It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$100,000+ Salaries for School Teachers?

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by PlanterZ
Well, my mom is a second grade teacher and I think that all teachers deserve this pay. Teaching is a very tough and time consuming job and unless you've done it, or know someone who has done it, you never really know how much work goes into it. My mother is constantly working on lesson plans, grading papers, writing reports, coping with the stress factor that comes with the job.

I also believe that teaching is one of the most crucial jobs out there. Come on, what would you do without teachers? They deserve that salary.

By the way, teaching is a "highly skilled job".
edit on 20-2-2011 by PlanterZ because: (no reason given)

On one hand, I agree, but on the other, I think that the high pay attracts a lot of people who go into teaching for the money, and to get summers off. They could give a crap about teaching kids anything.

I think that teacher pay should most definitely be results-based. Have a low base pay and give bonuses based on student performance. Of course, that is a broad generalization that may not work in every district, but something has to be done to get rid of the bad teachers out there.

The other extreme is to pay them peanuts again so that the people who teach do so for the love of it and not for the money.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
As a parent, I'm pretty disgusted with the way certain states (Alabama) overpay incompetent teachers; don't get me wrong. I believe a good teacher is worth their weight in gold. There just aren't that many of them. I personally believe that Teachers should not receive any automatic pay raises until they have reached a terminal degree in their field. Can't speak for other states, but in Alabama if a teacher wants a $10,000 a year raise, all they have to do is get a Masters degree. In the old days that could be problematic; however, with the advent of the internet it is not that difficult. Particularly as they have the summers off.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by thomasc83

You chose that career and could always change.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

Now there is a thoughtful post. It's obvious to anyone who is paying attention that this is not about salaries. The way they attempted to push this bill through was planed, and similar bills in other state tells me it is an orchestrated effort.

BTW where are the calls from the right to "read the bill" that were so important with health care reform. There is more to this bill then cutting teachers salaries but that is all I see discussed.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Apologies if this was already posted - I declined to read through all 17 pages of posts.

Two-Thirds of Wisconsin Public-School 8th Graders Can’t Read Proficiently—Despite Highest Per Pupil Spending in Midwest

The unions are going to get attention they do not want.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

i have the utmost respect for teachers, but your saying that teachers have to bring take home work is questionable.

i never knew a teacher that had to teach every single period during the day. using their time efficiently they wouldn't have to take anything home. they could have students grade their papers, they could do extra work on their off periods or when kids were in gym class or something. most teachers had study time for their students where they could do extra work while the students studied or read or whatever the case might be. teachers have weekends and most holidays off, spring break, and of course summers. even if the teachers did have to work on classwork during their spare time, teachers should be driven by a passion to teach and to further their students education, not by money!!

edit on 22-2-2011 by conspiracy nut because: spelling

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by intelinside451

Talk to me once Wall Street stops paying million dollar bonuses for creating hot air ...

Bye.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AllIsOne

Money is Wall Street's motivation. They went into the "Hot Air" business for that reason.

Teacher's motivation seems to be the training of a new generation of communists.

Everybody gets what they deserve at the end of the day, eh?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TreadUpon

Teacher's motivation seems to be the training of a new generation of communists.

I'm sorry to hear that your experience was such.

Luckily my kid goes to a school where teachers try to prepare him to use his cognitive skills. Your teachers clearly failed at that.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy nut

Is it possible that teachers could be motivated by passion to teach AND be fairly compensated for it? Why is it a "either, or" question?

The good teachers are here to deny ignorance to our kids. The price tag of a person's ignorance far outweighs a salary of 100k!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
My wife is an elementary teacher. We live in Oklahoma and she makes about 32,000 a year. She has been teaching for nearly 20 years. She deserves at least twice that amount. I can tell that many of you have no immediate family members who are teachers. Those who do have teachers in their families know how much work and time and energy and stress and love that goes into a day of caring for and educating your children. I read someone reply that their child has a high IQ but that the teachers failed him. Perhaps his/her teacher did fail them. More than likely those parents that complain about teachers doing "nothing" are usually the same parents who expect the teacher to educate AND RAISE their child. Teachers can do only so much. The rest is up to the parents. Do you read to your child? Do you participate in homework? Do you have your child read and count to you? Do you even take the teachers advice when given? How active are you with your child when comes to education?
Another thing that irks me are all of the yahoos that complain that teachers are "part time" workers and should not get paid for a full time job. Guess what yahoos. If a teacher works 9 months out of the year, he/she gets paid for 9 months out of the year. NO more, NO less! Most teachers elect to get paid monthly spread out over 12 months. Yes, you guessed it. It is up to the teacher whether they want 9 larger paychecks a year or 12 smaller paychecks a year.
There are always exceptions. Some teacher actually work year round. Coaches etc.
Cheers!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
The teachers AND unions in Wisconsin all agreed to the financial aspects of the cuts - all of them. The Governor rejected them - he is not interested in the financials - he just wants to destroy the unions.

