It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Powerful Modern Bolt Rifle Ever Created = The Magnificent .950 JDJ

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
.950 JDJ

Makes the .50 Browning look like a poodle shooter.

3600 grain milled projectile

$40.00 US per round

rifle = 80 - 120 lbs.

In excess of 38,000 ft/lbs muzzle energy. (The 30/06 has about 2600 ft/lbs)

I think it would make a good indoor target rifle. Or it may be good for shooting the gophers and squirrels in neighborhood gardens.

edit on 19-2-2011 by MMPI2 because:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

If your gopher holes in the neighbor's garden are 7 miles away maybe.

Good lord that's a lot of gun. No man could fire that thing without weighing it
down with a LOT of sand bags...interesting find.
edit on 19-2-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
For duck hunting...

when ducks are driving Abrams tanks... four miles away... behind a concrete wall.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

Wooooow....

There'd be nothing left after being hit by that monster!

Hunting with that thing, you'd blow away a deer and be left with 4 hooves on the floor.

yiiiiiikes....

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
40 bucks
and it will take out a drone or a copter or your average machine?

an equalizer like that would certainly balance out the war against the drone makers.

I mean just the bragging rights done at the club:
" yeah and THATS why both my shoulder blades are on the same side of my torso..."
edit on 19-2-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Widest bullet but I still like the 20mm (longer cartridge) - you never know when some mad scientist will clone a dinosaur and it gets loose (chaos theory et al).....

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
sskindustries.com...

Some of the JDJ Wildcats and a couple of tame ones. 950 JDJ Bullet, 950 empty case and loaded round, 50 BMG round, 577 Nitro for the Ruger #1 conversion, 700 JDJ, empty case and 1100 grain bullet.

The entire .50 BMG cartridge would fit down inside the .950 case.

I had a buddy that regularly handloaded pretty hot custom loads for the .458 lott. He actually had a detached retina from firing extremely stout charges from the bench, and recently started going to a chiropractor or neck pain.

I can't imagine the felt recoil from the .950. You'd probably have to fire it remotely from some kind of sled or bench vise.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Somebody calculate the ft/lbs of recoil this thing produces, it's gotta be astronomical! Even with a heavy rifle,say 14lbs, it's gotta be damned impressive. Anyone know what the parent case is? I'm going to see if I can find some velocity and ballistics for this thing. Trajectory probably resembles a rainbow but I'd hate to be at the end of that rainbow,wherever that might be.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I would like to see how any man could actually fire the weapon as a true bolt action weapon.

My .50BMG was a bolt action magazine fed rifle. Surplus crap ammo was about $1.75/rd whereas the "store brand" ammo was about $4/rd and the match grade followed in the neighborhood of $10/rd.

When folks ask me about what it was like shooting it, I tell them it feels like time stands still for a millisecond. Ear plugs AND muffs are damn near mandatory and be prepared for a sore shoulder if you fire more than 6 - 10 rounds without a Limbsaver.

I traded mine once I realized I wasn't going to be doing any dumptruck hunting, the cost of ammo was prohibitive and there are few ranges that either allow it or have the capacity (1000m minimum) to truly take advantage of it.

On the plus side, there is no rifle I've fired since that even slightly bothers me.

One other thing...when I brought it to the range, those around me waited for me to fire since some of them flinched from the discharge of my rifle which disrupted their shooting.

I'm guessing the discharge of this rifle could cause soiled shorts all the way down the range line!
edit on 19-2-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-2-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Go ahead punk, make my day! But only after payday!

Can you buy one of these over the counter then? What would you shoot with it? Mountains to make small tunnels?

CX

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Looks pretty meaty doesn't it?

I still love this one...

You might need a hand carrying it around the hunt though.

CX.

PS: Just realised this is more of a shotgun than a single bullet....the OP's still tops this.
edit on 20/2/11 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Another thought crosses my mind, do you have to pass a shooting test before they let you loose with one of these? At $40 a shot you wouldn't be just shooting away for the fun of it. I'd love to see some photo's and film of things being hit by one of these rounds.

