It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S Government Shutdown Looms

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by GodofWar411

Well just a minute. I've paid tens of thousands of dollars into the S.S. System. I did not have an "Opt Out"
choice. That dough with compound interest would be in the hundreds of thousands now. Do some research
into the raiding of the S.S. fund. There should be A LOT MORE MONEY IN THERE. But someones been
reaching into the cookie jar. Add to that longer lifespans, a smaller ratio of contributers to recipients, and you
have a recipe for disaster. Again, more mismanagement.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by don rumsfeld

Ahhhh California. Fill your trunk with Avacados, and get out while the gettins good.

I always liked you Rummy.

link   

Unless,,,we start bringing some of the advanced technological gizmos out of the closet and into
reply to post by Wildmanimal

I agree IF DARPA or whoever could release some of their new technology or the Tesla stuff thats been locked up! ya know if they wanted to. And if they wanted to be polite they could release the alternative studies for cancer treatment. But no continue to subvert and use dark methods.

link   

Originally posted by Wildmanimal
We don't need just a balanced budget. We need a job creating Genie.

Our congress seems to lack the vision that this service oriented economy isn't working out and yet they don't make necessary changes to bring back production levels. I don't see China or India being a viable market for U.S. services.

Add on TARP bailout bs, fractional reserve ponzi scheme mania, record debt, and wars that are a zero sum return to taxpayers to this current news, and it's wonder how the markets are staying afloat.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

You can thank the Tea Party zealots for this:

Umm I kinda blame the Government for spending beyond their means for many years..
Someone argueing that the books need to balance is common sense to me..

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by American-philosopher

I mean really when did DARPA first come with the internet before it was released to the public or (private sector)? does anybody know?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by American-philosopher

Well listen,,,google it. The internet was originally used for military comm , scientist, Edu. etc.

Don't forget it was another great American Invention.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Regenmacher

Spot On. Excellent thread by the way. Thanks for starting this up.

Always enjoy intelligent conversation.

Also, I think you know the answer to staying afloat.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildmanimal

Well just a minute. I've paid tens of thousands of dollars into the S.S. System. I did not have an "Opt Out"
choice. That dough with compound interest would be in the hundreds of thousands now. Do some research
into the raiding of the S.S. fund. There should be A LOT MORE MONEY IN THERE. But someones been
reaching into the cookie jar. Add to that longer lifespans, a smaller ratio of contributers to recipients, and you
have a recipe for disaster. Again, more mismanagement.

i would suffer..... i would give up retirement...... i would do anything to provide a better future for my child.....
people need to let go and come to the fact we have to suffer now to prevent a disaster far worse than what is being proposed.....

think about when all that we owe actually do start knocking down the door...... would you rather watch our lands being sold off to cover our debt.....

my son was born with a debt over his head already and he can't even walk yet..... that is horrible.....

let's get it over with and face the music.. we can't pay our bills..... when citizens can't pay the bills they lose there land.. what what will happen to a our country

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by apacheman

You can thank the Tea Party zealots for this:

Umm I kinda blame the Government for spending beyond their means for many years..
Someone argueing that the books need to balance is common sense to me..

Blaming the Tea Party for this mess is akin to blaming your alarm clock because you have to get up in the morning. Ridiculous.

The government has spent like a drunken sailor for years. Special interests, PAC's, pork belly projects, nepotism, and corruption have contributed greatly to this impending meltdown. Greed for power and influence masquerading often behind the mask of some pretty sounding program meant to garner reelection has been a blight on our country.

Social Security was financially sound for years until the reserves were gutted. Both political parties are at fault.

Obama is a disaster that couldn't have happened at a worse time.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Well I hear you loud and clear. But I am for fairness. It is the folks that have amassed millions and billions

in fortunes and hide it from Uncle Sam who should be contributing more to their country.

I could be wrong, and many would disagree. I'm all ears. But how much is enough?

Evidently it is a black hole where the concept of enough does not fit into the equation.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by robyn

Umm, are you sure that post was directed at me??

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

when a nation is starving and they are still sitting on there high horse ... someone will come and knock them off it
i watch for the day.. it will happen

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by robyn

Sure I can blame them: they are the ones who are refusing to compromise and precipitating this. They are the ones choosing to gamble the lives and well-being by pushing old, tired culture war agendas instead of focussing on job building.

If they weren't hypocrites, they would be holding out for ending the war in Afghanistan, an utterly useless waste of money and lives, returning nothing for the trillions invested. But no, they've chosen to go after Planned Parenthood again.
edit on 19-2-2011 by apacheman because: sp

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
reply to post by robyn

Sure I can blame them: they are the ones who are refusing to compromise and precipitating this. They are the ones choosing to gamble the lives and well-being by pushing old, tired culture war agendas instead of focussing on job building.

If they weren't hypocrites, they would be holding out for ending the war in Afghanistan, an utterly useless waste of money and lives, returning nothing for the trillions invested. But no, they've chosen to go after Planned Parenthood again.

What did they bail out the banks and start the wars??
But I guess it's simple politics to blame the opposition..

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by robyn

That is right. the government has spent more in the last say 20 years than ALL of the money spent since
its inception. Think about that long and hard. That includes the cost of all the government funded bridges,
roads and rails across America(and elsewhere), runways, The Revolutionary War, Civil War, WW1,WW2,
Korea,Vietnam,The Cold War with the Soviet Union,etc. The Space Missions, The Submarines, The Manhattan
Project, all prior entitlement programs, etc. the list goes on and on. It is monumental.

Just think,,,Even the cost of building Washington D.C. How is it possible to spend ,in maybe even less than
20 years, more than All spending in The United States history?

And what do we have to show for it at this point? Jobs disappearing, the economy in shambles, and numbers
that predict a troublesome future for our country. Please, did I miss something...does it no longer matter?

I may be simple minded, but I see Benedict Arnold written all over their faces.

Mismanagement by traitors. Where is the Culper Ring when you need them?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

And what do we have to show for it at this point?

Umm, the largest debt in history?
Thanks for the interest say the financers..

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I wonder if our government will let in the foreign press when our elderly and vets hit the street protesting?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Nero is fiddling while Rome is burning.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
reply to post by robyn

Here's my understanding of the budget cuts thus far:

1. Defund Planned Parenthood
2. Defund Health Care Reform
3. Defund Americorps
3. Defund PBS and NPR
4. Fund Army NASCAR.

So who does this appeal too?

Sheople Man by AZRainman

Army's NASCAR, Drag Racing Promo Budget Survives Budget Ax

edit on 20-2-2011 by Regenmacher because: additional info

top topics