It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arrests after "Jasmine Revolution" call in China

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Arrests after "Jasmine Revolution" call in China

www.channelnewsasia.com

BEIJING - Several top Chinese rights activists have disappeared into police custody as a web campaign urged angry citizens to mark the Middle East's "Jasmine Revolution" with protests, campaigners said Sunday.

Up to 15 leading Chinese rights lawyers and activists have disappeared since Saturday amid a nationwide police mobilisation, according to activists, while the government appeared to censor Internet postings calling for the demonstrations.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Looks like China is continuing to do everything they can to curtail any of its citizens from growing a spine against their own repressive regime and rise up, Egypt-style.

Quite a few reports of them blocking off web-sites reporting on the Egyptian events have come up in recent times, and now it appears they are ARRESTING anyone who even TRIES to set up protests.

They appear to be even more pro-active (albeit much less violent), having police already pre-stationed at potential protest sites, and even conducting SURVEILLANCE and waiting outside of activists homes, and following them around.

Straight out of 1984...

www.channelnewsasia.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 20-2-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
If a strong uprising, if not a revolution, occurs in the People’s Republic of China then all I have to say is, every country is on the table. If China enters chaos then India could, Russia could, France could, and even USA could. China entering an uprising would most likely lead to another economic downturn and send us spiraling downwards, if they had a revolution our economy could go flying back into a recession or even a depression.

Although I see this a potentially great opportunity for America if we would get our head out of our ass and start correcting our system already. Could this be the great awakening of the masses?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

It is the great awakening! The new age of man!

I hope that every single country realizes its destiny is to work together and create a peaceful world filled with opportunity for everyone.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
If a protest in China actually developed into something of large proportions I would also not put it past the Chinese ruling party to nuke its own citizenry. They surely must know that when the commonfolk get it together against their government, it will topple with massive losses. It will be interesting to see if the government actions of detaining the Chinese rights activists will be the end of it. Is the Chinese social media unfiltered enough to allow for the people to see what's going on?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by gardCanada

Many Chinese use the "black internet" so connecting to underground social networks is easy. Everyone has the internet now. Heck, in less industrialized places people volunteer to ride their bikes around with sattelite connections so their local village can get signal. It is the GREAT equalizer.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
China will detain torture and execute as many as it has to to keep hold of power IMO.
Its brave to dissent in Egypt/Tunisia etc,but Its super brave(or suicidal)to do so in China.

Remember the latest riots with the muslim Uigers(sp?).
They were rounded up and shot.

I would love to see a more humane regime in China,but I just can't see it happening any time soon.
The commies have a tight grip on power,and the odd massacre here and there is not a problem for them at all.
They don't care what USA/UK think about them,as they own our debts...
Think about it-does your bank manager give a crap what you think of him?
Well China is your countries bank manager.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Well, the protest or uprising- depending on who views it, will grow legs in China and actually become a changing movement or force that is successful. Then what happens? McDonald's and other corporations go in and fill the power vacuum? Is there enough democratic minded Chinese people who would keep this force their own. Or would they be CONvinced by other attractions presented by manipulative powers to have them give it up.

The only other question I have is how long will it take before it become a movement in China?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by gardCanada

It's ironic you said McDonald's because that is where they met to protest. HAHAH!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Fools that the illegitimate gov of China that the CCP are!

The revolution will not come from the intelligentsia.

It will come and had came from the corporations benefitting from the slave labour. The rot had already began since 1976 when Premier Deng opened up for economic reforms. They thought they had the upper hand, but dictators are beggars as history has shown.

Kill the golden geese and you're done for. Its only a matter of time before the CCP collapses. The corruption by the corportions are endemic, and unstoppable. Push will come to shove no matter what happens. They had dug themselves into corners and graves.

Fools!!!!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

True but scary friend.
Scary because western economies are now so entwined with China that when they fall,it will make our recent recession look like some kid lost his snack money.

At least the toxic imports will stop though..

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I honestly believe we are all witnessing a mass awakening.
This will go down in history as THE turning point in human evolution.
The time we are all living in RIGHT NOW will fill volumes in future history books.

This IS NOT confines to China, Egypt,Tunisia, Bahrain, Yemen, Algeria and Libya.
It is not going to stop in Wisconsin or Ohio.
It CAN NOT be stopped.
The snow ball is gaining momentum by the day.
It is growing and growing.

IT WILL be here soon. The "Protests" in Wisconsin are just the start, mark my words.
I would encourage all of you to prepare as you see fit and try to protect your families to the best of your abilities.
This IS NOT a drill. IT IS actually happening. and it WILL be here soon.
Revolution is like a virus.
It is spreading.
It can't be stopped.
Not you, not I, not the Goverment, Not the Military, Not all of the tanks and WMDs and Bullets in the world are going to stop what is coming.

Stick your finger in your mouth and put it up to the wind.
Which way do you feel the wind blowing?
Look up to the sky.
Don't you see the clouds rolling in?
Can't you smell the nitrogen in the air?
That MEANS something! It means there is a storm a brewin'!!!!!

I am not trying to fear monger. Quite the opposite. This is going to be the turning point to a much better life for all of us.
But it is going to be a bumpy ride. All I am saying is to buckle up and enjoy the ride.

Peace.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

They have gone so far as to arrest human rights attorneys.

"By taking this so seriously, police are showing how concerned they are that the Jasmine Revolution could influence China's social stability."

As the word spread on the demonstrations, numerous political dissidents and rights lawyers were placed in police custody, activists said.

"Many rights defenders have disappeared (into police custody) in recent days, others are under house arrest and their mobile phones are blocked," rights attorney Ni Yulan told AFP.

"The police detachment outside my door has increased. They follow us if we go out," Ni said of the surveillance on her and her husband

Remember The Tank Man!

And to think that at the recent summit TPTB push for a model of economics
on China.

edit on 20-2-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Let me hop in and play devils advocate here:

I'll argue all the legitimate moral, ethical and undeniable reasons why the Chinese Government should silence their populous...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
They only need to look at their own history to see the uprisings that helped topple the order as well as the charlatans who use it to their advantage and try to guide those willing for a new change in power once the leaders have fallen.

That's what worries them, history repeating itself.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
A revolution in China would probably erupt in civil war. There a lot of ethnic tension that would be released if the government lost its grip. The Muslim Uighur in the northwest province of Xinjiang would probably have an uprising for starters.

Interesting times we live in.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
China has been making much progress at change the past several years - its a very large country and peaceful change (which is what they are working on) does not happen overnight. But guess that westerners with the attention spans of gnats, bloodlust and wanting everything instantly will never understand... A violent change in china would effect not just china but the entire of asia and possibly the world.. The u.s needs to clean up its own human rights record before condemning china. Tbh will take my chances and trust the chinese before would ever again trust any western government with their bloodsoaked hands and disregard for human life..

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Every day in China, more and more personal wealth is being created, and every day more and more capitalists are being created.

As capital increases among the population, more and more those who hold the cash will demand more say in events of government.

China likes the benefits of capitalism, but they really haven't gotten around to the cost (to totalitarianism) yet.

Just a matter of time.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
If a revolution happens in China then I'm pretty sure it's safe to withdraw US troops from Asia since there is no business staying there without a threat

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
It's ironic because all of these regimes came into power from revolutions historically.

So it appears that revolutions do not seem to solve the problem.

It's just a band aid.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join