It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S Government Shutdown Looms

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Ellen15

Google it, you'll see plenty of articles and videos within 20 seconds.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

Please be a dish and provide a video with obama actually saying this
So far Ive only come across articles and opinion pieces regarding GOP making threats to shutdown the government

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ellen15
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

Please be a dish and provide a video with obama actually saying this
So far Ive only come across articles and opinion pieces regarding GOP making threats to shutdown the government

articles.latimes.com... -shutdown-20110220

Obama and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D- San Francisco) each said last week that a shutdown would delay Social Security checks and disrupt other services considered vital to millions of Americans. In the 1995-96 shutdowns, Social Security checks continued to be mailed, although many government payments were delayed as officials struggled to keep enough employees on the job on an emergency basis, as laws allow, to continue service.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Ellen15

At his news conference, Obama also warned about the dangers of a potential government shutdown if the current budget impasse is not resolved. "I think people should be careful about being too loose in terms of talking about a government shutdown because this is not an abstraction," he said. "If people don't get their Social Security checks, if they don't get their veterans' payments, basic functions shut down" and there would be an "adverse effect on our economic recovery. It would be destabilizing."

Source:
articles.cnn.com...
OLITICS

edit on 2/21/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
There ya go Ellen. Thats exactly what he (Obama) said.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Did you understand the statements at all?

Obama and Pelosi are actually stating will happen if the GOP shuts down Government

Both speaking out AGAINST GOP THREATENING to SHUTDOWN GOVERNMENT

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Ellen15

Another example of no one in congress or the president looking at that HUGE Pink elephant in the room which is the Defense department.

My solutions are:

1.Stop all Foreign Aid..Why do we give Israel money? Don't they have enough(and no just because I made this statement does not make me an Anti-semite). Why can't we criticize Israel? Are they a Higher Moral Authority?

2. Pull all Troops out of Japan and Germany immediately. I seem to have read somewhere that World War 2 ended about 66 years ago. Close all foreign bases down around the world except for strategic naval refueling ports like Diego Garcia and Guam. Pull all troops out of Pakistan and Afghanistan. We are creating more terrorists with our policies.

3. Everyone in Congress gets paid a minimum wage Salary for the next 2 years and gets issued Food Stamps. Maybe that will wake them up as to how hard it is out here,

4. Cut 50% of the Military Budget Immediately.

5. End all earmarks and close the Dept of Energy, Dept of Education and any agency that has a redundant function in Government. If it doesn't make sense cut it. End all paperwork in the government. Everything is done via computer and PDF.

6. All congressman and everyone except the president flies coach and pays for their own meals and expenses. ABSOLUTEY NO PARTIES OR ALCOHOL IS PAID FOR BY TAX PAYERS.

7. Michelle Obama starts cooking meals for the President and all personnel except security staff like The Secret Service and the Marine Corps are let go. The President is not a King and the best way a leader can lead a country is to lead by example. If Americans started seeing Michelle and Barack vacuuming the white house themselves then people would be happier to sacrifice.

8. Instead of putting up highway signs saying your are putting people to work...actually do and implement Public works projects like FDR did in the new deal and the Interstate Highway System like Eisenhower did. The only jobs that were created with putting America to work are the people that made the putting America to work signs.

9. Everyone in America pays no income tax for the next two years.

10. Set a National goal like going to Mars in 5 years so people can have hope again and tell NASA they have an 50 Billion dollar budget and put the American people to the test.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
good .. shut it down ... shut the whole circus down ..! neither the dems nor gop are any good .... all uselss people in office .. why need govt anyway ..? they all act like they have so much power ....i want this and I want that .. nobody wants to involve the people and ask them what THEY want in any decision ... why they were put into office ... screw them all ...!

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Ellen15

GOP aren't the ones threatening shutdown, a select few "won't take it off the table" and Obama has threatened VETO, which WILL cause the shutdown. I think it is YOU that is not understanding.
edit on 2/21/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
reply to post by robyn

If they weren't hypocrites, they would be holding out for ending the war in Afghanistan, an utterly useless waste of money and lives, returning nothing for the trillions invested. But no, they've chosen to go after Planned Parenthood again.

First, the TEA Party is not wasting their time going after Planned Parenthood. You apparently don't know, or just flat-out refuse to acknowledge the difference between the TEA Party and the Republican Party - there IS a difference, whether you care to admit it or not.

And when anyone speaks out against the cost of the war they are branded "anti-military" by people like you. Liberals just love labels, it negates the need for any logical argument.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by niceguybob

How shall we proceed?

