It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Martha Stewart Sentenced Today - 5 Months in Prison

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   
At approximately 10am EST Friday morning, style maven Martha Stewart was sentenced on the four felony counts she was convicted on in March. She faced up to 20 years in prison for obstruction of justice, conspiracy, and making false statements.
She has received 5 months in a federal penitentary, 5 months of house arrest, and 2 years of supervised probation. She will also be fined $30,000.

Reuters
She will serve her house arrest at her home in Bedford, NY, where she must wear an electronic monitoring device.

It was expected she would face 10 to 16 months in jail.

[edit on 16-7-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I have watched a little of that marta thing and for the life of me cant figer out what is it that they are trying to put her in jail for to begin with???
I mean real? only thing I hear about is she had inside info on stocks?
and was told to sell so how is this a crime? I mean if I bought into gold and found out it was fixing to drop like a rock id be selling like gang busters.
Its not like she was embesling like the enron thing.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Maybe then only way out is to campaign for a Presidential Pardon...

Found this yesterday....

cafeshops.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   
She is tried for conspiracy and she had inside info that the stock was going to fall to fall which is illegal and all of this crap that they are trying her cuz she is a woman is BS she lied to the feds all she had to do is apologie and tell the truth and she wouldn't even have gone to trial but she got greedy and paid for it.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 09:16 AM
link   
She will serve five months in jail, five months house arrest, two years probation. Big deal!

[edit on 16-7-2004 by Omega Pickle]

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Besides Someone who sat on the board of the New York Stock Exchange should know better. Also to someone who is worth millions, she would have only lost a few thousand dollars- she paid more than that in court costs. She is getting what she deserves---------she broke the Law Period!!!

[edit on 16-7-2004 by Bravehart007]

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Yes, and after she gets out she'll write a best-selling book about the experience while she is confined to one of her probable multimillion dollar houses for 5 months. Poor Martha!

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Little drapes made out of napkins, pillow cases that serve as china hutches, shivs used for plant stands, etc...

Hopefully she'll end up at ClubFed and have her own apartment...

m...

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Is martha a terrorist?

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I think it all boils down to the fact that martha stepped on a LOT of people on the way to the top, If she was in the service she would have been fragged. I beleive this is just some of those people getting back.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
She deserves it and more. Some of you say it's not a big deal to do this. She just sold her stock with insider info and everyone would have done the same. This is not a victimless crime. Think of all the people invested in the company. Even elderly people. The money she got from selling out is the investors money. What if this money is all some people had. A few thousand bucks gone would be a travesty for me. All those that didn't have the info lost all their money and it went to these crooks that sold out knowing it was gonna drop. She deserves at least 2 years for doing it and another 5 for being a rich pompous a$$hole.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I'd never thought I'd see the words "Alert" and "Martha Stewart" in the same sentence.

This country is friggin insane.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Doesn't really matter how much money she had to spend on court costs in the end, she'll only end up writing a book when she comes out which'll make her more money lol

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Even the Hand-cuffs have been Martha'ed...so there warm and soft.

Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I didn't realize Martha's trial was part of the "war on terror".

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
ATSNN ALERT! stories appear on the main page of all forums.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I think Martha should have had to pay back all those investors who lost money plus interest. Her getting 5 months in prision isn't going to help them any. Like another poster said, "This is not a victimless crime." Whether Martha is in prision or not the investors still lose. The only thing they can do now....is to tell two friends and they tell two friends and so on...and so on.....to stop buying Martha Stewart's magazine and anything associated with the Martha Stewart Empire.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
5 Months....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   
She was kinda feisty in her post sentencing speech outside the courthouse. She reduced her legal infraction to a 'small personal matter'... uh... something tells me she still doesn't 'get' it.

Hardly seemed the time to hawk her magazine!

If she even gets to prison - deferred pending the appeal process - I wonder if that will 'soften' her demeanor at all... she says she is not frightened 'at all'... if not, she truly is nutso.. because I'd be shakin' in my shoes at the idea of going to the big house!

Maybe she's just trying to maintain the appearance of having some shred of dignity left.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee
ATSNN ALERT! stories appear on the main page of all forums.

Ah, OK, I understand. Sorry for the newbie mistake.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join