It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Martha Stewart Sentenced Today - 5 Months in Prison

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cattlespy
If she even gets to prison - deferred pending the appeal process - I wonder if that will 'soften' her demeanor at all... she says she is not frightened 'at all'... if not, she truly is nutso.. because I'd be shakin' in my shoes at the idea of going to the big house!

hehe, like she wont have her own one bunk Hilton at the Big House. Somehow I don't think she'll miss out on much. The real punishment woud have been to raid her accounts and pay back all the people she has screwed over, that's where it really would've hurt her as her actions have proved money is all she cares about.

Of course that wont happen though, as others have said she'll lap it up in her one bunk Hilton and then when she gets out she'll make millions off a book of her jail experience (insert deep, dramatic voice)"Martha: Doin' Time!".
So she'll come out of this doing better than ever and the people she screwed will be no better off.

Why should people be allowed to write books and profit off their crimes? Sure, if you want people to know your story then great but if (come on, it's when and we know it) she releases a book shouldn't the profits go to the people she screwed or a charity?

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Let this be a lesson to all of you women who want to be sucessful in business! Boys only!

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I can't believe it only five months!!!!! If she actually does the time it will be a lot less than what she actually deserves. But for someone who seems to be as controlling and ruthless as she is maybe it will teach the cold, and unrepentant Ms. Stewart a little humility. Then again maybe she is too far gone to learn what it is like to live without a staff of hundreds fearing the new "Queen of Mean's" Wrath. Meanwhile I am sure not buying anything with her name on it EVER again!!!!!

Oh and it has nothing to do with her being female!!!!! It's all about being a criminal!!!!

[edit on 16-7-2004 by Bravehart007]

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   
No big deal,

Slick Willy lied to congress, "I did not have sex with that women" and he was never charged!

So what did everyone think, that Martha was going to get 10 years.

get real!

But here is the kicker, Martha has appealed and if found gility the second time, she could get a far harsher sentence.

last I heard MSL stock up and Kmart down.

john

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I can see Martha in jail making personalized christmas cards for all the guards and inmates. She will some how come up with a way to make her jail cell look festive. Jail will never be the same once Martha Stewart is there

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Remember, she was not convicted on insider trading. She was convicted for lying to a federal investigator. The money involved in the insider trading part of it is probably what she has as loose change in her beach tote.

Stock in her company SKYROCKETED after the sentence was announced.

As far as the insider trading, if you got a tip that stock you were holding was going to nosedive, what would you do? Not too many of us would hold onto it.

Not an excuse for Martha, just my .02.

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I agree with the sentencing but would like to see community work added on.

Martha Stewart is denying that she did anything wrong. She is in complete denial with an attitude.

God

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I'd love to see Martha's jail cell. Her prison sentence is probably going to equal what us normal folk would consider a vacation.

I saw a special once on "when celebrities go to jail" or something like that. It is possible to "ugrade" your cell... if you have the money...

The sentence is going to be a piece of cake for her.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
As far as the insider trading, if you got a tip that stock you were holding was going to nosedive, what would you do? Not too many of us would hold onto it.

If you're referring to material nonpublic information by "tip" (as opposed to a vague uncorroborated suggestion from a colleague) then I would most certainly hold onto it unless I was 100% certain that my action would leave no trail (and the broker is the weak link in that certainty). Why? Because otherwise I'd risk jail, and every trader knows this. And I certainly wouldn't risk jail over an amount that is not significant relative to my wealth.

If we let Stewart get away with this (and some would say that we have...), it would send the message to every person in the industry that insider trading is okay. Then people would naturally actively pursue insider trading opportunities, and confidence in the US financial system would suffer. These regulations exist for a reason.

Martha will not suffer much in prison if she goes there. Women are not at as great a risk of rape from fellow inmates in federal prisons as men. Further, and I saw this on television news, she is will most likely buy friends in prison (through, say, favours for those inmates families outside of prison) to ensure her safety.

Further,
The appeal is not the only legal proceeding in Stewart's and Bacanovic's future. The Securities and Exchange Commission has filed civil insider trading charges against both, alleging that a stock tip violated securities laws. The SEC is seeking monetary damages and to bar Stewart from serving as director of a public company and limit her activities as an officer.
www.duluthsuperior.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 09:29 AM
link   
She got off easy. 5 months , she do 3 1/2 months... The probation is the kicker. Three years is not fun. But she is famous so im sure she will get it easy.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 04:30 AM
link   
For someone that worked previously at the stock exchange, and is as wealthy as Martha is, to try and cheat the system to make about $50k, which is more than most Americans make in a year....is disgusting and shows her contempt for us "little people" that support her business.
she should have gotten a tougher sentance.

Unfortunatly, prison makes celebraties even more desired in this cult of personality, and she'll milk her new bad girl immage for all its worth once she comes out....

top topics

<< 1   >>

join