It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Before I start this thread , I want to tell everyone that I believe in the Father , Son , and the Holy Spirit and have accepted Jesus an my lord & savior . I have a friend who is an Atheist, and he asked me a question that made me question my belief in Christianity . He asked me how many people have died in the name of the Lord ? I told him probably millions have died in his name , then he asked me how many people have died in the name of Satan ? I told him I've never heard of anyone who has died in the name of Satan , Then he asked me , who's looks like the bad guy in this situation ? I could'nt answer the question because ,the Lord looks like the bad guy. Then he brought up the crusades , he told me that several thousands men , women , and children were wiped out because they didn't accept Jesus as their lord and savior , they would burn villages to the ground , accuse women of being witches and burn them at the stake , Then he said to me ,now you know why I'm an Atheist ......I truly believe that the Lord is pure unconditional love ,and he would be totally against all the people that has died or killed in his name. Everyday I struggle with my Christian beliefs , but I pray everyday to God to help me with these pressing issues .

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Well, at the end of the day, God didn't tell people to go out and kill in his name. Mankind did that all on their own, as they always hate and fear that which is different. God loves unconditionally, whether he is believed in or not, but he gave us free will. Mankind chose to do what they did regarding the Crusades. Man killed man, he may have did it God's name, he may even have believed he was right - But God himself wasn't on the battlefield.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Let's try to shed some light on the situation for you my friend.

First, what does it mean to "accept Jesus Christ as your lord and savior?"

It should mean that you have read his sermons, found that he spoke the truth, and have decided to follow in his foot steps. If you have done this then you will keep his commandments and show the world the unconditional love of God through your own actions. Then they have something tangible they can see because most have shut their eyes to the possibility of there being a God of such characteristics.

Second, did Jesus Christ condemn anyone, murder anyone, burn any villages, or promote such actions?

No he did not. The Catholic Church did. Now why would a church founded on the teaching of Jesus Christ do things contrary to his teachings? Wasn't Jesus standing up to the Roman Empire and the Judaic Priesthood? Wasn't he teaching people to find God within themselves and to not turn to a church?

What better way for an enemy to discredit your name and more especially your teachings than to do horrible things in their name. It would make people want to turn from you in fear wouldn't it?

Be careful in this day and age my friend. Enemies of CHrist have set the ground work for his teachings to be burned from the mind of men. His teachings throw down Empires of Church and State and those ARE the enemies of Christs Teachings.

Read his words as if you are a disciple learning from the Master himself. Follow what he says and be a beacon of the love and good will of God through your own actions. The world needs this more than any preaching right now.

If you need an ear to listen to your struggles, if there is somethng you do not understand, just ask.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by bdb818888

Why is this in Ufo/aliens?

This has nothing to do with either and you only talk about religion and give no links or sources to back up what you are saying.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by bdb818888

aren't there devil worshipers that sacrifice themselves to the devil?
I'm pretty sure I was watching a documentary the other day about 3 devil worshiper teenage punks that sodomized then killed two young boys for their savior Lucifer.....
It's not just christianity that people sacrifice themselves or die in the name of their worshiper. Hold on to your beliefs, they are afterall yours. God didn't kill these people, they killed each other

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I don't consider myself an atheist, yet I don't believe in the god described in the bible either.
I believe in the creators, that played there part in the making of mankind, how they did this is not my area, ( I have a rough idea but nothing concrete).
But the common belief in doing good towards all, is never a bad thing.
Killing people in whoever's name except your own is a bad thing, so If your a person who is doing good towards all then don't worry about what others think, if your morals are true and just then you are part of the good team no matter what uniform you wear..

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”
– Richard Dawkins.

Satan has big shoes to fill... but how close does he come to god? The bible has been researched to uncover the number of people killed by god and the number of people killed by Satan. Lets look at the stats.

Killing Spree - God v Satan

People Killed By God: 2,301,417 (conservative approximate)

People Killed By Satan: 10 (with god's blessings)

Link

Don't just take this website as confirmation. There are many sources and most agree to these ballpark figures. Of course, our resident bible thumpers will come in and tell you they were all evil and therefore do not count.

