It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trojan Horse or some kind of Virus

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Just curious if anyone else out there has been getting virus' from this website? I have antivirus software loaded and operational. I post here a few times and whamo--my computer received some nasty bug--I had to reload software and wipe the drive.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueGrit

Yes sir I have several times while trying to open a thread on ATS in a new tab on Firefox.

Some times my anti-virus catches it and cleans it other times I get prompted to download something that I just cancel...

hmm and I thought I was the only one...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueGrit

hi im xploder
i have been on here for over a year and never had a problem
what makes you think it was this site?
if you follow links in threads you should open them in a safe browser like sand boxie
do you use a personal firewall?

some things you can do will help prevent a future problem

and welcome to ats

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Most people who use antivirus software know very little about computers or computer programming. As someone who has made them in the past, I'll let you in on a little secret, get rid of it. Don't use the software, 99% of the time everything an Antivirus program is telling you is total BS. They are all false positives to keep you using the software. Also the program isn't going to prevent you from catching anything really.

Reformat every 3 months.

Enjoy your PC and don't worry about getting a virus. 99% are harmeless, and the other 1% can't cause any real harm either.
edit on 20-2-2011 by Tephra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
ha...this literally just happened to me 2 minutes ago. very strange. I don't know much, but it wanted me to download some binary file to protect my computer....ummm, no.

i can't imagine that the site is doing it.....but then again, what could it be......

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I've never gotten a virus but i've had ports scanned a few times no biggie b/c my anti viruses(yes more than 1 just to be on the safe side) catches it and blockes it.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Yep. Twice, though it was a Windows computer with no anti-virus software.

I use Linux now - Breath of fresh air, it is.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
I use Linux now - Breath of fresh air, it is.

BAH, you are always promoting linux..one of these days I am going to try it and then you will be inundated with all sorts of questions. Just you wait..

by the way, I have never been hit with anything from this website except for a few aggravating ads..

Get rid of the ad's and bring back mutter...please..

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

You know, I never really did figure out how to use Gimp. your thread disappeared into the forgotten other-lands of cyber space. Where are the Gimp tutorials!?! Crop and add borders, that's about the end of my ability....

As for the ads on ATS, I'm pretty sure that's were I got hit with the malware, back in the day. I don't see many ads anymore (Yay for the old points system!) So, don't worry about it as much.
edit on 20-2-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
i think it would help the site owners immensely if those of you who have gotten infected while browsing ATS would take note of the ads that are being hosted on the page that you're browsing at the moment of infection. i've been on here almost every day since i registered and have never encountered any viruses/trojans/malware from this site.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by toreishi

I have been hit several times with trojans on ATS. I know it was ATS because it would re-direct to one of those web pages that forces the "scan" while it really actually downloads.

I could not cancel it, or close the tab. I was forced to CONTRL ALT DEL and use task manager to stop it. Windows Security caught it and deleted it.

I usually keep the New Topics tab open, and as new posts show up, I open the tabs, sometimes 10 or so. This time, it was about 6, and as I was reading the page is when it happened. Even clicking on the bottom task bar was not allowed, it completely locked me in.

I had not opened any links. I was browsing and one of the adds on the top of the page is what I think did it. Didn't say anything because I could not tell what tab it was, as it had forced the redirection to the "scan" page.

Files showing up as the following:

Rogue Win32/Fake Spypro - 4 times
2-14-2011 10:13 PM
2-14-2011 12:44 AM
2-8-20-11 8:12 AM
2-3-2011 9:17 AM

Trojan Win32/Alureon.DX - twice
2-14-2011 12:44 AM
2-10-2011 3:12 AM

Every time it does the same thing, and I am forced to use task manager to close down, and have to run a scan.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
thanks for posting that info, i'm sure that it would be very helpful to the people who can do something about this issue here on ATS.
normally i wouldn't advice people to use adblock coz ads are one way that the site administrator's make money after all and w/o finances then they won't be able to sustain this forum for long, but if it keeps happening to y'all it might be prudent on your part to look into installing some form of adblock for your favorite browser. just to keep your computer safe.
edit on 2.20.11 by toreishi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Thanks for all the comments and replies...don't use antivirus software? Don't know much...this is true...the more I learn the less I know...anyway...glad to know I'm not the only one. You shouldn't have to format every 3 months...I will say this...the computer i use for cruising the net isn't my main vain to the net...the port scans are real too...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by toreishi

Yep. I also run Zone Alarm, which has been what saved my butt, because an .exe file kept asking permission to access to internet, and I permanently denied it.

I checked my registry, did a DNS flush after dropping my IP, and reset. Seems the Alureon was still a running process even as I posted the message above. It was in task manager as Agent OXJ or something.

Scanning again, though I think it was artifact leftover from the registry. Cannot seem to find it now, after rebooting several times.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I put up a thread a few days ago about an infected ad on ATS, but almost everybody immediatly disregarded it and said it was my own computer that's infected even though it's very unlikely. Now that there's other reports, maybe it'll get investigated.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
You could always run the Chrome web browser. It sandboxes any malware/virus threats.
edit on 23-2-2011 by Xerxes1434 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Xerxes1434

Chrome does not make you immune. It has it's own vulnerabilities and exploits. There's no way to be truly impervious to outside threats asside from severing the connection completely.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Except that Chrome reports all your internet activities to the Mother Ship! No thanks.

SrWare Iron and Comodo Dragon are options for Chrome lovers who want a bit more autonomy from the watchful eyes of Goog.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

Except that Chrome reports all your internet activities to the Mother Ship! No thanks.

SrWare Iron and Comodo Dragon are options for Chrome lovers who want a bit more autonomy from the watchful eyes of Goog.

Preferences> Under the Hood> Privacy uncheck the box that says "Automatically send usage statistics and crash reports to Google"

Here is an article on what they do and do not collect Link
edit on 26-2-2011 by Xerxes1434 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tephra
Most people who use antivirus software know very little about computers or computer programming. As someone who has made them in the past, I'll let you in on a little secret, get rid of it. Don't use the software, 99% of the time everything an Antivirus program is telling you is total BS. They are all false positives to keep you using the software. Also the program isn't going to prevent you from catching anything really.

Reformat every 3 months.

Enjoy your PC and don't worry about getting a virus. 99% are harmeless, and the other 1% can't cause any real harm either.
edit on 20-2-2011 by Tephra because: (no reason given)

LOL, I beg to totally disagree and it shows how little you know about programming, viruses, and how easy it is to get infected.

I manage a computer repair shop, we use a whole arsenal of tools to clean off infected computers. I can tell you for a fact that most viruses are harmful in sort of way. I'll give you a clear cut example, and I'm sure an expert such as you self will agree.

Fake antivurs variants, like Antivirus 2008/2010, Antivirus XP, System Tools and other fake antivirus install without the user's permission by exploiting security holes, usually through the browser, email attachment, or a piece of software. Once on the machines, it will lock down the machine so it becomes unusable and it will attempt to trick the user into providing a credit card. Not only do you have to worry about identity theft but often times when these fake AVs are installed, other pieces of malware will install it self as well.

To say 99% of viruses are harmless is beyond ignorant, but to speak in such authority makes me laugh.

Computer security is a huge issue and the problem is only getting worse.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join