It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 ways the world (as we know it) could end

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
For some reason, all of this doesn't seem too sci-fi anymore especially the last one. Zombies! I personally cannot believe how many people I meet or run into on a regular basis who seem totally disconnected to this world. Not so much that they're worried rather, they haven't the slightest clue of what's going on.

I blame most of this on the pharmaceutical companies. There's been an exponential increase of prescription medication lately. People walk around in a daze (especially the elder ones) and dis-attached to everything and everyone. Just look around!

Then we have the possible poisoning of chemtrails, the absolute poisoning of Monsanto GM foods and the deliberate saturation of fluoride in our water!

And putting all that aside, another group of people---- who are just trying to cope---- will either turn to recreational drugs, heavy alcohol drinking, tuning out by watching their idiot boxes.... coupled with cooking in their microwave ovens nightly and talking on their cancer causing cell phones!
So I'd say Zombie-ism is just around the corner!

This article is from Mother Nature Network (link at bottom)

12 ways the world (as we know it) could end

Road to destruction

You may not believe the world will end with the Mayan calendar in 2012 or that mankind will simply make the planet uninhabitable, but — if popular movies and books are any indication — there must be a lot of people who already believe the world is ready for its final bow. You may subscribe to a religious End of Days doctrine or even a zombie doomsday theory, but when it comes to the planet's fate, only one thing is for certain: All good things must come to an end.

1) Solar storms

The sun follows an 11-year cycle that is currently building toward its "solar max," during which time the sun is more active. When solar storms occur, the sun can emit tides of electromagnetic radiation, known as coronal mass ejections, or CMEs. CMEs are essentially balls of plasma, and when they reach Earth, they release energy visible as colorful auroras. They may be pretty, but they unleash static discharges that can disrupt or knock out power grids. Solar flares, eruptions of supercharged protons, can reach Earth in minutes and also have catastrophic consequences.

2) Pandemic

One of the most dangerous threats to the human population is a simple virus — that is, a deadly disease that spreads rapidly throughout the world. Within the last century we’ve had four major flu epidemics, as well as HIV and SARS, and scientists says it’s inevitable that another will occur.

3) Planet X

Planet X, or Nibiru, is the supposed 10th planet in our solar system — if we're counting Pluto. According to the Planet X theory, Nibiru is enormous and is on a 3,600-year elliptical orbit that places it in Earth’s gravitational proximity in 2012 — an event that would cause flooding, earthquakes and worldwide destruction. Proponents of the theory cite earthquake and weather data as evidence of the planet’s increasing influence on Earth, and some say that Egyptian records show that the Planet X “flyby” corresponds to Noah’s great flood and the sinking of Atlantis.

4) The Big Rip

According to Big Rip theory, our bodies, the planet and the entire universe will quite literally be torn apart. The theory’s chief proponent, Robert Caldwell of Dartmouth University, explains that the universe is expanding — driven by dark energy — and galaxies are moving farther and farther away from us. The rate of the universe’s expansion is also constantly accelerating like a vehicle that increases its speed by 10 mph for every mile it travels, and at some point, the acceleration becomes so fast that all objects are ripped apart.

5) Global warming

Whether you believe in man-made warming or not, there’s no denying the planet is getting hotter. In fact, 2010 tied 2005 for the warmest year on record with global temperatures 1.12 degrees Fahrenheit above the 20th century average. And there are some who say that we’re running out of time to stop irreversible climate change — in fact, by some calculations we’re less than a decade away.

6) Gamma ray burst

When a supernova explodes, it unleashes a massive gamma ray, or high-frequency electromagnetic radiation. Most of these huge bursts of energy take place too far away to harm Earth, but if one occurred within 30 lightyears from the sun — which is pretty close on the cosmic scale — it would be disastrous. The gamma ray would blow apart a portion of the planet’s atmosphere, produce worldwide fires and kill most of Earth’s species in just a matter of months.