IRM :shk:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
It is the people that kill in the name of the Lord. The people are not to be confused with the Lord. It was not Jesus's fault people kill in his name. For all you know, people did the Crusades to have the future persecution of Christians. You have to be aware of motives.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

Second, did Jesus Christ condemn anyone, murder anyone, burn any villages, or promote such actions?

It is also seen in the Infancy Gospel of Thomas that from the age of five years old until the age of twelve, the young Jesus had killed at least three people, two children and one adult teacher. They were not brought back to life.

secure.wikimedia.org...

According to the Gospel of Thomas, Jesus has killed:

Back in Nazareth now, five-year-old Jesus was playing beside a small brook with some other children, forming pools of water to make clay. (Fun had yet to be invented.) Jesus formed some sparrows out of the clay and, since he was not the figurine-collecting type, decided to give the sculptures life, and off they flew on his command. One of the children playing with Jesus saw this and, rather than thinking, "Holy #! That kid can create life with a word -- I should probably not walk up behind him and start splashing his pools with a stick," instead walked up behind him and started splashing his pools with a stick. And Christ just goes ape#:

"O evil, ungodly, and foolish one, what hurt did the pools and the waters do thee? Behold, now also thou shalt be withered like a tree, and shalt not bear leaves, neither root, nor fruit." And straightway that lad withered up wholly.

-- Infancy Gospel of Thomas 3:2-3

----

In Thomas' version of events, later that same day as Jesus was casually strolling around town, running divine errands, another boy accidentally bumped into him on the street. So what would Jesus do? He'd probably use his divine presence to heal the boy of being friggin' clumsy, right? Let's see:

Jesus was provoked and said unto him, "Thou shalt not finish thy course." And immediately he fell down and died.

-- Infancy Gospel of Thomas 4:1

5 Real Deleted Bible Scenes In Which Jesus Kicks Some Ass

Sorry for the comical source (cracked.com) but I couldn't find much on it else where.

EDIT: Actually, here's a good thread on ATS about it: Did Jesus Kill?

reply to post by MauCat

Well, at the end of the day, God didn't tell people to go out and kill in his name.
Wrong again, God has done that, several times. I'm done here, look up the information on your own.

edit on 20-2-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by WhizPhiz

Did you read my reply my friend?

If I go out and kill in YOUR name, does that make YOU a murderer? Does that make you a liar? Does that make you an enemy of Man?

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhizPhiz
Sorry for the comical source (cracked.com) but I couldn't find much on it else where.

I wonder why...

Have you read any of Christs sermons?

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

Please explain to me how the case of Job works then? Satan challenged God to prove there are unquestioning believers with infinite faith. God, obviously feeling he had something to prove to Satan, gave Satan the go ahead to kill and steal all of Job's animals, have his servants slaughtered, have his children killed in a storm, and have Job fall ill. Sure enough, Satan was proven wrong as Job still turned to God. So what's the moral of this story then, and is that not killing in Gods name?

edit on 20-2-2011 by WhizPhiz because: spelling

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

the moral to the story is that life is not living, it is the faith you sustain, during the hardships you endure.
edit on 20-2-2011 by mikesk8s247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhizPhiz
reply to post by IAMIAM

Please explain to me how the case of Job works then? Satan challenged God to prove there are unquestioning believers with infinite faith. God, obviously feeling he had something to prove to Satan, gave Satan the go ahead to kill and steal all of Job's animals, have his servants slaughtered, have his children killed in a storm, and have Job fall ill. Sure enough, Satan was proven wrong as Job still turned to God. So what's the moral of this story then, and is that not killing in Gods name?

I do not concern myself with the backward teachings of the "Old" testament. Christ brought a "New" testament for a reason. The old testament is nothing more the a historical record of the errors of Man's misunderstandings of God. Christ corrected those misunderstandings.

Now, if you have something that Christ said or did that needs Justifying, I am more than happy to oblige.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by mikesk8s247

life is not living, it is the faith you sustain.
Can you please, ummm, elaborate a little bit. That makes very little sense to me.

