It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I hate the DMV!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I will be taking my behind-the-wheel driving test soon at the MVA and i'm absolutely terrified. My friends almost all failed it the first time. And it's not like an easy trip. The closest MVA location is 40 minutes away. So, i'm under pressure from my parents to pass it the first time. I'm the type of person where if i know i'm being evaluated, and the spotlight is on me, i do worse than if i'm just on my own.

I don't even want to drive. The grocery store, gym, and village center is a 5 minute walk away. School is a 4 minute walk. And the pool is a short 1.3 mile run or bikeride. But i need to drive because the community college i'll be starting at in the fall is a 5 minute drive away and public transportation is not a feasible option.

We went up to my high school today to try and parallel park. But i'm just not good enough at it. I can do it, but i have a hard time getting the car straight or within 10 inches of the curb. And i struggle to do it in under 2 minutes. Why do they care if i know how to parallel park? I will literally drive around and find a non-parallel parking space, just so i don't need to parallel park.

I start seeing red if i even so much as think about the DMV. I feel an unbelievable amount of hatred toward the DMV. Not necessarily the people because they're just doing it for the money & to feed their family, but the system behind it. Yet another control system by our wonderful government (sarcasm). It's stupid and bureaucratic. I just want to get this over with and if i fail, I'm not sure how I would take it. It's not out of the possibility that i would totally flip out at the person.

This whole DMV thing is stupid and illogical and badly needs a reform. They need to be more lenient that there are different driving styles, and not everybody backs up the same way with an arm on the passenger seat, or parallel parks in under 2 minutes. And besides, many people drive recklessly anyway after taking the test (not saying i will). It's just stupid
edit on 20-2-2011 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Yeah the DMV is such a pain in the ass but it seems to serve a purpose. Imagine if anyone who didnt know how to drive just got on the road and went their own way. More crashes then the stock market if you ask me. I barely passed the first time and that was several months ago but im sure you'll do better if you don't give them a hard time. Good luck.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

Thanks. Will they fail you if you give them a hard time, and do they mention if you're doing something wrong?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

They will fail you if do certain moves wrong. Also they want you to not ask them questions unless its about your driving methods. Keep a cool head and follow their instructions carefully and youll do alright. Also having good perception is a must!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
No, the DMV is not "stupid." If you can't pass a simple driver's test, you may be. And someone who blames the DMV because they fail the test is stupid. Passing the driver's test does not make you a good driver, but it at least certifies you can get a 3-6,000 pound, multi hundred horsepower weapon down the correct side of the road reasonably safely without endangering others. Passing the written test at least proves you know most of the rules of the road, which are designed to keep you and everyone around you alive.

Of course, the test can't measure attitude. You can technically pass a test, but that doesn't mean you will actually drive responsibly. If they COULD measure attitude, you'd fail in a heartbeat. If you really don't want to deal with it, get a bicycle.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Harsh but very true. Your actions on the road can determine if you can make it from point A to point B without taking someones life. I remember In El paso people could barely drive. Might have something to do with people from mexico with chihuahua plates and no insurance but thats a topic for another day. Drive in a responsible manner and watch the roads closely.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I do everything with driving fine, but parallel parking is where i struggle. i've been practicing a ton, but still struggle to get the car straight and within 10 inches of the curb.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I always found that driving a small car is the easiest way to drive. Driving those big pick-ups is just a no go for me. Saving gas also makes it worth it in todays garbage economy. Lets us know how it goes when its over.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

could i rent a smart car just for the test?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Get a bicycle and don't whine!

You don't NEED a gas guzzler and it would also save you going to the gym and forking out for that gas.

Also, if you can't pass the test then it is a good thing. Other road users would be safer and you will be made to get more experience before being unleashed on your own and appreciate that extra knowledge more than someone who breezes it and becomes a boy racer.

Worked for me.
edit on 21/2/2011 by nerbot because: spellig

top topics

join