It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a non heated rant: Why is everybody suddenly changing avatars?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
as the rant forum is for heated rants and this matter is only bugging me i've posted here, Mods please move if necessary.

well i think the title says it all:

Why is everybody suddenly changing avatars? and sometimes more than once?

the reason it bugs me is cause one gets used to seeing an avatar and imediatley recognizing who you're "talking" to

imagine we had the technology described in the novel Steel Beach and one of your freinds cantmake up his/her mind and changes sex [neuter/female/male] 3 or 4 times in a week and starts up a conversation with you and you don't recognize them at first.

and it's not just 2 or three folks it's a lot of folks and sometimes the change is for the worse.

now i'll admit i made a few changes to my avatar so it would look better and a bit larger but that's different.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0ced3efd5653.jpg[/atsimg]

so is this the ATS equivalent of spring cleaning, has something happened that you felt a change in your projected image is required or what.

dont want to single anybody out but if you are one of the ones i'm talking about you may receive extra attention from yours truly.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
what's the point of an "avatar" anyway?

They just seem like a waste of time and a distraction for folks that need to "express their individuality".

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I recently got a U2U from a mod stating that there are new rules for avatars and that mine was the wrong size and that I had to change it. I imagine that many others received the same message.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

well in your case it creates

eerrrummm

sexual ambiguity?

don't know how to upload ehh?
edit on 19-2-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit & additional comment

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Please bring back the "friend/foe" indicator color or bar! I can't keep track of who is who without it, given all the avatar changes. Pretty please...

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Just wait till the mods perpetrate one of their little avatar conspiracies. You may just lose your mind then

reply to post by LadySkadi

times two!

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

did you draw your own avatar? its ironic that you are making comments about what people should or shouldn't do with their avatars when you yourself appear to be breaking the rules by using a copyrighted image.

P.L.U.R.I
-B.M

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

I resemble that remark!!!

look, just because people call me the "ambiguously gay homo" and "Pat" doesn't mean I'm not a nice person.

in fact, here's a studio pic of me...i am a friendly person!

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by B.Morrison

please read OP this is a mini-rant sudden changes are confusing as Lady Skadi has pointed out.

i'm not complaining that people changed there avatar/online-persona's mask i'm wondering why, and why it's alot of people

now my avatar, if you blow it up and read what the Magus is saying will tell you a little about me and the kind of work the magus is performing

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Why is everybody suddenly changing avatars? and sometimes more than once? the reason it bugs me is cause one gets used to seeing an avatar and imediatley recognizing who you're "talking" to

I know, I get used to certain avatars also
Some have a theme going, for instance Lady Skadi always has really good artwork with a mysterious thoughtful (lost in thoughts?) lady.

Me, I've recently regenerated myself to very young, kind of like Dr Who, but I will always be a dog/wolf type. I'll slowly grow up again, and then go back to a pup/cub.

Some of them just seem to change their entire personality.......

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

so is this the ATS equivalent of spring cleaning, has something happened that you felt a change in your projected image is required or what.

Interesting, as I just changed mine. Since my screen name does not change, I feel that I can signify my mood in some way by changing avatars. Rather than filling in "Mood" in my profile, I change my avatar. Is that OK with you?

My avatar even changed sex recently, although I am definitely a male hetero. I just thought she looked really good, and she would be pleasant to look at. Now the avatar is gender neutral, but I hoped for pleasant to look at. But I'm still male hetero without a doubt.

No conspiracy here BTW....

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

hi there LS,
while you are not one of the recent changers i was reading some old threads the other day and one of the posters comments reminded me of you and when i looked more closely

yup it was you

if i may be allowed to be a bit off topic, I've often noted that you sometimes post...
well nothing
or just a emoticon
is that some sort of "bookmark" cause ive often thought of doing the same kind of thing.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Tasty Canadian

there are some artists who are members and create/offer custom avatars and such don't know what the deal is if any, you might want to check em out

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

ahhhh but that's one of the things i'm wondering about

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I can't help but feel like I might have helped inspire this...

My avatar/background journey began with a bunch of snakes coming out of a cross. I loved it, but I kept getting U2U's that said "What is that anyway???"... So, one night, I found an image of Invader Zim, made to look like an Obama campaign poster - that said Doom under it.

I was in love. And claimed it as mine.

But time passed and I wanted change, so I found an image of a guy with a sword... played with it in photoshop a bit, and put it up. I got three U2U's that said "Awesome" and about thirty that said "Where's Zim??? Your new one isn't very 'you'".

I then made this one and am happy, thusfar, as I've only had gotten one opinion about it and that was positive.

So, I've changed several times for reasons that, pretty much, are like trying on clothes... I have been trying to find the right fit between how I perceive myself and how others perceive me.

~Heff

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
reply to post by B.Morrison

please read OP this is a mini-rant sudden changes are confusing as Lady Skadi has pointed out.

i'm not complaining that people changed there avatar/online-persona's mask i'm wondering why, and why it's alot of people

now my avatar, if you blow it up and read what the Magus is saying will tell you a little about me and the kind of work the magus is performing

I read the op, I just enjoy irony.

-B.M

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

perhaps i should've been more clear but a couple of hours ago i saw a post by you in which you described yourself as female, and for some strange reason i'd thought you were a guy

see what i mean?

oh and by the way my moms name was Pat[ricia]
edit on 19-2-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit & additional comment

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
So, I've changed several times for reasons that, pretty much, are like trying on clothes... I have been trying to find the right fit between how I perceive myself and how others perceive me.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/be07c5f6df5b.gif[/atsimg]

We all perceive you as a little funny guy that yells DOOM!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I don't know what you're on about.

I haven't noticed anybody changing their avatar.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

What avatar did I change?

I don't have an avatar here. I want my words to be taken for their value, not the value someone puts on a picture associated with my name.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join