It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Highland Park man charged with Taliban weapons deal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Highland Park man charged with Taliban weapons deal

www.chicagobreakingnews.com

A 52-year-old Highland Park father is one of two U.S. citizens charged with agreeing to sell missiles and other weapons to the Taliban for their use against American troops in Afghanistan, according to a complaint unsealed by federal prosecutors in Manhattan last week.

Oded Orbach, born in Israel, was among seven men arrested in an international sting operation by the Drug Enforcement Administration. Paid informants posing as Taliban representatives conspired with the men to ship narcotics through West Africa — with a portion intended for the United States — and to use the proceeds to b
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
So.....here we go.

A group of US citizens are being charged with attempting to sell weapons to the Taliban for the purpose of their use against US troops.

A neighbor of Orbach had this to say: "This is absolutely out of character," said Bruce Brandel, who said he was a longtime business associate of Orbach's. "Is this really the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth? … The credibility of him is 1,000 percent higher in my mind than what our government is capable of doing, as well as the people they pay to carry out these endeavors."

I find it incredibly interesting that the quote questioning the motives and credibility is the one that made it into the article.

If this is true, then everyone involved needs to be charged with treason, yet for some reason our government doesn't seem to do that anymore.

The article does not state that there were actually any weapons seized, what was seized and what led to the charges is that they provided a list with weapons and prices for the Taliban (actually paid informants) to go over and order from. Lol, not that I'm involved but I've never heard of black market weapons sales using order forms and go betweens.

www.chicagobreakingnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
In reality it's the military industrial complex that fund the Taliban I believe they are setting up innocent Americans to cover their dirty work

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

I wonder if the news link singles out Oded Orbach merely because he was born in Israel or because he was the main person involved..
Some will have a field day if it's seen an Israeli is trying to sell weapons to the Taliban to kill american troops..

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal
In reality it's the military industrial complex that fund the Taliban I believe they are setting up innocent Americans to cover their dirty work

I can largely agree with that, they admit to having funded them in the past, we currently still negotiate with them, and who knows what else, I wouldn't be surprised if weapons is part of that. The article also states that Taliban uses the weapons to protect their heroin making operations. So, I'm guessing this is part of the "war on drugs" as opposed to the "war on terror" but given the situation it's appears to be a very fine line however DHS wasn't mentioned.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

I wonder if the news link singles out Oded Orbach merely because he was born in Israel or because he was the main person involved..
Some will have a field day if it's seen an Israeli is trying to sell weapons to the Taliban to kill american troops..

Oh, I don't think so, the article is from the Chicago Tribune website, and he lived in one surrounding suburbs, so they were highlighting the local connection to the sting. Further down the article they did mention the others charged, but they were not from the Chicago area.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Oh, I don't think so, the article is from the Chicago Tribune website, and he lived in one surrounding suburbs, so they were highlighting the local connection to the sting. Further down the article they did mention the others charged, but they were not from the Chicago area.

He was arrested in Romania...
I guess you'd have to ask why was he there..

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Yes, a very valid question. However, his home is still in Highland Park where his family still lives, it also does not say whether or not his family made the trip with him.

I mean if I were to travel to the Czech Republic to visit distant relatives would it also raise a red flag?

Highland Park is a pretty affluent area, it's where the great Michael Jordan lives
. Just a side note.

I think it's odd that the neighbor casts doubt on the official story. A family member I understand they always or at least typically come to the defense, but a random neighbor at least in my observation either stays neutral or distances themselves. I just feel that it is relevant because in an area with people who are fairly concerned with reputations, both personal and in business this person came to bat pretty hard. I guess Bruce is a good friend, or he's involved

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I like how his friend said "The credibility of him is 1,000 percent higher in my mind than what our government is capable of doing, as well as the people they pay to carry out these endeavors."

Basically saying, the FBI are a bunch of untrustworthy idiots who keep pretending to be terrorists and setting up Americans... spot on.

new topics

top topics

join