It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The End of Men? What's Happening in America?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Are the men in the United States losing it? At school, in the workforce and in their families? I thought I'd share these facts and statistics----because they spell out a rather difficult path---especially for young men in America today:

This is NOT a feminist post. This is an interesting discussion on trends in our country and something everyone should be aware of, especially if you are raising sons:

Earlier this year, women became the majority of the workforce for the first time in U.S. history. Most managers are now women too. And for every two men who get a college degree this year, three women will do the same.

Since 2000, manufacturing has lost almost 6 million jobs, more than a third of its total workforce, and has taken in few young workers. Manual labor jobs are drying up. American men need to become adaptable to new workforce trends.

And there appears to be a trend when it comes to sperm selection and in-vitro fertilization: For the first time since this practice began, more couples are chosing girls when it comes to selecting the gender of their child. This is an interesting trend, because "the first born son" has been the organizing principle since civilization started. Men in ancient Greece tied off their left testicle in an effort to produce male heirs; women have killed themselves (or been killed) for failing to bear sons.

Man has been the dominant sex since, well, the dawn of mankind. But for the first time in human history, that is changing—and with shocking speed..

Sociologists are studying whether or not the economics of this era are better suited to women: Look at these most recent facts:

Women now hold the majority of the nations's jobs.

Women dominate today’s colleges and professional schools—for every two men who will receive a B.A. this year, three women will do the same. Of the 15 job categories projected to grow the most in the next decade in the U.S., all but two are occupied primarily by women. Indeed, the U.S. economy is in some ways becoming a kind of traveling sisterhood: upper-class women leave home and enter the workforce, creating domestic jobs for other women to fill.

The attributes that are most valuable today—social intelligence, open communication, the ability to sit still and focus—are women orientated attributes. Physical size and strength aren't as much needed as they were before in this new "information age."

Men dominate just two of the 15 job categories projected to grow the most over the next decade: janitor and computer engineer. Women have everything else—nursing, home health assistance, child care, food preparation. Many of the new jobs replace the things that women used to do in the home for free. None is especially high-paying. But the steady accumulation of these jobs adds up to an economy that, for the working class, has become more amenable to women than to men.

Most importantly, men have seemed unwilling to adapt: Nursing schools have tried hard to recruit men in the past few years, with minimal success. Teaching schools, eager to recruit male role models, are having a similarly hard time. Men have shied away from some careers women have entered.

Women are also starting to dominate middle management, and a surprising number of professional careers as well. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, women now hold 51.4 percent of managerial and professional jobs—up from 26.1 percent in 1980. They make up 54 percent of all accountants and hold about half of all banking and insurance jobs. About a third of America’s physicians are now women, as are 45 percent of associates in law firms—and both those percentages are rising fast.

Women earn almost 60 percent of all bachelor’s degree. In a stark reversal since the 1970s, men are now more likely than women to hold only a high-school diploma.

In 2006, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development began measuring the economic and political power of women in 162 countries. With few exceptions, the greater the power of women, the greater the country’s economic success. Aid agencies have started to recognize this relationship and have pushed to institute political quotas in about 100 countries, essentially forcing women into power in an effort to improve those countries’ fortunes.

Researchers admit some of these changes over the years have been bad for men and bad for kids-------

What do you think ATS?

What happened to the Marlboro Man?

edit on 20-2-2011 by MRuss because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

reply to post by MRuss

He dies of lung cancer

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Well, I appreciate your sense of humor!

I think this is an important subject though...

something everyone should recognize and understand...

Our sons need some focus and direction!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

Maybe it is just a Karma that men have created for themselves over the decades. Men got the chip knocked off their shoulder by thier own actions. You said it yourself about Women in the workforce. These days, women have to work 40 + hours a week, try to shape their children into productive adults and on top of that, we are still expected to do all the "Woman Work" at home; take care of babies, kids, cook, clean etc...

For thousands of years men have been told they are superior to women. It is written in religious books etc..
It is all a males own superiority complex because of their fear of weakness.
Men are superior to women in physical strength only.
With technology and machinery, physical strength is not too necessary in today's work.
Now days women also need to have knowledge of car repairs and home maintenance because, the "Man" fixing it will do his best to scam her out of a few extra bucks.