7) Computers take over

It may sound a lot like the plot of “The Terminator,” but computer technology is advancing daily and some believe that self-aware machines could become self-replicating and take over. After all, there are few areas of life where computers don’t intrude — they run banks, hospitals, stock markets and airports. Previously, computers were only as good as the humans using them, but artificial intelligence has the potential to create independently acting machines capable of outsmarting or destroying their creators.

Renowned scientist Stephen Hawking thinks computers could be a threat and argues that humans should be genetically engineered in order to compete with the phenomenal growth of artificial intelligence. In a recent interview he even said, “The danger is real that they could develop intelligence and take over the world.” The idea of a computer takeover may sound absurd, but you never know, we could be in the Matrix right now.

8) Pole reversal

According to polar shift theory, there have been shifts in the positions of the North and South poles and the Earth’s axis rotation, and a sudden shift occurs every 400,000 years. Such a shift would create catastrophic events, including earthquakes, tsunamis and floods, and naturally, many predict this catastrophic flipping of the poles will occur in 2012.

While the continents do make slow movements, scientists say it’s extremely unlikely they would cause the poles to reverse, and NASA says “a reversal in the rotation of the Earth is impossible.”

9) Electromagnetic pulse

Just as solar flares or coronal mass ejections could wipe out power grids, so could a sudden burst of electromagnetic radiation. The science is the same, but security experts say the cause is more likely to come from a more sinister source, such as the detonation of a nuclear weapon. An EMP blast — whether from a weapon or solar activity — could destroy our entire electronic, transportation and communications infrastructure in less than a second. If such a blast occurred over the United States, 90 percent of all Americans could be dead within a year, according to the Congressional EMP Commission.

10) Nuclear war

The Cold War is over, but the threat of nuclear war still exists today, with a number of countries possessing the capability of deploying such destructive devices. In addition to threats from the explosion and radiation, there are also indirect effects such as contaminated food and water supplies, poor air quality, destruction of power grids affecting communication and transportation, and nuclear winter.

11) Asteroid

Movies like “Deep Impact” and “Armageddon” may be works of fiction, but the threat of an asteroid hitting the planet is quite real. After all, the Earth and moon have craters that prove they have a long history of being hit by large objects from space.

In 2028, the asteroid 1997XF11 will come close to hitting Earth, but scientists say that won't actually happen. However, if it were to hit the planet, the mile-wide rock would race toward the surface at roughly 30,000 mph and probably wipe out most life on the planet. The species that did survive would be in for a rough life after such a catastrophic event.

12) Zombies

From annual zombie walks to popular TV shows like “The Walking Dead,” zombies have never been trendier. But could they be real? While dead humans can’t come back to life, certain viruses can induce aggressive, zombie-like behavior. For example, rabies, a virus that infects the central nervous system, can cause people to become extremely violent. Combine rabies with a flu-like virus that enables it to spread through the air, and you could have a “zombie” apocalypse on your hands. Scientists say a hybrid rabies-influenza virus is theoretically possible, but it would be difficult to engineer.

Read more:
www.mnn.com...
edit on 20-2-2011 by Human_Alien because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-2-2011 by Human_Alien because: spelling

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
DOOM!! DOOOOOM!!!

Great thread. I tend to lean towards the possibility of us just doing ourselves in, with disease and/or global warming.

I had never heard of "The Big Rip". I need to look that up!

Star and flag

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by InertiaZero

Great Threat. All the possible endings in one place. S+F

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Having skimmed over it real quick and seeing things like EMP and Global Warming listed just made me realize it was a joke, or at least I hope it was a joke writeup.

Look, I recommend everyone reads this quote and remembers it well. "Men go and come, but Earth abides."

This is the truth. The earth goes through cycles, Extinctions are the foundation for thousands of new species. The cycle is driven by a few things, solar radiation, magnetic reversal, and glacial cycles being a few. (not crustal displacement or pole shift)

We will be driven to extinction at some point, so long as we don't expand to other planets....but take comfort in knowing that something else will replace us.

