It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There are 500 million planets in OUR OWN GALAXY capable of producing life

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Unormal events don't occur twice - or ? I like to belive we are alone in Universe
and therfore the hole Universe belongs to us.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
And maybe there is a planet earth just like ours where people are people
and not supressed wise monkeys. Even mathematically with this number
it can be possible.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa

i do know what you mean as i have spent a fair while over the years thinking about it all, we build our own complex homes and drive cars we have huge amounts of technology and yet in the grand perspextive of things are we not the aliens? it then goes full circle to the great question have we been tampered with and my reply to that is without a shadow of a doubt i think we have

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by hotrice

That topic title is more than a little misleading.
There are ESTIMATED 500,000,000 planets. Nothing they said is definite.

This is why people are encouraged to use the article title itself. Instead of overblown exaggeration, hyperbole, and fanciful interpretations.

In this case....
Cosmic census finds crowd of planets in our galaxy

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Tephra

No, we know of ONE planet with life.
Your standing on it right now, FYI.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensairich
reply to post by Versa

i do know what you mean as i have spent a fair while over the years thinking about it all, we build our own complex homes and drive cars we have huge amounts of technology and yet in the grand perspextive of things are we not the aliens? it then goes full circle to the great question have we been tampered with and my reply to that is without a shadow of a doubt i think we have

I'm undecided on that point at the moment but I certainly believe its within the realms of possibility.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by hotrice

But, then, what if they did visit a long time ago. They aren't all likely to reach "space travel" at the same time, assuming all intelligent life does have a drive to exit their own planet(s).

Also, who's to say that we aren't the first complex, intelligent life to get into space travel. What if these other worlds still have not developed a species that is capable of even the consideration of traveling by any means other than their own locomotion, whatever that might be.

Or, considering the dinosaurs, what if there were intelligent species out there way back then. We wouldn't have even been around yet to examine or contact. No need to contact the oversize lizards, right? And since then, those many tens of millions of years ago, that intelligent life long went extinct or left our galaxy, moving to another. Or reached a level of consciousness that we do not yet comprehend that obviates physical form.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by hotrice

great reading thank you op

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Agree2Disagree

Well like i was saying, we only understand life as it represents itself here on Earth, i did say that we have not even speculated on Alien forms of life, "Alien to the way life functions here on Earth". An example for instance on our own planet are aquatic lifeforms, we can't live indefinately in the ocean, yet that is where 90% of Earths lifeforms exist, some apparently very intelligent.

I wasn't denouncing the possibility of any other life than our own. I was just saying we can only examine our own samples of lifeforms, no good scientist is going to bother to speculate on what other types of life could exist elsewhere in the Universe, without any common reference to go off of, that would be Science Fiction, not Science Fact.

We can assume and imagine all we want, but when it comes to facts we just don't have any information.

Who knows there could be stuff out there walking around breathing Methane, and Exhaling Nitrogen for all we know...

edit on 2/21/2011 by Brainiac because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Sphota

The drive to "exit" a homeworld by a technologically advance species is probably just a constant curiousity that any technological species would explore, it's about the challenge, it's about looking through a telescope and seeing other planets out there, and wondering what goes on there. I think exploration is just common to all advanced species, once you've explored and scoured the surface of your home world, your just naturally driven to peer out into space, because "it's there".

Any intelligence is going to probably experience the same curiousities, that's what a "thinking" species would do, examine examine examine...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I think that there's something going on that is being kept secret from us. I believe that at least some of the stories of one or more different alien species visiting here are true. I think that we are being watched and studied for reasons unknown to us. There is a chain of perception that we are a part of. We were designed to see everything around us in a certain way, just as an insect or microscopic organism sees everything in their own way. As I said in another thread, I don't think that this chain ends with humans. We could be microscopic compared to something else that we can't see or comprehend. Then again, maybe we just aren't allowed to come into contact with whatever is higher than us on the chain yet.

I think we're going to discover some mind blowing things in the next 20 years.
edit on 21-2-2011 by ShnogTrip because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Of course there are other planets with life. I can't believe we act like this is new, groundbreaking information. I recall that in school we really didn't talk about planets outside of our solar system.(Except stars, of course!) Now, THEY act like this is new to them and even have a new name for planets outside our solar system, Exo-planets.
It's hard to believe that there are still people who think we are alone and the center of the universe!! S&F!!!

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa

I think you're wrong about what a planet would need for life.Maybe for humans to live there,then yeah you would need water and the sun to be a certain distance and some other things.But you don't need those things to have life.

Think about all the different climates that sustain life right here on earth.There are a million different types species living in a million different types of climates.There are billions upon billions of planets out there,so I'm sure there are a few different types of species living on them.

If you can admit that and if you believe in evolution then whose to say whatever specie lives on whatever planet didn't evolve to an intelligent life form?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by GodIsPissed
reply to post by Versa

I think you're wrong about what a planet would need for life.Maybe for humans to live there,then yeah you would need water and the sun to be a certain distance and some other things.But you don't need those things to have life.

Think about all the different climates that sustain life right here on earth.There are a million different types species living in a million different types of climates.There are billions upon billions of planets out there,so I'm sure there are a few different types of species living on them.