In 2011, we are still conditioned to believe God is a Man too. It is all 1000's of years of Propaganda.

Dear Women,
All of you, out there living on our beautiful "Mother" Earth, it is also time for us to work together to allow women to remove those ugly Burka's from their heads and expose their beauty. Maybe with everything happening in Egypt, that too will become a reality soon. It will require Women, working together, to make this happen.
We can do it Girls : )

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by MRuss

It's funny you should ask that in this thread... the Marlboro Man was gay... (I'm serious, he really was)

Good subject by the way.

edit on 20/2/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Wow.

I think this is an important topic.

Me thinks the ATS men have been scared away!

I guess it proves my post right!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I think that this is possibly a direct reflection of the de-industrialization of America. the percentage of manufacuring and farming jobs in this country have been dropping precipitously over the past 30 years.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Maybe for the survival of the species its time to be equals; we can not carry on with out the other. Many of the male dominated countries of the world are now in chaos, have very low female populations therefore about to drop in numbers, and are technologically behind those countries that acknowledge that we are equals. Taking back things to the 1800's or further will not solve problems.
If you have feared or had bad encounters with females, I am sorry for you. We will never come out of the dark hole we have dug until both sexes realize we need to work side by side not dominate each other. I do not enjoy seeing that women are surpassing men in the jobs of our countries(US and CAN) I would rather see balanced numbers.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by MRuss
I guess it proves my post right!

Right about what? Your post says that basically women are becoming the more dominant gender as regards the workforce. You're right about that, but what other conclusions are you drawing? Is there a problem with this? I tend to think the natural ebb and flow of things might have some influence on this trend. Pendulums swing back and forth. Societies change... I'm not sure why this bothers you (or if it even bothers you)...

I guess I don't understand the problem (or if there is a problem). Can you expand? What does this trend mean? How will it affect you and the country? What are your fears or concerns?

I certainly don't think it's the "End of Men" as your title implies.
Men have dominated since the beginning of recorded history and women didn't disappear.

edit on 2/20/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
A lot of people have different beliefs. I grew up middle class straight A student active in sports and dropped out because they moved the projects from miles away and split them up between my HS and anorher. I scored a 1540 on my SAT My acedemic abilities was never looked at by anyone because i was lets say just as good in sports so I was a popular unknowing to my classmates a NERD in HS. I never studied for a test 1 day in my life which I lost interest in school after i dropped out because I started working and learned the work I was doing so fast I moved up to making 30 an hour at 18 years old amd got a fake ID to do chase girls at bars and ended thinking I was in love and started using drugs heavily got into crime went to prison for a few years before I went I had a son which I have akways cared for fiancially. I was not a good role model even now his mother doesnt let me see him often which he is my only boy and would die to give him life. He also is straight a student and very into sports. I believe your post stems from the govt having to fulfill positions with women company CEOs are all men for the most part and ultimately make the drcisions. men can will and always have survived the roughest of times and supported there families if you believe in conspirousy theories then i will tell you it will be 1000x's easier to bring down an economy full of women because they are feminine not masculine. The USA is hated by all other countrys because of what we stand fro. I believe it to be true that we have the most decietful corrupt Govt in the world as well but we make and choose our decisions in life and I think women just have a better/easier mentality and are easily manipuleted be social economics and everyhting else they are tol that it makes it easy for them to not see really what is going on around us. You forgot the statistic that 92% of women believe everything they here in the media and read which is all bs and 89% of women believe usama bin laden had something to do with 9/11 which is total bs. There is proof they found the flight records and on 1 of them there is a coversation before the plane left the runway between the cokpit and the tower and they knew the hijackers were already in the cockpit b4 the plane even left the runway so they knew what was happening a select # of people spoke pubicly but anonymously and were told not to board there flight and ppl that worked in the world trade center towersa were told not to go to work on that dredful horrible day weeks in advance. our govt knew and just needed a reason to get back at suddam who mind you had nothing to do with this but they invade his country first and find not one shred of proof of nuculear weapons. The stupidest of the Bush clan George W Jr. just trying to get back at Suddam for making an assination attempt on his fathers life but yet only 11% of women believe that our govt may have had something to do with it lol. Im in hysterics over the trust ppl put into this countrys laws. My brother has a broken phone and took 2 pictures in a courthouse turning his phone on and off it takes pictures and one of was of the hallway the other was of a police officer outta uniform on a bench across from him with another one next to my brother on the other side of the hall and my father and brothers son sitting next to him the cop grabs my bothers phone cause he looked down and seen it was a picture of his buddy across the hall and locked him up for witness intimidation and jury tampering the picture taken of the halway had both men at a far distance that you cant make out and both officers locked hin up and charged him then after 2 days he made bail the officers went to the judge from a totally seperate case and had a different bail revoked over a broken phone a f ing mistake and these are felonies and my brother has a family. they other case he was there for was cops over using the power of the law as well. The point is he has all this # to go through now of cops on a power trip that get away with anything they want and know if anything they will get congratulated for wehat they did because they falsify the reports to make the person look as guilty as they can. TO protect and serve is what the police are suppose to do and if the govt didnt give them a gun there wouldnt even be police on the streets Bottom line IMO. I live in Baltimore so people on this site from here know what i am talking about . Respectfully Wake

