It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians, why are you afraid of adapting other philosophies too?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by bogomil

How do you validate if anything is 'from him'?

Extremely simple, the entire Bible can be shown to be an integrated message system with thousands of predictive verses of future events long before they happen. It's proof that the source for the message is outside the spacetime dimension.

This validates it for you. Definitely not for me, as your basic methodology is flawed (as far as you have presented it, which is not much) even on its own terms.

If you call your attitude by its right name: Personal faith, you're on homeground and will at worst only meet academic opposition from me. When you present your conclusions as 'absolutes', you're invasive.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

Not my problem. There are millions of folks walking the Earth that have dialed their degree of skepticism so high that nothing can possibly convince them. I deal with this phenomena often. It's not my job to convince/convict, that's the work of the Holy Spirit.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by RapturedNotBeamed

You wrote:

["By asking myself "Does this line up with what the bible teaches?". It's a yes or no question."]

So by asking yourself you are able to come up with absolute truths about absolute truths. That's quite a gift, especially as it's a circle-argument.

Quote: ["The scriptures are painfully easy to understand. What is there to interpret?"]

If the scriptures are so easy to understand, why are there 34.000 interpretations?

How do you relate to information from outside your own source(s), especially when this information is in disagreement with your own conclusions?

Quote: ["That it is the doctrine of man and at its core is really just an excuse to continue living a life of sin."]

Another circle-argument.

When differences of opinion/interpretation occur, do you then start a dialogue, endlessly repeat your own absolute 'mantras' or will you eventually resort to invasive tactics or violence?

Quote: ["Neither. I'm not endlessly repeating my 'mantras', I'm having a real discussion about topics concerning scripture. If there is one thing I will forever repeat, it will be that the bible is very clear."]

Yes, but this thread is not about discussing scripture. It's about the unwillingness of some christians to adapt other philosophies.

Btw is "forever repeating that the bible is very clear" not endlessly repeating your own absolute mantras?

Considering that you give tolerance a lower priority than whatever truth YOU arrive at, such questions and possible answers will define you and the kind of christianity you represent

Quote: ["I wouldn't expect any less."]

If you have such atttitudes and also possibly hope for some evangelization-effects from your posting, I believe you could have chosen forums better suited for this than ATS.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

Another circle-argument.

No, it's a Biblical argument, you're failing to consider some people have a Biblical worldview.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

If you have such atttitudes and also possibly hope for some evangelization-effects from your posting, I believe you could have chosen forums better suited for this than ATS.

I just know what I'm walking into, that's all.

There are many interpretations of scripture because people feel the need to 'interpret' it to fit into a box of their own design. Also because of mistakes, but not as often. And when I said "I ask myself.." I'm not forming my own truth, I'm saying that if it is not in the bible, then it's junk. It's not a circle argument, and neither is the rest you called out. It would be IF there was a need to interpret the bible, but there isn't. People look for hidden meanings and try to connect dots that are abstract.. but the bible is as simple as it gets. If you understand the language it's presented in, there is no interpretation required. Just read it.

Btw is "forever repeating that the bible is very clear" not endlessly repeating your own absolute mantras?

Guess that didn't come across as I meant it. I meant "If there WERE to be something I'd repeat forever... etc". And it's not a mantra, again it is just the way it is.
edit on 26-2-2011 by RapturedNotBeamed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

Nope, not his personal mantra..

I say the same thing too.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by RapturedNotBeamed

You wrote:

["There are many interpretations of scripture because people feel the need to 'interpret' it to fit into a box of their own design."]

As far as I can see, you're only regressing the answer back to the basics of your own mindset, = YOUR box. If you wish to claim any objectivity about this, as compared to other christians, feel free.

You are ofcourse in an indirect way answering to the question in OP, which I won't or can't object to.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by bogomil

Another circle-argument.

No, it's a Biblical argument, you're failing to consider some people have a Biblical worldview.

I do know, what a biblical argument is. It's the same as a flying spaghetti monster argument or my own metaphysical argument or a 'scientism' argument.

Circle-argumentation, if it's presented as exclusive 'absolute truth'.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

Nothing more than your prejudicial conjecture, and you're entitled to it.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join