If you can admit that and if you believe in evolution then whose to say whatever specie lives on whatever planet didn't evolve to an intelligent life form?

ok if that is in fact the case then I admit I was wrong, the images of Mars and the moon don't appear to be teeming with life to me but I am open to suggestion on that matter.

However I have never denied the fact that there will be life on other planets just that there is a very slim chance of it being intelligent life like humans. I do believe that there has been or will be or is intelligent life but its not as common as some people would have us believe.

As you pointed out "There are a million different types species living in a million different types of climates" but out of that lot how many are of a higher intelligence capable of science, art, religion, philosophy etc? Just us so that makes it a very very very rare phenomenon.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Flag and star.

I beleive in other Universes also,,,..Like a big wooden ship inside a big bottle,,,,,,or a toy boat. in a aquarium,,,

I think in years to come,,10-50 years,,on going,,,,they'll discover better more advanced ways on the tech being used,,,And we will see probly 101 times much,,,,,

I sure wish we had a few more advancved upgraded hubles,,,

I could write on(typo) on this,,,smile....fun to think on this...

And some ,,,,very VERY highly intelligent life,,, do not travel in space ships,,,we look at highly intelligent life as we walk on 2 feet or one must travel the galaxy,,,other species dont,,and maybe way more intelligent than us,,,

Way different and look different,,,

Some could be just like us or just the opposit,,(no smile/hunor/emotions )..

But anyways,,there is life out there,,

Threads like this get me thinking!

Kona

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by hotrice

Do you realize that if we are the only people in the galaxy, if we are the best the galaxy can produce, that it must be one really ffffuuuucccckkkkeeeedddd up galaxy.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Brainiac

I agree with that. I also agree with what Dr. John Alexander said on coast2coast am, which is something to the effect of - [concerning ET/ufo phenomenonology] "...we are closer to asking the right questions than finding the actual answers."

A2D

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by hotrice

"The next question is why haven't they visited us?" And the answer? "I don't know," Borucki said.

Hahaha!

More to the point would be "Why do scientists still think they haven't visited us"?

What the hell do they think that gods, nephilim, angels, demons, djinn, channeled spirits, elves, rahashias, greys and countless other "mythic" beings really are? I guess some people are still stuck in the "flat earth", sun-revolves-around-the-earth, modern-western-colonists-are-superior world model.

Take off the blinders. Our ancestors were no less intelligent than we are. They used terms they understood to describe that which they experienced.

I CAN'T WAIT until this is resolved for humanity. I will wave goodbye to all the nationalists, monotheists, racists, planet-rapists, and animal-abusing segments of mankind without missing a beat.

One love.

edit on 21-2-2011 by bricmpt because: mistyped

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
A couple things that seem obvious to me...

If what I've read about the history of our solar system is true, then, in the beginning when our planets were young they were a lot more similar. The planets started smaller, closer to the sun and grew in mass as you went farther into the solar system. The elements that it takes to make water are common on all planets or were in the beginning. At some point a catastrophic event or two happened that caused a couple of the planets to break/crash or whatever, severely upsetting the balance and creating the astroid belts. This could have been a good thing or a bad thing for the chances of life evolving and doesn't seem like it would be uncommon in the cycle of a solar system.

1. If for instance these catastrophic events are fairly uncommon in most solar systems, and that most suns birth planets in the same general fashion that ours did, then it could be that most solar systems have life for the duration of their cycles and that the universe is teaming with it.

2. If the catastrophic events are common, then maybe that little bump to mix things up could be the catalyst that gives life the nudge it needs. One thing for sure is that the universe is full of little bumps, nudges and sparks and eventually they are going to happen in the right places somewhere. One thing that the universe has an excess in abundance of is change and time.

3. With all of the unexpected challenges that life has to offer it seems only obvious that given time to evolve, life will inevitably produce species that can think on their feet and be prepared for the worst, be able to completely master their environment and dominate the laws of nature. It is an obvious outcome given enough time.

4. When and if a species does become sentient and is smart enough to gain the wisdom that some of us humans have achieved, who's to say that in a short time they don't evolve past the point of wanting to look around for other life. We have only been able to imagine going out into space for a short period in history and we seem to be giving up on it already. Might we wake up in a few years and realize everything we need to be content is right here with us on our small planet? Seems to me that the wisest of creatures would sit peacefully and contemplate the lives they have been blessed with.

5. If a species somewhere has decided that they do want to look around and are determined to find a way to explore other worlds looking for their neighbors, the idea of crawling across open space would probably seem absurd to them. They would want to explore in real time and would wait until their technology was advanced enough to find a way to bend space or manipulate wormholes or some other much faster way without leaving exhaust fumes, space wakes and traffic jams all over the place .

It would really surprise me if there was a bunch of scaly aliens in old clunkers, beebopping around the galaxy and calling each other on space age saucer phones listening to galactic radio stations while dodging black dwarfs. We will probably never find any signs of life by looking and listening out into space, but for all we know they're completely surrounding us.

Like little grey peeping toms...

edit on 21-2-2011 by phoenix0714 because: just wanted to copy it to keep for later reference

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mrphilosophias

The space program has longterm benefits for everyone. It dumps buckets of money on research, and this research has noted benefits. Sure, some of it ends up being wasted, but research money is never wasted money.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join