It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Justification for the war

page: 1

join
share:
dom

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I found this little snippet while surfing around. I think it summarises very well the circular thinking which seems to be coming from the Whitehouse and Whitehall...

"
Food for thought... I'll take some mushroom tea, please...

All right, let me see if I understand the logic of this correctly. We are going to ignore the United Nations in order to make clear to Saddam Hussein that the United Nations cannot be ignored. We're going to wage war to preserve the UN's ability to avert war. The paramount principle is that the UN's word must be taken seriously, and if we have to subvert its word to guarantee that it is, then by gum, we will. Peace is too important not to take up arms to defend. Am I getting this right?

Further, if the only way to bring democracy to Iraq is to vitiate the democracy of the Security Council, then we are honor-bound to do that too, because democracy, as we define it, is too important to be stopped by a little thing like democracy as they define it.

Also, in dealing with a man who brooks no dissension at home, we cannot afford dissension among ourselves. We must speak with one voice against Saddam Hussein's failure to allow opposing voices to be heard. We are sending our gathered might to the Persian Gulf to make the point that might does not make right, as Saddam Hussein seems to think it does. And we are twisting the arms of the opposition until it agrees to let us oust a regime that twists the arms of the opposition. We cannot leave in power a dictator who ignores his own people. And if our people, and people elsewhere in the world, fail to understand that, then we have no choice but to ignore them.

Listen. Don't misunderstand. I think it is a good thing that the members of the Bush administration seem to have been reading Lewis Carroll. I only wish someone had pointed out that "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" are meditations on paradox and puzzle and illogic and on the strangeness of things, not templates for foreign policy. It is amusing for the Mad Hatter to say something like, `We must make war on him because he is a threat to peace,' but not amusing for someone who actually commands an army to say that. As a collector of laughable arguments, I'd be enjoying all this were it not for the fact that I know--we all know--that lives are going to be lost in what amounts to a freak, circular reasoning accident. --

Peter Freundlich / National Public Radio / 13.03.03
"

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 07:28 AM
link   
As I've said before, though I agree with the war...I do not agree with the reasons being cited by Bush. It IS circular logic. There are many valid reasons that Saddam needed to be ousted, but he went about it completely wrong. Some of those reasons, wouldn't exactly look very pretty to the world, or to Americans in general, but it still needed to be done... I just hope we can put back some of the pieces when his bungling is all said and done.... *checks his calendar for the next election...* May our troops come home safe and soon...

posted on Mar, 23 2003 @ 01:36 PM
link   
...And all the while that we're all sitting here on our butts trying to make sense of the nonsensical & unscrew the inscrutible, there are people *dying*...Some of them coming from own own families!

It's past time to smell the coffee...We gotta wake up & get to work NOW! It's time to stop the insanity & get people back home where they belong...THEN we'll have some time to figure out the sane solution.

new topics

join