So all of you who think this about teachers getting paid too much - you are wrong.

Further the Governor is not asking for any sacrifice from the most expensive unions, police and firefighters, because they supported him - again - ignoring the FINANCIAL aspect and simply going after his enemies.

So this is not only NOT about the financials - and more about union busting - but is actually about revenge.

Finally the Governor - and many here claim this is about budget - yet the governor also passed $140 million in extra budget costs through breaks to business which were completely unfunded.

This guy - is just a straight out liar.

Finally while he was in Milwaukee he illegally fired a union security company and installed a British private security company - which cost an extra $480,000.00 - the head of this company in Milwaukee turned out to be a convicted felon.

So perhaps those on here bashing teachers need to get their facts straight - and who ever keeps mentioning teh $100,000.00 figure is talking out of their rectum . It has been completely and utterly refuted.

See here

edit on 22-2-2011 by Aristophrenia because: Added video

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sown261

Please thank her for her service to humanity!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Aristophrenia

very interesting video. if i'm getting the story right wisconsin is not really in a budget crisis and their governer has let his power go to his head. the plot thickens.....

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy nut
reply to post by apacheman

i have the utmost respect for teachers, but your saying that teachers have to bring take home work is questionable.

i never knew a teacher that had to teach every single period during the day. using their time efficiently they wouldn't have to take anything home. they could have students grade their papers, they could do extra work on their off periods or when kids were in gym class or something. most teachers had study time for their students where they could do extra work while the students studied or read or whatever the case might be. teachers have weekends and most holidays off, spring break, and of course summers. even if the teachers did have to work on classwork during their spare time, teachers should be driven by a passion to teach and to further their students education, not by money!!

edit on 22-2-2011 by conspiracy nut because: spelling

Once again, walk a mile in a teachers shoes before you spout such ignorance. Take home work is a daily occurance no matter how good of a teacher you are or how organized you are.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Just curious...how many of you teacher bashers spent your time in school goofing off, resenting being there, and generally not paying attention?

I'd wager most of the teacher bashers spent their time in school paying more attention to socializing, ahtletics, gossip, and partying than scholastics.

I'd also wager that most of them never really participated in the education process and just sat sullenly waiting for the day to be over so they could get to important stuff.

Any bets?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by sown261

I have to call BS on that; my father was a teacher for over 30 years, my sister is a single parent and a teacher. She still found time to raise two girls, go through a divorce and complete her Masters in education to get her $10,000 raise last I heard she was considering a PhD. I have several cousins who are teachers. Many of us are simply sick of this sense of entitlement that comes from individuals who aren't willing to work towards career progression.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aristophrenia
The teachers AND unions in Wisconsin all agreed to the financial aspects of the cuts - all of them. The Governor rejected them - he is not interested in the financials - he just wants to destroy the unions.

So all of you who think this about teachers getting paid too much - you are wrong.

Further the Governor is not asking for any sacrifice from the most expensive unions, police and firefighters, because they supported him - again - ignoring the FINANCIAL aspect and simply going after his enemies.

So this is not only NOT about the financials - and more about union busting - but is actually about revenge.

Finally the Governor - and many here claim this is about budget - yet the governor also passed $140 million in extra budget costs through breaks to business which were completely unfunded.

This guy - is just a straight out liar.

Finally while he was in Milwaukee he illegally fired a union security company and installed a British private security company - which cost an extra $480,000.00 - the head of this company in Milwaukee turned out to be a convicted felon.

So perhaps those on here bashing teachers need to get their facts straight - and who ever keeps mentioning teh $100,000.00 figure is talking out of their rectum . It has been completely and utterly refuted.

See here

edit on 22-2-2011 by Aristophrenia because: Added video

Probably the most important truth to even be spoken on ATS.

What is happening in Wisconsin right now is the final battle in the war on workers, the middle class and average, everyday normal Americans by the corporate elite and right wing conglomerate known as the Republican Party - A.K.A the Tea Party.

The war for the freedoms, rights and economic future and welfare of average Americans will be decided right here - destroy Unions you destroy all hope for the free people of America, and enshrine corrupt bankers and their nefarious right wing henchman in their quest to permanently enslave and disempower the people of America.

Watch the video - find out the truth. If you are not a banker, billionaire or Wall St trader then you should be terrified of what the republicans and corproations and doing to your country, of course if you are a billionaire then by all means - continue bashing the unions, health care, education etc, etc.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Aristophrenia

I actually believe in unions, though I never had the opportunity to be in one. Just not many around where I grew up. My perception, based on what I saw in Alabama, was that while the Alabama Education Association officially supported candidates that were pro-education, many of the service personnel and teachers voted for people who did not. This began happening under Reagan and has continued through Obama. Can't say what has gone on elsewhere.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by backwherewestarted

do i get to pick the day i walk in their shoes? if so i would pick july2nd.

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join