It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bees gone.....!!! What Next....!!!!!!!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
At least where I'm from, the bees were still in full force last summer and I expect they will be back.. I wouldn't mind if it were the wasps vanishing though, those things are evil.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
My parents live in a rural area of the Eastern United States. The people there are mostly middle class and lower. These people grow their own fruits and vegetables, most of them hunt for their meats (wild turkey, whitetail deer, squirrels, pheasants, and rabbit). Most are conservationist and keep an eye on what is happening in nature and in their environments. This might seem irrelevant but the thing is is that they began noticing the bee population dwindling over a decade ago now, not just honey bees either but nearly all the many types of 'bees'. We had neighbors that kept bee hives and in 2003 their hives began dieing. In some instances the bees would be there when the sunset but by sun-up the entire colony would be gone. There would be no little insect bodies lying about, the queen would not even be there anymore! Since then they have tried to start new hives. Some government foundation even supplied them with a colony but alas.. The bees keep disappearing without a trace.
Growing up rurally as I did, I was always taught that once the insect population begins to wane that the other wildlife would soon also suffer. The amphibians and reptiles, fish and birds in this area are now also showing signs of a weakened ecosystem. Not only in that area but if you watch the news, entire flocks of birds and schools of fish are dieing off in drones across the U.S. without much explanation as to why. And it is not just the U.S. that is having these problems! It is terrifying to think about sometimes but we (mammals) are next in line when you look at the food chain.
I hope I have not gone off topic too much or pushed the envelope of what is allowed. I am not able to answer questions as to why these things are happening, I can only elaborate on the knowledge I hold on the subject(s) really. I do know that a bee's job of pollination can be done by other creatures however it is a tedious job and the bees are the best at it. It is this girl's opinion that if any creature, great or small, was to go extinct from an ecosystem (or the world) it would (and will) be devastating to more than just us humans.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
In some parts of China, the fruit tree growers already pollinate their trees 'by hand' by using a camel hair brush and collecting pollen and then going to other fruit trees with the brush, time consuming and I imagine, back aching.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Bijen

I am in arizona we still have have plenty of bees. I called my niece and texas has no bee shortages either...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
To my knowledge we still have bee's here in the UK,
Although you don't tend to see much of them until summer time, even then they're in small numbers.

I think it will be a while before bee's become extinct, if they become extinct.
A lot of people don't realise the effects this could have...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by WhizPhiz

Thats informative... thanks for the link....

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Bijen

So you want people to give you the facts? Go do the research yourself. There are threads on ATS about this very topic. Lazy lazy lazy......

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Bijen

Look out the friggin window man. It's winter. Bees are less active now. Give 'em a couple more months. Duh....

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Bees are not gone.
Proof - couple of weeks ago:

And there was a time when bees where indeed hard to spot ,year ago, but there were lots of other insects filling in.
So i really hope bees stay. But even if their numbers will fall drastically there will be other life forms using the same ecological niche.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Bijen

ironcialy the far more hardy killer bees we actualy created are now starting to thrive more and more as well as getting more and more turf and could end up becoming our new type pf pollenating bee

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Reporting from South Texas...Bees are still here! I have a swarm of them near the entrance to my workshop--I have a bush they all love to come and see near the door--they're there right now...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

The electromagnetic waves emitted by mobile phone towers and cellphones can pose a threat to honey bees, a study published in India has concluded.

www.physorg.com...

A study from 2009.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MwAk3n

welcome to ats hope you enjoy your stay i am too a fellow kiwi and i too have noticed there are still bees around
my ways... anyway although i hope for the worlds sake that they don't disapear as that would not be good at all!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Oysters are now going extinct. Nothing will replace bees, bees are dieing just like we humans will. The planet is growing. You don't expect things to remain the same as the whole planet grows and transforms do ya?
Birth/growing pains.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Perhaps all these research centres studding fruit fly's might start a large breading program to release some into the wild to pollinate the fruit trees etc?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by karmajayne

Its good that in NZ there are still plenty of bees....

nature teaches us...and makes us feel the mistakes what we have done... but still we don't go for rectifying...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Bijen

Plenty of bees where I live.... Move here?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join