It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uprising flares in Libyan city (Military siding with protesters)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Uprising flares in Libyan city (Military siding with protesters)

english.aljazeera.net

Anti-government protesters in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi have reportedly seized army vehicles and weapons amid worsening turmoil in the African nation.

A local witness said that a section of the troops had joined the protesters on Sunday as chaos swept the streets of the city, worst hit by the uprising against Muammar Gaddafi's 42-year old rule.

Mohamed, a doctor from Al Jalaa hospital in Benghazi, confirmed to Al Jazeera that members of the military had sided with the protesters.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
We are not over with this yet, some of the military is still siding with the tyrant Gadhafi and are performing massacres in the streets of Benghazi and other Libyan cities. Protesters are now on track heading towards Gadhafi palace outside of Tripoli where they hope to burn it to the ground. 25 died on Sunday alone in Benghazi, the site of an absolute massacre, leaving over 200 dead so far.

Could this finally be the end of Gadhafi and his 42 year tyrannical rule over the people and nation of Libya? We can only hope!

english.aljazeera.net
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2/20/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
One by one, one by one, the evil dictators fall. Governments are going to have an increasingly hard time controlling their populations if they do not act in their best interest. These movements have had a global effect in awakening people to the power they have over their governments. For example, in the US, we have riot control, police, military, and the national guard. But all of those combined could not control the american population, in the end it is just common math, 100's of millions is greater than 10's of millions. We outnumber them and we always will, and trust me, if the US gov't ever does anything soo bad, they will be removed forcefully as we have the right under our constitution to abolish the government and start a new one. Good luck to all those protesting and our prayers are with you, "long live the revolution"

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
This week's chronology here www.abovetopsecret.com... if you're interested.
edit on 2/20/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by KevinB

S & F Misoir.

KevinB I sure hope they keep falling, and wish the Libyans all the luck in the world. You are right about American too, plus there would be no small numbers of mutinies in the armed forces I would expect.

For anyone who doubts that, the Uniform Code of Military Justice says this about being ordered by a superior officer to carry out an illegal order, to wit:

"..An order which is unlawful not only does not need to be obeyed, but obeying such an order can result in criminal prosecution of the one who obeys it. Military courts have long held that military members are accountable for their actions even while following orders -- if the order was illegal."

Not only does a member of the military have the right to disregard an illegal order, they are expected to do so.

Should a situation arise in the US similar to Egypt or Libya, I trust the oath we took upon commissioning would be adhered to:

"I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same.."

We swear to support and defend the Constitution, not any one president or congress or regime.

edit on 20-2-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: spelling

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I don't know how this will end in Libya - - unlike Egypt, which lost its revolutionary leader in 1970 (R.I.P. Nasser), Libya's permanent leader of the revolution is alive and well.

Mr. G of Libya has been much more liberal in recent years. He is an opponent of al-Qaeda; has normalized relations with the former colonial oppressor of Libya, Italy; he is a proponent of an anti-NATO southern alliance; he has abandoned his old pan-Arabism for Pan-Africanism. He actually appears to be quite liberal these days. I wonder whether the revolts will succeed because of this, and also because of his lasting popularity as the revolutionary hero.
edit on 20-2-2011 by SmedleyBurlap because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Bringing in African mercenaries to shoot protesters dead, is not exactly Liberal..

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by firepilot

Then you can imagine how bad it was twenty years ago!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
i said this in another thread but doesnt this all seem a bit to easy? leaders getting pushed out a little to quickly, a little to easily? something doesnt feel right at all to me.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
This would be where the infiltrations pay off.

new topics

top topics

join