It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

giving up your citizenship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I know this may piss some Americans off but can you give up your citizenship and move elsewhere and get one there? I know this is a crazy question but I really want to know. I have googled and googled and it really isn't telling me what I am asking. I could be searching incorrectly

If I wanted to move to like Canada, could I give up my citizenship for a Canadian one?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Of course you can. You can probably find a lot of information on the Internet.

travel.state.gov...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
You would want to obtain citizenship in another country before denouncing your US citizenship; otherwise, you won't have a home country to go to. You may end up "caught in limbo" living in an airport like Viktor Navorski (the guy that Tom Hanks played in The Terminal).

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Canadian Emigration

I just googled "emigrating to Canada" and got many hits.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Hi there...

I think it depends on which country you want to move to (each country has its own immigration rules).

I am an American citizen living in Germany. My options here are to keep my U.S. citizenship, dual citizenship, or I could convert to German.

My personal opinion? Move somewhere else, but always keep that U.S. passport! It makes it so much easier to travel. And if you ever want to move back or just visit the U.S. you will not have to deal with the hassle of a obtaining a Visa, ESTA, or other travel document.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

I loved that movie

I have always wanted to move to Canada or France, mostly France. I really just want to start over in a new place and I like Canada a lot. I have friends up there and I have found jobs and apartments. Is it hard to get a citizenship in Canada? Am I able to just move there and work or will they require some kind of visa and sponsor? I have looked into moving to France and well it's very difficult so I don't think I will be going there, but I really like many parts of Canada. I have nothing keeping me where I am and when I look online at places to move to it always brings me back to Canada.

Thanks BH I checked that site out before, it's a bit confusing with all the government jargon but maybe I could talk to an immigration lawyer? I don't really trust them but maybe they will have some guidance.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
Canadian Emigration

I just googled "emigrating to Canada" and got many hits.

Thanks! Yeah my google seach skills are horrible. I can work the ATS search function better

Thanks

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by JarsCloutLife

You are an American living in Germany? Did you marry a German or is your job one that helps the country? Was it hard for you to move there?

I don't think I would ever come back to the states to visit. I don't really having anything keeping me here which is why I want to move and start over. I could keep my passport incase I wanted to visit but I really just want to get out of where I am. I just don't feel I fit in here.
edit on 2/20/2011 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Former Military.

After I paid my dues, got out of the Army I decided to stay in Germany. Europe is just awesome, and because of the current "situation" in the U.S. I feel much safer here in Germany (health care, strong economy, etc.).

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

I took an assesement test and I am eligible for immigration under the Federal Skilled Worker program. I also scored big points for having moderate knowledge of the French lanuage. If I lived there I would be fluent quick.

Thanks! It also said I qualify for a free call from an immigration expert based on my test score.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by JarsCloutLife

I absolutely love Europe. I was in Italy recently and I loved it there. I did not want to come back. I just felt like I fit in more over there than I do here. It was very nice and relaxing compared to the way it is here.

I have family outside of Berlin
never been there but hope to visit someday. Germany is beautiful!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

I took an assesement test and I am eligible for immigration under the Federal Skilled Worker program. I also scored big points for having moderate knowledge of the French lanuage. If I lived there I would be fluent quick.

Thanks! It also said I qualify for a free call from an immigration expert based on my test score.

I say Welcome!
Most of our country doesn't speak French, but I've heard that much more is understood and/or spoken in the eastern side. That's one of the reasons we need French speakers here. I've never been to Quebec, but I've heard that it's beautiful.

Good luck, it's a fairly sane country compared to many others

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Thanks

I have always loved the French language. I am a bit obsessed with France and I always called Quebec my North American France even though I know they really are nothing alike I still love the language and the area is beautiful! It's funny where I live if you speak Spanish you are golden not so good when you speak French. It really doesn't help me! My friend years ago always said I should live in Canada and I know many people in and around Montreal and even they say I would love it there knowing how I am.

I just feel like I need a drastic change right now in my life. I feel stuck in a loop and it's just repeating itself and I just can't do it anymore. I need to get out of it and if leaving the states is what I am meant to do then so be it.

Plus you have hockey and I actually prefer hockey over football and basketball

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

i have done the investigation and i think that most of the countries do not accept you as citizen unless you

have some thing precious to them.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
As others mention - make sure you have citizenship in another country first or if your a dual citizen its bit easier. Hard to do if you just renounce first as then your stateless which means no country would take you without alot of hassle if at all.. Know a few people who are stateless and theyve been trying for years to become citizens in a couple different countries.. Life very hard for them.. Was lucky had dual citizenship so was easy to dump the u.s one..
Good luck and hope that things work out for you.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by hmdphantom

Well I do speak French at a moderate level and that helps me which is good. I also read that what I do for work, retail management is also a plus. Here that job is hated but there it seems like they need people for it. Odd but heck I''ll take it. I love retail management. Always something new and never a dull moment and the pay is pretty good too.

France is very hard to move to and you have to fit their criteria to move there. I dont
even though I am their biggest fan

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

Well after reading a few sites that were suggested I can get a work visa and be able to live there and work as well. I just need to find out how school works for a non-citizen. I don't have to give up my citizenship I just thought it was easier but the more I read the more I see that it isn't as hard as I thought it was gonna be to move there.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Well after reading a few sites that were suggested I can get a work visa and be able to live there and work as well. I just need to find out how school works for a non-citizen. I don't have to give up my citizenship I just thought it was easier but the more I read the more I see that it isn't as hard as I thought it was gonna be to move there.

Ahh yes the PR (Permant Resident Visa) those are quite good. Good to hear that you qualify for the country that you want. In most cases need a student visa to study in other countries - though some will let you register and take courses as a PR holder varies by country. Apologies slow reply .. Raining today and keep lose signal.. Lol monsoon season here..

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

I will also be looking into school while I am there as well. I was in classes here in the states and well long story short it got messed up and it was no fault of my own. Im fixing that mess so I can have my credits transfer wherever I choose to continue my classes.

Thanks

new topics

top topics

join