How thick armour or brickwork/stonework would these rounds penetrate? Do these rounds make armour on armoured limousines redundant?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I used the recoil calculator here:

www.beartoothbullets.com...

and plugged in the values listed above to obtain the following recoil figures for the .950 and obtained the following...

Recoil Energy of 257 foot pounds, and Recoil Velocity of 13 fps.

Comparatively, an 8 lb. 30/06 firing a 150 gr. bullet at 2700 fps yielded the following:

Recoil Energy of 6 foot pounds, and Recoil Velocity of 7 fps.

Also, just for giggles, i plugged in the numbers (500 gr bullet at 2400 fps out of a 12 lb rifle) for a 458 Win Mag and got...

Recoil Energy of 38 foot pounds, and Recoil Velocity of 14 fps.

So even with the massive weight of the .950, you're still generating approx. 6 x the ft lbs. of the .458 Winchester Magnum.

I read that they use a forward mounted scope on the .950 to help prevent damage to the shooter's ocular orbit because of the massive recoil.

It could be quite dangerous to fire.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
only an American would design such a weapon. We are known for making big useless # (aka Hummer). It has no real use (just like the hummer).

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

Cool piece...wish they had something like this showing ppl shoot it.....
www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MMPI2
I used the recoil calculator here:

www.beartoothbullets.com...

and plugged in the values listed above to obtain the following recoil figures for the .950 and obtained the following...

Recoil Energy of 257 foot pounds, and Recoil Velocity of 13 fps.

Comparatively, an 8 lb. 30/06 firing a 150 gr. bullet at 2700 fps yielded the following:

Recoil Energy of 6 foot pounds, and Recoil Velocity of 7 fps.

Also, just for giggles, i plugged in the numbers (500 gr bullet at 2400 fps out of a 12 lb rifle) for a 458 Win Mag and got...

Recoil Energy of 38 foot pounds, and Recoil Velocity of 14 fps.

So even with the massive weight of the .950, you're still generating approx. 6 x the ft lbs. of the .458 Winchester Magnum.

I read that they use a forward mounted scope on the .950 to help prevent damage to the shooter's ocular orbit because of the massive recoil.

It could be quite dangerous to fire.

Thanks! Wow, those are some crazy numbers, that thing would definitely fold you like a wet noodle. Not many people enjoy shooting anything over about a .338 or maybe a .375, don't thiink anyone would walk away form this thing uninjured. Even the .577 Trex or .600 Nitro's look pretty tame by comparison to this thing,and those calibers have been known to put a few people(arabs, usually!) on their asses.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
While the muzzle velocity and muzzle energy are undoubtably massive, a cursory examination of the bullet itself would indicate that the ballistic coefficient/efficiency would be really poor.

At any significant target distance, this would become an artillery piece.

Lots of elevation!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
holy sht!
this gun is particularly used for dinosaurs hunting, right ?

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
i would like to see a revolver chambered for this round heh heh it would go great in new battle los angeles they could put clint in a cameo as dirty harry drawing a bead on one of the aliens saying punch you feel lucky today . well do ya kablam dirty carry flying backward from force of discharge heh heh

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by FarArcher
While the muzzle velocity and muzzle energy are undoubtably massive, a cursory examination of the bullet itself would indicate that the ballistic coefficient/efficiency would be really poor.

At any significant target distance, this would become an artillery piece.

Lots of elevation!

It looks like a pretty damn big bullet for the cartridge itself (the entire catridge seems to be half bullet).

Personally, I doubt this thing (especially loaded into an average looking rifle) has nearly the range or accuracy as a .50 cal anti-material rifle. If anyone wants to prove me wrong with sources than go ahead.

There are far more practical anti-material rifles out there heavier than the .50 cal. The Croation RT-20 is 20x110mm (.79 cal), and the South African NTW-20 is 20x83.5mm.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join