It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A non-geek's question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I use the Opera browser [paid version]. Now I'm trialling the new version before I pay for the v.upgrade, which I'll do shortly [I'm an Opera fan]

So right now, I'm using the ad-supported version, which gives you a choice of generic ad banner, or "Google-tailored" ad. Switched to the Google ads today.

Try not to laugh now. Seriously, how does Google "see" where I'm at? For example, I was reading an ATS thread about Bobby Fischer, & I got chess-related ad banner. In a thread about WMD documents, the ads changed to Iraqi war links. This is freaky to a non-geek!

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 07:13 AM
link   
They most likely just search the source of the page...just like the regular Google AdSense ads do on sites like ATS.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Well I knew it wasn't cookies, cos it still happened with other sites when I disabled cookies.

H'mm, source of the page? I guess that's something a non-geek shouldn't ask about - & wouldn't understand the answer anyway!

Thanks so much for replying.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 07:29 AM
link   
The Source is jsut basically jsut the coding of the page....

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Easy for you, difficult for me! Seriously, the phrase "source code" makes my eyes glaze over, I'm a GUI lamer who can barely find my way around with DOS commands. I hope to aspire to Linux before I die!

At least those "tailored: ads don't freak me out now thanks to you.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Oh don't underestimate thy mighty Google...

He always susprise me. It's like it knows everything about you. When I surf on ATS/BTS, he often shows me ads of websites that are in Canada. How the hell does he know I'm Canadian?

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid
Oh don't underestimate thy mighty Google...

He always susprise me. It's like it knows everything about you. When I surf on ATS/BTS, he often shows me ads of websites that are in Canada. How the hell does he know I'm Canadian?

It's quite simple really. There's no point trying to explain to a 'non-geek', but to answer your question quickly:
They know which country you're in, and what ISP you're using just by performing a DSN Lookup on your IP address (Webpages, programs, etc can do this automatically in a matter of seconds - they don't need a manual person to do it by hand each time
) lol.

[Edited on 16-7-2004 by MetalHead]

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Oh I'd definitely heard about DNS lookup - and even though I don't understand it, at least I now have an idea of what it's used for!

And my paranoia about the ads has gone, praise be.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bastet
Oh I'd definitely heard about DNS lookup - and even though I don't understand it, at least I now have an idea of what it's used for!

And my paranoia about the ads has gone, praise be.

Good to hear

new topics

top topics

join