Because it wouldn't be feasible and it already came up with an engine to power alternatives to the wheel that are actually way way more efficient and reasonable.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
Granted, there are animals that role as Big Raging Loner already pointed out, but there's actually no way of developing a wheel that freely moves upon an axle.

I could imagine a way that a wheel on an axle could evolve biologically, though it would be extremely difficult and thus unlikely to ever happen. Also, I think in most natural environments a wheel would actually be quite detrimental to mobility. Legs are much better at getting around difficult terrain - there's a reason the U.S. military is doing research to develop walking vehicles. Such a detrimental evolutionary path probably won't last very long, even if it ever got going in the first place.

Only a few natural terrains, like a very flat desert (i.e. the Bonneville Salt Flats), would be conducive to a being that used wheels as a means of getting around.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by LifeInDeath

I could imagine a way that a wheel on an axle could evolve biologically, though it would be extremely difficult and thus unlikely to ever happen.

How would you cope with blood circulation? You'd need to manage inflow to and outflow from the rotating wheel. Hard to do without getting your pipes twisted.

Also, I think in most natural environments a wheel would actually be quite detrimental to mobility. Legs are much better at getting around difficult terrain... Only a few natural terrains, like...the Bonneville Salt Flats, would be conducive to a being that used wheels as a means of getting around.

Correct. I actually mentioned this in my earlier post, then edited it out to increase the impact of the flagellum.

Actually, the only advantage of wheels is energy efficiency. Admittedly, that's quite an advantage.

edit on 21/2/11 by Astyanax because: of twisted pipes

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by LifeInDeath

I could not agree more. For a wheel to be fully effective, prepared surfaces are required. Most terrian is not conductive for wheeled transportation. Rocky areas, forrests, maontains, mashes and bogs, undulating terrain are all hostile to wheeled motion.

Evolution, or creationism chose not to produc the wheel because there are far more efficient modes of transport.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join