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by awakened615

I respect your views and the past that brought you to them. However, I must caution you on the belief that all women are easily mentally manipulated . Many people in the history of mankind have made that very assumption and were greatly surprised to find their "women" were really the 'power behind the throne'. Both sexes are capable of deceit and great intelligence. We choose to be ruled by our emotions and past; we can over ride the urges. Men kill in a moment of anger, women drown their children to run off for passion with a lover.....

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by awakened615
92% of women believe everything they here in the media and read...
89% of women believe usama bin laden had something to do with 9/11
11% of women believe that our govt may have had something to do with it

Where do these statistics come from? I guess I'm not in the 92% or the 89%...

And if you divided your post into paragraphs instead of one huge block of text, it would be infinitely easier to read.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I too would love to know where the "percentages" came from. I do know some people of both sexes that would believe those statements but really!?!?! the masses are just not that stupid. I would say, also, that the females on this site do not fall into the stupid category either

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I have an easier time convincing my mother and girlfriends that there are UFO's and conspiracies in this great country than I do my father, brothers or husband.

What does this trend say?

I don't think it says anything about what sex is smarter: We are both equally intelligent and capable.

I think that society has changed from physical labor to an informational society and men are not adapting to the changes.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

Just keep climbing that ladder while the dishes pile up in the sink cupcake cuz I ain't doing them!
The Marlboro man is in the parking lot because you don't want your hair to smell like smoke. The problem begins when one gender tries to define and shape the other, the roles get reversed and chaos ensues. Now we have grown men walking around with their pants falling down and women who want to look "fierce", it just doesn't work.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trublbrwing
The problem begins when one gender tries to define and shape the other...

Well, then we've had a problem for thousands of years as men have tried and tried to define and shape women to serve their needs.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

Sorry i couldn't resist. On a more serious point , I can see where you are coming from. Takea look at modern advertising or TV shows, men are generally portrayed as being a bit stupid and in constant need of womens help. I blame the media

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I agree we have a portrayal of men as buffoons in the media. But who is allowing this to happen? I,for one, have written in to various media sites to complain about such commercials and ads. If men and women stand up for their rights to be equal partners in our civilization then we will find humans can go forward towards a prosperous future.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Trublbrwing

I seriously can't believe you wrote this.

What hole did you crawl out of? We were trying to have an intelligent conversation about what may be the reason that men aren't going to school, graduating, or finding work..

and you call me cupcake? And ask me to do the dishes?

I'm not even going to argue with you. You're a caveman.

You don't deserve to be in on the conversation, quite honestly.

Go back to sleep.

Or watching football.

I doubt you're listening to Beethoven or reading philosophy.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Herblackwings

Good response! I agree. Why are men portrayed so horribly in the media? Like immature, brainless jerks?

Why is the media perpetuating this stereotype?

What purpose does it serve?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join