It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S Government Shutdown Looms

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Regenmacher

Conservatives are idiots if they think this is a good idea. Let me be more specific. There are a lot of people without jobs that cannot get jobs. Some of those people are highly intelligent and capable of working but cannot find work. If they are not allowed a means to support themselves, they will begin to starve. Starving highly intelligent people who are motivated to work but cannot because their government screwed up means rioting and instability just like in the middle east.

The only follow-up would be for the conservatives to initiate lock-downs and martial law. I'm laughing at what the voters will think after all this goes through. Somehow, I get the feeling that this might just be the result of bad policy and stupid government officials who are too full of themselves to understand the consequences of their actions.

Or, it could be a carefully constructed plan to destabilize the whole world and institute a NWO.

But really... no benefits for people without jobs? Are they retarded? People are without work now not because it is their fault, but because it is the GOVERNMENT'S fault. There are no jobs. Like I mentioned, starving intelligent people who are motivated to work but can't find work are very dangerous.
edit on 21-2-2011 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-2-2011 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
reply to post by aiolosmartine

I recall a couple of major instances the government hyped up the fear level and got their way....

1. Iraq has WMDs and Al-Qaeda terrorists.
2. We need $700 billion to avoid market collapse.

good points but this is a bit more hardcore dont you think???

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by niceguybob
Do you REALLY want the Military to come home with nothing to do? I LOVE those guys and girls. But sitting idle? And trigger happy? Ask Egypt how well that's going. Kinda TENSE don't ya think?

I really don't want my family in Military being forced to look at us as the enemy. They don't want to either.

Not good. Just not good end results.

Let's make the enemy over THERE for now..

Rats... Not good Not good.

No one said they do not have to do anything. There are over 40 bases in germany alone. Men women and children they ship american food to those commissaries A C130 has to have a mid air refuel just to get over there I know because I have ridden on them back and forth. They cant even fly a strait shot. Its not just a base it is a entire army town in some cases. Waste of money leave a few turn them over to germany all they are doing is sitting around partying in europe on americas dime a bunch of bull crap bring them home and make them fix the roads and do some real labor instead of jacking off in offices and playing with their war toys.
edit on 21-2-2011 by teotwawki77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
We are addicted to debt and like any addict we deny we have a problem and the only way we will change our ways is when we have hit rock bottom.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
We are addicted to debt and like any addict we deny we have a problem and the only way we will change our ways is when we have hit rock bottom.

Man that sounds poetic! Read it again, seriously you could write a pop hit with this, certainly more meaningful than Lady Blah Blah. :p

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by dnvrliz

It seems to be an annual ritual but it was scary the first time it happened in 1980. The Congress usually passes a continuing resolution to expand the debt ceiling then it is business as usual. With the election of "tea partiers" tho it may "be different this time." TIme will tell but March 4th is the key date - one day before "Fat Tuesday."

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

Maybe someone who has been thru the 12 Step Program instead of just "users" should run for a leadership position.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
reply to post by dnvrliz

Unfortunately, no joke at all.

You can thank the Tea Party zealots for this:

It's in the air for people to start fighting for what's right. I'm not for or against the specific measure,

I'm for a change in the system that allows people to lead their lives WITHOUT assistance of the government. Can you actually believe that's how our country was FOUNDED?

You're right, it's no joke at all regarding how many freedoms have been tossed away for security; how so many people are dependent on their GOVERNMENT instead of their community; how our children are a million miles away fighting and dying for reasons unknown to them..

It's sad but change is painful and his is only a pre-shock rumbling of what could happen.

Who's right or wrong will never be settled.

b

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   

So the Government collects 2,171 Billion in Taxes and it spends 3.492 Billion and their running Paranoid
about cutting 61 Billion. 61 Biliion on 3.492 Billion is loose change that falls between the seat cushions.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   

I really dislike when they pull the "it'll benefit our enemies" and "it could hurt the war on terror and affect our troops". Okay, YOU made the enemies and label them as such and YOU put our troops over there, so don't you pull that line because you just look like an idiot (moreso than usual).

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   

What I do not get is the talk about it being similar to the gov shut down of 95? I remember 95 and do not recall anything but the gulf war in full swing. My Grandma still made good money on her TBills and CDs, her pension and her social security being more than adequate for that time frame, food prices reasonable and people buying/selling homes, cars and adult 'toys' like crazy.

If this is anything similar Ill eat my hat.

This reminds me of the recent vidos posted of Ron Paul and the interview that was struck from msm viewing but that went viral on the Internet. He imposes that we cut all IRS Taxes for one thing to get more money in peoples pocket, that all social medicines and aid be abolished including medicare and welfar, that is as close to what this could mean as I can figure but also see it as the end of life as we know it in America and the start of genocide as the welfare parasites and sub poverty families and individuals go out and hunt for their livelyhoods.

