It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No way to communicate to outside!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I just had to go a few townships over to access the internet. My whole town was getting the wireless internet and now it is not working. We all require a WEP code and we do not know any.

Is there anyone out there that can help my town in northern PA access wireless internet?

can anyone hook us up with the ssid and the WEP code,so we can talk about this conspiricie happening right in north america!

We all agreed once we get a WEP code so we can log onto our laptops we will talk about the conspiricie here on ATS.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by miracleretiree

You have to go to your ISP or who ever runs the wireless routers to get the WEP code, they are the ones who set it up for your routers.

edit on 20-2-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Once you pay for the internet,could i just cancel it right away and keep the code? or do they change it for every individual user?

I ask these questions because we are very desperate to communicate to our loved ones outside town.
And we are a very poor town and noone i know can affford to keep paying.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
What conspiracy are you talking about?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

My township is holding this conspiricie hostage until we get a ssid and WEP code,or just an ssid that does not require code.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by miracleretiree

Well then thats nice... rather lovely of you all... Godbless you

I'm pretty sure what your asking is illegal? I'm no expert on the law... but well anyways i'm sure a mod will drop in and enlighten us on it...

Have a good night and stuff

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by miracleretiree
Once you pay for the internet,could i just cancel it right away and keep the code? or do they change it for every individual user?

I ask these questions because we are very desperate to communicate to our loved ones outside town.
And we are a very poor town and noone i know can affford to keep paying.

Are you saying you did not pay your internet provider and now you cannot access the internet? If so yeah they probably changed the code or if it is just individuals they just deleted you account and login codes.

No you cannot sign up and get the code and then cancel and keep the code you will not be able to log in. Even though it is wireless your ISP is your entry point to the internet. each user has an account to log in to thier IP's servers. If you don't pay them they delete your account. They can't afford to operate and maintain servers for free. They have to make a living too. You have to pay for the service. Do you work for free? Then why would you expect them to work for free? they have to pay for access to the internet backbone too which cost they pass on to thier customers.

There are some people working in free internet type networks where you would not need an ISP, like freedom box and netsukuku etc. but they are not ready yet. Until then you have to pay for any service someone else provides you.
edit on 20-2-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I hate to be negative. This scenario seems very unlikely. I have never heard of a whole town or city having free wifi. You pay for internet you get internet. It's that easy. Your town is very poor, yet you all have computers? Something doesn't add up. If you really want to talk to love ones, pick up the phone or write a letter. Sorry guy, you may be telling the truth but something about your post was very off-putting

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Have you tried using a telephone? I know it's so last decade, but I hear they were once used to communicate to the outside.

Heck, I hear that people used to talk between countries on them.. Imagine that!!!

oO

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Ummm, can't you just log into the router by going to 192.168.1.254... and change the key that way? WEP encryption is outdated BTW. I don't really understand how a whole town would be working off the same wireless connection anyway?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Have you always had free Internet access without signing up with an ISP then suddenly you need a WEP key? If this is the case then it sounds like you where piggybacking of a neighbours internet account and they finally locked down their wireless network. I not sure of the payments systems over there but it might of been costing him a lot with the local neighbourhood using the one connection. At least there would have been some degrading in the response time with an unlimited download account. WEP keys are generally used on local wireless networks, not the ISP's wide area networks. Hard to say for certain without more information.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Okay the Mods decided not delete this so I'm going to comment...

Come on really? You're obviously trying to get the codes to break into someone else's wireless network and get free internet access. When a person has their wireless locked and you try to hack to use their internet they have paid for you are stealing their bandwidth.

So what you are asking for is the combination to someone's safe so you can steal their property. It is no different. I don't care what someone believe's about how we should have free internet access the reality is we don't, and someone has to pay for it.

I personally leave my wireless unlocked and protect the computers individually because I'm happy to share with neighbors. But if it gets too crowded and I can't use my own connection I will have to lock it so I can use my connection i pay for.

What you're asking is for us to help you steal. Knock it off.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jinglelord
Okay the Mods decided not delete this so I'm going to comment...

Come on really? You're obviously trying to get the codes to break into someone else's wireless network and get free internet access. When a person has their wireless locked and you try to hack to use their internet they have paid for you are stealing their bandwidth.

So what you are asking for is the combination to someone's safe so you can steal their property. It is no different. I don't care what someone believe's about how we should have free internet access the reality is we don't, and someone has to pay for it.

I personally leave my wireless unlocked and protect the computers individually because I'm happy to share with neighbors. But if it gets too crowded and I can't use my own connection I will have to lock it so I can use my connection i pay for.

What you're asking is for us to help you steal. Knock it off.

Aren't you afraid of other people downloading music or something worse on your connection? Couldn't that come back on you (ie. they think it's you downloading that bad stuff?)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TinFoilHatMan55

Not really. They can't prosecute without first obtaining a warrant and searching your computer. Well they can but not successfully. I don't have any pirated music or software on my PC so I'm not worried.

I'm one of the weird ones who believes that intellectual property is actually worth something and just because a corporation is huge and corrupt that doesn't excuse stealing.

Besides other than the occasional unlucky occasional downloader set up for an example they usually only go after the people who are downloading huge volumes and redistributing. Good luck doing that on a wifi connection from 100 feet away between several thick old plaster walls.

top topics

join