It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP Spill, Scientist finds Gulf bottom still oily, dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Big Surprise here. Things not going as well as TPTB told us they would.

Despite the Massive consequences from this disaster effecting the climate, foodchain, and economy. These people are still making money hand over fist.

Oil from the BP spill remains stuck on the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico, according to a top scientist's video and slides that she says demonstrate the oil isn't degrading as hoped and has decimated life on parts of the sea floor.

Story

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
lol, I just read the article then came here to ATS and found your new thread on it... information spreads like a wildfire and moves like lightning!

It's scary for them to say everything is still dead or dieing at the bottom... more food for the 'Black Blob' rolling around the gulf?
Blacks Blobs in the Arctic and now Florida...

I'm afraid this crisis is far from over, that we have yet to see its peak...perhaps within the next few years...perhaps sooner...time will tell.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I honestly don't get it? Can these big companies capitalizing off pollution and disaster, do nothing wrong? They completely screw up the ecosystem and here they are, already getting ready to drill in new areas....I mean I know oil is "needed", but these disgusting greedy fvcks suppress revolutionary energy research just so they can make another billion, and destroy nature in the process. They value the DOLLAR, more than they do the Earth itself, the health of human beings and animal life. The mentality is distorted into something not even natural....

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Can I go slightly off-topic?

One of my minor peeves is when someone is describing the death and/or destruction of virtually a whole "area" or "tribe" or "city" or "animal population" and they choose to use the word "decimate". Decimate means to kill or destroy 10%, or 1/10...hence the use of the prefix "deci". Most authors use the word to make it sound like a horrible thing, but in reality they are saying it was only 10%.

I guarantee you that what the author meant to say was something to the effect of, "it's a virtual dead zone." I'm sure you creative types could come up with a much more appropriate sentence or phrase.

Just sayin... :-)

Edit- Just to be clear...I'm not saying that killing 10% of something (except ants and roaches) is OK...I think you get my meaning.

edit on 20-2-2011 by DragonTattooz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Check out this propaganda
If video doesnt work heres link www.youtube.com...

almost as cool as this one about global forces of good
If video doesnt work heres link www.youtube.com...

edit on 20-2-2011 by LetsTouch because: trying to fix videos

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
You would think that they would at the very least have to demostrate their procedures have been tightened before they start drilling to show that it won't happen again. They should also be subject to ongoing checks to confirm that these are being kept to and no short-cuts are being taken.

Personally though I would say that until they have cleaned up the site properly and the perps suitably punished they are not allowed to do any more drilling.

If they are allowed to get away with this what kind of message does it send?

It is time these big money grabbing corps start taking proper responsibility and care and look beyond the profits.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonTattooz
Can I go slightly off-topic?

One of my minor peeves is when someone is describing the death and/or destruction of virtually a whole "area" or "tribe" or "city" or "animal population" and they choose to use the word "decimate". Decimate means to kill or destroy 10%, or 1/10...hence the use of the prefix "deci". Most authors use the word to make it sound like a horrible thing, but in reality they are saying it was only 10%.

I guarantee you that what the author meant to say was something to the effect of, "it's a virtual dead zone." I'm sure you creative types could come up with a much more appropriate sentence or phrase.

Just sayin... :-)

Edit- Just to be clear...I'm not saying that killing 10% of something (except ants and roaches) is OK...I think you get my meaning.

edit on 20-2-2011 by DragonTattooz because: (no reason given)

No need to edit i think most of the ppl here got it lol...yeah there was alot more than 10% dead i'm gonna go out on and say add another 70-80%..i've got family down there and to hear them talk its still bad.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

idiots ;/

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I'm glad at least some people in this short-attention-span world are still reporting on this and looking into it. This is a nightmare and probably will be for many years to come.

She also showed pictures of oil-choked bottom-dwelling creatures. They included dead crabs and brittle stars — starfish like critters that are normally bright orange and tightly wrapped around coral. These brittle stars were pale, loose and dead. She also saw tube worms so full of oil they suffocated.

"This is Macondo oil on the bottom," Joye said as she showed slides. "This is dead organisms because of oil being deposited on their heads."

Other than the people who live on the Gulf and have had their lives so directly effected, it almost seems that no one cares anymore. Anger rising as Gulf spill claims process drags

new topics

top topics

join