Is this real? Could it all just get shut down or is this saber rattling, fear mongering at its lowest denominator?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Do any of you also think that if the gov't is shut down, this could be the final straw for a large-scale revolt, especially among the unemployed and even gov't workers?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

1995 shutdown is about all we have for comparison purposes. They could shutdown, if either party is unwilling to budge. They may shut down for only a few days and few would notice.

Doesn't sound to be in the best interest of either party though, but we have the worst crooks I have ever witnessed in office and there is no honor among thieves.

edit on 21-2-2011 by Regenmacher because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic_al

So the Government collects 2,171 Billion in Taxes and it spends 3.492 Billion and their running Paranoid
about cutting 61 Billion. 61 Biliion on 3.492 Billion is loose change that falls between the seat cushions.

Yeah, go figure. The Republicans want $74 billion in cuts, so this is over $14 billion.
If it was Goldman Sachs asking for $100 billion handout, then no problemo.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89

I really dislike when they pull the "it'll benefit our enemies" and "it could hurt the war on terror and affect our troops". Okay, YOU made the enemies and label them as such and YOU put our troops over there, so don't you pull that line because you just look like an idiot (moreso than usual).

I haven't really notice that line being used. What politician is saying that? I doubt they would let the shutdown get to the point that the military doesn't get their paychecks. Their heads may end up on proverbial platters.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I say let'em shut it down ....

its gotta start some where

Belgians Celebrate Setting No-Government Record Saturday, February 19, 2011 Belgians Celebrate Setting No-Government Record Citizens of Belgium have no trouble poking fun at themselves or their government, which gave them plenty of reason to celebrate this week as the country broke the world record for longest time without forming a government. As of February 17, Belgium had gone 250 days since the election last year that left no political party in clear control. With politicians unable to form a coalition government, the Belgian people watched as their European nation passed Iraq, the previous record holder (249). The mockery began even before the record was surpassed, with a senator calling for the spouses of politicians to withhold sex until the political parties agreed to work together. Once the record became theirs, large crowds gathered in cities to share servings of the national dish, chips (fries), and free beer. In Ghent, 249 young people—one for each day without a government—planned to strip to their underwear this weekend as part of an open-air dance to congratulate “our wonderful politicians.” Citizen Simon Vandereecken told The Independent: “Okay, we may be an invented country, and a bizarre country, but Belgium does stand for something. At our best, we represent a willingness to accept cultural differences, a wry tolerance, a capacity to make fun of ourselves, to overcome antagonisms and to live together.” It is worth noting that although it took Iraq 249 days to agree on a coalition government, it was another 40 days before that government sat down to work.

AllGov-News

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

The guys in the first video basically said that. It would hurt "national security" and be "of benefit to our enemies".
edit on 21-2-2011 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89

The guys in the first video basically said that. It would hurt "national security" and be "of benefit to our enemies".
edit on 21-2-2011 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

Talking heads get paid to talk crap in order to crank up viewership and bring in the ad revenues. I'd take it with a grain of salt, but sadly you can bet there will be plenty of sheeple thinking it's gospel.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Hehehehe James. Valid point. I'm 55 today. Thank you.. (takes a bow for making it this far. Hey I earned it.Been tough sometimes)

I recieve my SS Statement twice a year. It reminds me what I paid into taxes and SS since I was 13 making .75cents an hour as a busboy. Not bragging or complaining..Just stating the facts.

According to my Statement, I have already paid in the maximum amount to recieve maximum amount of dough I'm eligable for when I turn 65...Or wait until I turn 67....

I expect nothing to be there and expect to recieve zero dollors. I expect to work until the day I die,
Period. (So what.. Like retirement is a real word anymore)

This system is unsustainable. My DAD paid in about $20K his entire life. He has recieved over $15,000 for over 20 years each year..

How is that possible? The sooner or later is here NOW.. Shutdown and meltdown is HERE.

As long as my Dad get's HIS SS he could give a rats ass about me or anyone else.. Kinda like teachers pensions.. How can you pay in LESS then you get back for 20 years? I don't get it.
Not bagging on teachers at ALL.. The pension program is unsustaniable at taxpayers expense.
The teachers I know that are on a pension? Not THEIR problem.. Just pay THEM.
No easy answers here... I see both sides.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Oh, and for the record, I show my kids the Statement EVERY time I get it. Like a badge of honor I show it.
It shows how much dough you put in for every year.

And I explain...that this was the OLD system.. It's still in place but going away, so don't expect a dime from the OLD system.

They get it.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join