It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a non heated rant: Why is everybody suddenly changing avatars?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

I can't help but feel like I might have helped inspire this...

My avatar/background journey began with a bunch of snakes coming out of a cross. I loved it, but I kept getting U2U's that said "What is that anyway???"... So, one night, I found an image of Invader Zim, made to look like an Obama campaign poster - that said Doom under it.

I was in love. And claimed it as mine.

But time passed and I wanted change, so I found an image of a guy with a sword... played with it in photoshop a bit, and put it up. I got three U2U's that said "Awesome" and about thirty that said "Where's Zim??? Your new one isn't very 'you'".

I then made this one and am happy, thusfar, as I've only had gotten one opinion about it and that was positive.

So, I've changed several times for reasons that, pretty much, are like trying on clothes... I have been trying to find the right fit between how I perceive myself and how others perceive me.

~Heff

aha! you haz fallen into my trap!

just joking Heff .

i thought the invader Zim fitted your online persona myself
and then the "shining knight" one came and at 1st i thought you'd joined the the knights of virtue, then on closer examination i saw that you were now a mod so i thought well either he was asked to change to a more serious one or he changed himself to reflect the change.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
After a few years on ATS I reviewed my avatars. All four of them seem to relate to how I was feeling at the time and have changed as my experience on ATS has changed. People have different reasons for avatars but I see no problem with changing an avatar to reflect a sense of who one might be on the site.

Another thing about avatars is that they sometimes allow you to see into the psyche / ego of other posters.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

thank you for your post

yes, this is what i'm talking about

The Avatar as Mask

change your mask, change your personality/identity

though I'm not certain if you were talking about your personality changing or of others

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Another thing about avatars is that they sometimes allow you to see into the psyche / ego of other posters.

yes indeed, which is why one should select carefully

ones avatar is the image one wants to project to others and is a useful tool for certain kinds of work.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

The Avatar as Mask change your mask, change your personality/identity

though I'm not certain if you were talking about your personality changing or of others

With some of the avatars, you get a sense of a certain personality, so when their avatar changes, you perceive that person a bit different.

There are also times, depending on the subject, I've seen some of the more combative or demented looking avatars get in more arguments, sometimes because someone is judging them by the avatar they've chosen.

Feelings can start out very visual.
Looksism.

edit on 19-2-2011 by snowspirit because: just because......

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyred

What avatar did I change?

I don't have an avatar here. I want my words to be taken for their value, not the value someone puts on a picture associated with my name.

ahh but having to read your name in order to know who is saying those words disrupts the flow of reading just like suddenly changing your avatar does.

on the other hand if you are trying to separate the ego from your postings i believe you can change the font color to black

so that you may transcend from The Faceless

to the Nameless

P.S. why do you feel alluded to?
edit on 19-2-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit & additional comment

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
Looksism.

That must be why I always want to scratch you behind the ears and give you a bowl of puppy chow.
Very cute avatar.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

You have one of the best Avatars on this site. NEVER change it!!!

On Topic.......

I never had an avatar. I lurked for years,and once and a while I would post. Then recently,I decided to start posting. I think change is good. It goes with the moods people are in at the time.One day I will change this poor avatar,as soon as I get fired from my job,and have some free time.........

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

According to the T/C we aren't supposed to post a one-liner, so what you've seen is probably a post that I deleted (it happens) every now and then, or you saw a post that may have been in BTS which isn't quite as stringent with the one-liner policy as ATS. If it was something other than those two examples then: Shhhhhhhhhhh! Don't out me.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
It probably has a lot to do with the site redesign. Avatar dimensions have changed so many felt the need to change avatars because they were being cutoff in their mini-profiles. They could change the image to a stock image with smaller dimensions or have photoshop voodoo to make appropriate changes to their current image. Some people don't have the voodoo so changes were in order.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

Originally posted by snowspirit
Looksism.

That must be why I always want to scratch you behind the ears and give you a bowl of puppy chow.
Very cute avatar.

See, it works!
People are so nice to puppies, I very rarely get flamed.

Sonnny1

You have one of the best Avatars on this site. NEVER change it!!!

Thank you.
I might grow up a bit one day, but I like being this young right now

edit on 19-2-2011 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
hey everybody was doing a little research to spiff up the thread
and found this pretty interesting:

the-avatar-as-communication

though it would seem to be more about second life it does apply here and gives a better idea of what i'm talking about and why the concern. read on p20 about a father of two who is female online.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

Ohno!!!

Nothing dark or negative about me, honest.

I just like big swords and demons with pyramid shaped heads

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I changed mine last year when the site had updated. I still have my old one on my page in case I feel like returning to it. I still think my old one looks kinda cool. My new one with the wolf fits me. It's a lone wolf searching thru the night like I search thru the night for the truth. I like that the wolf is white, so she kinda looks female. I also added a banner with stars and my favorite grouping the Pleiades, the Seven Sisters. So, I don't foresee me changing it again anytime soon.

But, I also second the request to bring back the friend alerts. I used to love seeing those, and I think it encourages friendship on here!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Oh, the only other thing I've noticed with some of the new peeps avatars on here is that they are beginning to use more real pictures of themselves. That's cool, but I like this site because it's really one place where everyone is more on a creative bent, and more use of artwork is seen. We get enough of real pics of people on other sites like FB or Twitter. And, if you really care to see what I look like I have a couple pics of me on my page here under the pictures section. lol

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I change my avatar every couple months or so. I get bored and want a different one, but I tend to use the same ones over and over.

Why not look at the name instead of the avy?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Well I’ve only changed my avatar once; I used to have a small silver crown I used for my gaming avatar.

Then I noticed all the beautiful new changes to the new site, so I went searching and found this thread
New Rules for Avatars and Mini-Profile Backgrounds thread by bigfatfurrytexan

Then I had to find a picture that represented how I feel and who I am, as soon as I saw this pic I have now, I was struck. I love the new avatars.

I then spent a whole day reading and learning on how to achieve it.

edit on 20/2/11 by Whateva69 because: oops

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Praxilla

My new one with the wolf fits me. It's a lone wolf searching thru the night like I search thru the night for the truth. I like that the wolf is white, so she kinda looks female.

I think I found me mom!

A friend for sure, kindred spirits.........

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
lost my internet last night and am now on a slower connection oh well, at least its free

LS thank you.
so no bookmarking then, shucks.

kinglizard yes i've noticed that as well

badw0lf and the Blackening Flames too

Praxilla yes i kind of agree with you
re using actual photo
and i'll place my vote here for freind/foe bar as well

mblahnikluver again it disrupts the flow of reading to have to read the Avy is like a face and the text is like one of those badges that says hello I'm[insert name here]

Whateva69 thanks for your reply and the link

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join