I will tell you this, without a doubt, there is no global warming threat, quite the opposite.
edit on 20-2-2011 by Tephra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
The world was first destroyed by Water; next time it will be by Fire.
What would cause fire?
1) Nuclear War and the attendant firestorm
2) Firestorms from a pole shift causing earthquakes breaking gas lines fostered by high winds.
3) Global warming creating excessive heat and drought
4) Asteroid creating an ELE with fire and brimstone raining down.
edit on 20-2-2011 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Here's my favorite:

The Earth turns into a star and hostile aliens evacuate the population.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Where was the post on the alien apocolypse. What if our universal friends seem that we are no longer fit to live on this planet and then destroy us? What if like on the guide to the galaxy they want to make a highway right through Earth? Just a thought =)
Other than that great list and good explanations.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
ACCORDING to the mayan calendar its only that the countdown its over BUT,doesnt say or mention ANYTHING about the earth coming to and any type of END like the sad Y2K or the infamous end of times by the year 2000.ITS surreal how somebody turn this stop caunting dates from the mayan calendar into the end of the world.Even the mayan elders from now ,dont know the real significance of it because they been tranformed from the original culture to an modern one.There can be other reasons to even have the desire to exterminate life in this world,from religions,to military takeover,or both.ALL comes down to offer and demand,LIKE excuse me how do you like the end of the world?????WE have the option of give you a gun and terminate yourself or the nukes,or better the new viruses that we dont know how to control.Well its for sure that will happend but 2012 its not the sign of times.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
For some reason, all of this doesn't seem too sci-fi anymore especially the last one. Zombies! I personally cannot believe how many people I meet or run into on a regular basis who seem totally disconnected to this world. Not so much that they're worried rather, they haven't the slightest clue of what's going on.

I blame most of this on the pharmaceutical companies. There's been an exponential increase of prescription medication lately. People walk around in a daze (especially the elder ones) and dis-attached to everything and everyone. Just look around!

Then we have the possible poisoning of chemtrails, the absolute poisoning of Monsanto GM foods and the deliberate saturation of fluoride in our water!

And putting all that aside, another group of people---- who are just trying to cope---- will either turn to recreational drugs, heavy alcohol drinking, tuning out by watching their idiot boxes.... coupled with cooking in their microwave ovens nightly and talking on their cancer causing cell phones!

[IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/11gk6ex.jpg[/

so "elder" people walk around in a daze? If anything you have that backwards, older folks tend to live in the real world, not the ATS version of the real world.

and as for idiot boxes as you call TV, I think alot of people have just traded TV for the internet and there is just as much BS on here. So don't think because you spend all your time on the internet you are somehow smarter or better than people who'd rather watch what they know is fiction on TV instead of reading fiction disguised as fact..as so much of ATS is.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Good list but I don't believe global warming or zombies will end the Earth.

If scientists did create a plague that escaped or was released that caused people to become zombied - then they would just die from starvation/dehydration in a couple days.

And no - they wouldn't eat humans to sustain life like in the movies.

And yes - they could be killed with a single shot.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tephra

I will tell you this, without a doubt, there is no global warming threat, quite the opposite.

I agree with much of your post except the above.

I believe the core of the Earth is heating up......and that's what they're keeping from us. The air temperature increased what 1.3 degree in a decade? So what? My bodily temperature fluncuates more than that!

But yes, global warming (greenhouse) is bull crap and we all know that now. Haven't heard too much from Gore now have we?

Do you remember when aerosol cans were being blamed for poking a hole in the ozone? I do and I felt guilty using spray deodorants back in the day.

May I pose a rhetorical question to those who scared the bejesus out of me and my family back then? How come you haven't not only stopped the manufacturing of aerosol cans but almost increased them? I mean, do we REALLY need Pam spray in a can? Surely we can give that up to protect the ozone layer!

Lies create fear and propaganda leads to agendas!

Just go on and enjoy your lives. Really. We have nothing to lose at this point. It looks like the end as we know it ...will change in one shape or form very soon anyway, so why worry about it?

