It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House votes to let Pentagon sponsor NASCAR races

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
......You don't find them in the hood watching basketball you find them doing and watching outdoor sports. Yes I'm white and live in a town that makes me a minority of minorities.

Very interesting statement but I won't "go there"

edit on 20-2-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Credit where credit is due. I did a little digging and the results surprised me.

Both Rand Paul AND Michelle Bachmann voted YES (yes means for Amendment NOT to fund. i.e. Yes = No.)

It appears they practice what they preach. Seems to splash a little cold water on the members here who were OK with funding and also Tea Party advocates, no?

Odd but try as I might I can't seem to deduce how SOH Boehner voted. Could someone help me out? Does SOH get to vote?

VOTE RESULTS HERE

Related:

The Navy and Marine Corps dropped their NASCAR sponsorships in recent years, saying they didn't know whether they worked.

Link

Ms. McCollum’s office estimates the Pentagon has spent more than $100 million on its own NASCAR teams.

“This is not only putting a sticker on the car. This is paying for a racing team,” Ms. McCollum’s chief of staff, Bill Harper, told Washington Wire. “That doesn’t contribute to military readiness.”

Link

The Army spends more than $7 million a year to sponsor NASCAR Sprint Cup driver Ryan Newman and several million more as part of a partnership with NASCAR. It says the prominent ads on the car and presence at the track help attract recruits.

"Taxpayer-funded NASCAR race cars are an absurdity at a time when the Republican-Tea Party is cutting federal support for homeless veterans, law enforcement officers, and firefighters,” McCollum said in a statement when she introduced the amendment this week.

Link

Go ahead and put your fingers in your ears but it is HARD TO DENY that this luxury spending is prudent given our current economic crisis especially considering funding for vets, homeless and benefits for low income citizens are being slashed. As they say, the FACTS are stubborn.

edit on 20-2-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
What I see...

Members who claim to have a hard on for conservation, making excuses for non conservative policy, isn't this what makes someone a RINO?

I mean ATS collectively abandoned Bush after his performance because he was "a liberal all along"...

Are we trying to set up yet another hand off of responsibility for policy???

Q: Wanna know why people think the TEA party and surge conservatives are full of crap?

A: Things like this and the patriot act revamp -

Only you guys have control of your own policy, so why don't you reign in the people you CAN control, the people you vote for. You have very little say about what liberal politicians do because you do not support them, yet you have tremendous power over the people you might/will vote for, the standard bearers that represent your idealism.

This is the sort of thing that is going to collectively rot out your platform come 2012 - you're taking the piss out of yourself with these excuses

edit on 20-2-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-2-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

As an avid NHRA/ motor-sport fan myself, I think this is something we can finally agree on KK. This is outrageous! What's the point?

And even more importantly, the government has nothing better to do or vote on??!!?!?!?

Thank god my tax dollars don't support the US government anymore!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Another simpleton trapped in the faulty left wing-right wing paradigm.

Get over it already! Most people do not like and did not want the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan!

People fought and died so I could criticize the military. Criticize, I shall!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I'd rather the money was spent on this than abortions.......just my 2 cents. If this is such a big upset to so many folks, what about the rest of the illogical spending our government does?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I think it'd be different if they'd've sponsored Jimmy Johnson or someone that actually wins.

Either way, as a tax payer I don't care if they sponsor a car per branch. Advertising is advertising whether you paint it on the side of a building, on a bench, or on a race car. Some are obviously more effective than others. This is, I think, more effective than if they'd slap it on a bus stop kiosk.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
There are 130,000 Americans who were Disabled Retired from our Armed Forces and they aren't paid.

Congress only pays retiree's with over 20 years of service BOTH their retirements AND their VA Disability. Couldn't have been too disabled if they made it 20 years.

Meanwhile those boys and girls who dove into ditches to avoid mortar fire and broke their spine got Disabled Retired at 15 years and don't see 1 US Penny via a Disabled Retired Check.

Skelton was trying to get it funded awhile ago but Congress didn't want to fund it. Guess they'd rather use their money for NASCAR, wasteful flyovers of stadiums with closed roofs....and other wasteful ways.

Ever wonder why the websites "dontserve.com" or "donotserve.com" are being cybersquatted on? Wonder how much Congress is paying that guy to keep those websites unavailable?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Ive watched the indy 500 before. iseewhere theyre coming from though cause think of all the new recruits the army might get because of ads. or how theyre image may be helped.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join