I think we start with restructuring the monetary system. These boom/bust cycles ate the middle class. I'd start with giving the Federal Reserve the boot.
edit on 21-2-2011 by Regenmacher because: typo

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
The government does need to cut spending. they need to pull ALL the troops from the middle east. that within its self will stop the hundreds of billions of taxpayers dollars from being wasted any further. then they need to go after the federal reserve bankers and wall street and seize all their accounts and assets and start prosecuting these crooks.

No more subsidies for any old world corporations. IE: Monsanto and the like. that will save taxpayers another few billion.

the list goes on and on, but one thing is for sure , we need to get rid of this president and all these old senators and congress cronies because they are the ones that are killing this country.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
This all started last week with Saturday being the standoff commentary

Senior Senate Democrats slammed Republicans on Sunday for a "reckless" threat to shut down the government amid deepening political posturing on both sides over federal spending and the budget deficit.

The House of Representatives voted on Saturday to cut federal spending by $61 billion through September. But the Republican measure will likely die because Democrats who control the Senate oppose it and President Barack Obama vowed to veto it.

Obama has outlined his own plan for less-severe spending cuts in 2012, and has warned that tightening the belt too much too soon could harm the slow economic recovery.

Democratic Senator Charles Schumer criticized House Speaker John Boehner and Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell over talk among some Republicans that they would rather shut down the government than relent on their spending cut demands

Source: www.reuters.com...

A couple days later all of a sudden the language from the GOP tones down

Snippets:

Representative Paul Ryan, chairman of the House Budget Committee, said Republicans aren’t seeking to force a government shutdown and would negotiate a stop-gap spending plan that includes “interim” cuts.

“We’ll have some negotiations, with short-term extensions with spending cuts in the interim, is my guess,” the Wisconsin Republican said yesterday on CBS’s “Face the Nation” program. “We’re not looking for a government shutdown.”

Senate Budget Committee Chairman Kent Conrad said his Democratic-controlled chamber will reduce this year’s budget by about half what House Republicans are demanding. The North Dakota Democrat has warned that the federal government may grind to a halt if Boehner won’t negotiate.

Boehner (Republican) = Speaker of The House

The Republican plan for the current fiscal year, subject to more than 90 hours of debate prior to yesterday’s vote, would kill more than 100 programs and cut funding for hundreds more

Source: www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Some interesting ideas coming forth

A couple of questions:

If all the troops based overseas were to come back to the USA....

What happens to those Soliders once they return to the USA?

Do they loose their position and wages in the Miltary?

Do they apply for unemployment and look for a new job if they loose their job in the Miltary once back in the USA?

If the Miltary doesnt fire them once they return to the USA, they continue to stay on the payroll right?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ellen15
Do they apply for unemployment and look for a new job if they loose their job in the Miltary once back in the USA?

If the Miltary doesnt fire them once they return to the USA, they continue to stay on the payroll right?

Armed forces enlistment contract is for X amount of years, and they will stay in the armed forces for the term of the contract, unless discharged by court martial or a medical condition.

I see no reason why would they'd return to stateside duty.

edit on 21-2-2011 by Regenmacher because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
not sure what to make of this

typically when the mainstream media tells you something that potentially might happen like something really huge it never really does happen.

although it is possible something of this nature can happen i seriously dont see it being done, at least not yet and not because of the reasons the mainstream media is giving the people

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by aiolosmartine

I recall a couple of major instances the government hyped up the fear level and got their way....

1. Iraq has WMDs and Al-Qaeda terrorists.
2. We need $700 billion to avoid market collapse.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I still don't understand how SS is considered an entitlement program....

You gave the government money your whole life, you deserve that money back once you retire. How is this being entitled? We already pay state and federal income tax, we don't get that back obviously. The whole point of paying into SS is to have a retirement fund, basically.

So, what do we just throw away that money? Yes I am in fact entitled, because it's MY money and I want it back.

Unless they add up every cent you payed into SS, calculated average compound interest, and send you a check back, nobody has any right to remove SS. I would actual be in favor of getting rid of SS if we received said check. Again, it's MY money, not yours, your grandparent's, the governments, it's MINE (just the portion I paid in, of course)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by GodofWar411

1st intelligent thing I've seen. You are right. To put things right for the future we have to suffer now, but it will never happen becuase we aren't prepared to suffer for the sake of future generations. We want it for ourselves now, well we aint gonna get it.

People are too scared of wholesale change. In the past we went over seas to begin a new life. You can't do that anymore, there are no more places to run too so we have to deal to what we;ve made in the name or progress, science and advancement.

Shows we aren't all that intelligent as a race of beings after all

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I cant believe this is even a thought. This would be a terrorist act by these people.
People will starve to death. This would be the saddest event i as an american have witnessed.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join