I am actually looking forward to it because the way this world is currently being ruled, run and ruined?....I've become very aware (and appreciative on) how forgiving Earth is by granting us all these tomorrows as she's been doing. Because if I were this planet? I'd have bucked the global population right off (and all their toys) and started all over again 50 years ago!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

They did this on a radio station down here a month or so ago. People were calling in with their guesses about what number 1 on the list might be. It was pretty funny, actually, considering the topic.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Electric Crown

so "elder" people walk around in a daze? If anything you have that backwards, older folks tend to live in the real world, not the ATS version of the real world.

and as for idiot boxes as you call TV, I think alot of people have just traded TV for the internet and there is just as much BS on here. So don't think because you spend all your time on the internet you are somehow smarter or better than people who'd rather watch what they know is fiction on TV instead of reading fiction disguised as fact..as so much of ATS is.

There are MORE seniors on heart, diabetes, arthritis, sleeping aide, high blood pressure, anti-coagulant, anti-depressants, anti anxiety, anti-diarrhea, anti-inflammator medications than I would have EVER imagined.

I worked with them and my dad is one of them and I know his friends.
Trust me. It's very much the case. Maybe it differs demographically but here in south Florida, there is a doctor, Urgent Care, hospital, Walgreens every 2 miles.

Doctors LOVE treating the elders with pills down here. It's a state-wide concern. They are artificially keeping them living longer but yet their quality of life isn't making it worth it especially the financial aspect of it!

But that's a whole other thread for another time.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
ZOMBIES...HMMM...YES DEFINETLY ZOMBIES FOR ME!! I WANNA BE THE GUY IN DAWN OF THE DEAD WITH THE SNIPER RIFLE ON TOP OF THE BUILDING THAT OWNS THE AMMO STORE!! HAHAHA.. P.S. I HAVE NO CLUE WHY I DID THIS ALL IN CAPS LOCK LOL

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tephra

I agree with much of your post except the above.

I believe the core of the Earth is heating up......and that's what they're keeping from us. The air temperature increased what 1.3 degree in a decade? So what? My bodily temperature fluncuates more than that!

But yes, global warming (greenhouse) is bull crap and we all know that now. Haven't heard too much from Gore now have we?

Do you remember when aerosol cans were being blamed for poking a hole in the ozone? I do and I felt guilty using spray deodorants back in the day.

May I pose a rhetorical question to those who scared the bejesus out of me and my family back then? How come you haven't not only stopped the manufacturing of aerosol cans but almost increased them? I mean, do we REALLY need Pam spray in a can? Surely we can give that up to protect the ozone layer!

Lies create fear and propaganda leads to agendas!

Just go on and enjoy your lives. Really. We have nothing to lose at this point. It looks like the end as we know it ...will change in one shape or form very soon anyway, so why worry about it?

I am actually looking forward to it because the way this world is currently being ruled, run and ruined?....I've become very aware (and appreciative on) how forgiving Earth is by granting us all these tomorrows as she's been doing. Because if I were this planet? I'd have bucked the global population right off (and all their toys) and started all over again 50 years ago!

You do realize that the global temperatures have been cooling for the last 9 years? The oceans are warming because of underwater volcanics are increasing rapidly. This isn't because of the earth's core destabilizing. This is because this is the way of the Earth we live on. It's not a total paradise for humanity, it has it's flaws. One of them being that the Earth exists in a glacial state more often than not.

Volcanics reduce the temperature of the planet, this is for a few reasons I can't really be bothered to write up at the moment, however the results that occur if the ocean temps increase slightly while the surface temps lower is a recipe for major snow records being broken over and over. Ocean temperatures reflect on precipitation. We have broken thousands and thousands of snow and cold records these last few years.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

May I pose a rhetorical question to those who scared the bejesus out of me and my family back then? How come you haven't not only stopped the manufacturing of aerosol cans but almost increased them? I mean, do we REALLY need Pam spray in a can? Surely we can give that up to protect the ozone.

They were the cause. They had CFC's in them. They were bad. They have replaced the cfc's now with a different propellent. Fridges used to use CFC's as well.

new topics

top topics

join