What is faith anyway may I ask? Faith in God? No one really knows for sure, unless they have some sort of direct contact with God, which is very rare (and also very questionable). Is it faith in Heaven perhaps? What do you really have faith in that makes you feel so secure? Why are you so insecure in the first place? Are you scared of death perhaps? You can't find adequate love from humans so desire the unconditional love of God maybe? Hmmm...what ever it is, I just want to say, I'm spiritually aware and quite content with my understanding of religion (it's one big mess of disinformation with a little truth to pull at your spiritual strings). People can say "Oh, you're just delusional, no one can be truly fulfilled without the lord o mighty", and there's no point in arguing against that, people will believe what they want without logic or reason needing to play a role.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

Christ brought a "New" testament for a reason.
Oh, Christ brought it did he? Haha...both the new and old testament have been so heavily modified and incorrectly translated that there's no point relying on any of it. Once parts of it become twisted, there's no way to tell which parts have been manipulated by men to push certain ridiculous agendas, and which may have truly been inspired by God (if real). If only I had a dollar for every Christian I've seen reject the bible and mold their own set of beliefs based on what they feel was true and right within the bible. And that to me is simply relying on your inner truth and spiritual values to guide your soul in the right direction. It's all inside of YOU, throw the bible away and follow what you truly believe. I need no God to be a person of true honor and integrity. What about you?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

I just want to say if your spiritually aware, your also rude as F U C K. I have faith in my soul and faith in life after death. My faith comes from me and my beliefs and it's something that i can actually feel. I have had experience with God, and he resides in my soul and heart. I have the faith I have had since baptized, only stronger and more educated. Faith is in what you just KNOW, not what you think. You must let your faith guide you. Stop being rude and open up your heart to God and understand his teachings. Nothing God does is immoral, everything is done by him for a reason. Stupid people won't understand the reasons though.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by mikesk8s247

I just want to say if your spiritually aware, your also rude as #.
Oh, am I now?
Can you please point out where I've been as rude as you claim? I'm simply trying to present my side of the debate, excuse me for presenting facts and opinion. And I find your remark quite rude and distasteful actually.

I have faith in my soul and faith in life after death.
That's all it's really about isn't it? Getting to live after you physically die. Do you truly understand and appreciate the values of a Christian, or do you merely cooperate in the hopes of getting into heaven? BTW, I don't necessarily disbelieve in the soul or life after death.

I have had experience with God, and he resides in my soul and heart.
Well you'll also have to forgive me for not having had your level of experience pal, maybe if God wasn't so shy I could have a little more "faith".

edit on 20-2-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikesk8s247
I just want to say if your spiritually aware, your also rude as F U C K. I have faith in my soul and faith in life after death. My faith comes from me and my beliefs and it's something that i can actually feel. I have had experience with God, and he resides in my soul and heart. I have the faith I have had since baptized, only stronger and more educated. Faith is in what you just KNOW, not what you think. You must let your faith guide you. Stop being rude and open up your heart to God and understand his teachings. Nothing God does is immoral, everything is done by him for a reason. Stupid people won't understand the reasons though.

My friend, I understand your consternation. However, if you KNOW you have God within your soul then you should also know that God is within everyone's soul. Therefore, let your words to a fellow child of God reflect the beauty and love of the God within you. It is no wonder no one believes in Christ's teachings if even his own followers are incapable of doing what he taught. Love thine enemies even as you love yourself. Bless those who curse. Do not battle evil with evil, battle evil with good. Treat all with love and kindness and show that Christ's did not die in vain.

No one can open their heart TO God, God IS their heart, mind, and soul. If your enemy curses you, bless them. Show them through your own actions that they too are a child of God.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
What do you really have faith in that makes you feel so secure? Why are you so insecure in the first place? Are you scared of death perhaps? You can't find adequate love from humans so desire the unconditional love of God maybe? Hmmm...what ever it is, I just want to say, I'm spiritually aware and quite content with my understanding of religion (it's one big mess of disinformation with a little truth to pull at your spiritual strings). People can say "Oh, you're just delusional, no one can be truly fulfilled without the lord o mighty", and there's no point in arguing against that, people will believe what they want without logic or reason needing to play a role

This is rude because you are insulting religions and assuming false attributes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join