It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

True Blood and The Vampire Diaries: two actually decent vampire TV Shows

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
With the big vampire thread here on ATS, I thought I'd mention 2 actually decent vampire TV shows, The Vampire Diaries and True Blood.

Here's an overview of both:

True Blood: Vampires have found a blood substitute and now are out in the open, interacting with humans. A human, Sookie Stackhouse, falls for a vampire Bill, and drama/blood ensues. It's very much an adult show and pretty gory. Not for the faint of heart.

The Vampire Diaries: Probably my favorite show. The name would suggest this show to be a sappy teenager show, but that could not be farther from the truth. If anything, it's like a more fun, watered down & less gory version of True Blood. The show focuses on Elena Gilbert, who falls for a vampire, Stefan Salvatore. However, in the town of Mystic Falls, there is a long history of vampires and things are far from perfect. The writers have really done an excellent job and each episode leaves you wanting more. But probably a lot of what makes the show interesting is Ian Somerhalder as the flirty, dark, and reckless Damon Salvatore. You sort of hate him at first, but in the second season, he's become a very big part of the show.

So, if any of you watch or decide to watch these shows, let me know what you think.
edit on 19-2-2011 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Don't watch Vampire Diaries but I watch True Blood.

Have to say I like it. Does them more justice for vampires than Twilight. Enough of the emo vampires!!

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SlovenlyGhost

I know, right? Enough of the sparkly vampires! Though you should try The Vampire Diaries. The writers really do a good job of building and keeping suspense, while not keeping the viewer waiting too long, as well as the general storyline/storytelling.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I think them both a total waste of resources.. absolute garbage. No need for them.

Why this fascination with non-reality has become so important with the youth of today has got me beat... are their lives so terrible they have to escape into this sort of melodramatic garbage to feel good?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

Guess things are so terrible and boring in the world today it's sometimes good to have an escape. Some fantasy world you can go to. Not really sure. Just don't like the people who wanna escape to Twilight land. BAH

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
What the hell is it with all these vampire-human love stories? Damn...

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

It's not much different than the Sci-Fi shows of the past, only now it's just fantasy.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Don't bring your fairy sparkling metro sexual vampires around here

I think you mean to post at

I lost my manhood . com ?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

Yeah, it's not Twilight, not even close.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Yep, I just find it completely inane. A town full of vampires and wherewolves.. is good entertainment for Youth? The story lines have so many holes in them that as my 16 y.o daughter watches it I have to point them out.. which peeves her off with me even more.

I can't wait until this mindless fascination pushed by Media finally dies a natural death. But it won't be replaced with anything mentally stimulating.. just more Brain Rot Food on the Idiot Box for kids and Teens to get hyped up over for no real reason.
edit on 19-2-2011 by Tayesin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tayesin
I can't wait until this mindless fascination pushed by Media finally dies a natural death.

I could not agree more. Vampires, werewolves, faeries and shapeshifters have become passe.

What programmers have in store for the next ten years is much more enlightening fare. If you don't want legal drama and forensics, you will have zombies, post-apocalyptic survival, soul possession (and finally) Mars colonization shows, before having to recycle back to vampires.

Teenage angst shows will be quite traditional though, dealing with the pain of unwanted pregnancies and potential Democrat-Republican marriages.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I actually watch both.

True Blood is one of my favorite shows...the books were excellent, but so is the series. Good characters, exciting surprises (Russell appearing on the news and ripping the reporter's heart out!), and hot naked babes, etc. C'mon, what's not to like?

Vampire Diaries is ok. The gals are fine, and the storylines are actually kind of intriguing. Never read the books of this series, but my wife says they are way different. Mostly, I like Damon...he's my kind of vampire, and the kind of unapologetic vamp I'd be... I hated him on Lost, but he's really found a great character in Damon. I could care less about Stephan "Squirrel-sucker" as I call him. I hate whiney vamps who want to play human.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Just a quick observation here. When I was growing up most vampires, with the exception of maybe Barnabas Collins, were clearly evil. Now the vampires are just as psychopathic, just as dangerous, but they are presented as the good guys.

Something to say about our society, or just that we secretly love psychopaths?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by edward777

If you look back though, you'll see romanticized vampires decades ago. The success of Twilight is pretty much what set the stage for their comeback into the mainstream.

With both of the shows mentioned though...there are some real bad vampires too... In fact, the "good guy" vamps seem to be in the minority for the most part (in these shows).....And, even for "good" guys, they seem to do a lot of killing....

I can't wait until this mindless fascination pushed by Media finally dies a natural death. But it won't be replaced with anything mentally stimulating.. just more Brain Rot Food on the Idiot Box for kids and Teens to get hyped up over for no real reason.

Well, that's one way to look at it. On True Blood though, the added angle is that the Vampires are "out". So, there's the added social issues of discrimination, legal definitions, old and new world clashing, etc.

Don't bring your fairy sparkling metro sexual vampires around here

I think you mean to post at

I lost my manhood . com ?

No, no sparkly vampires here... These vamps will rip your head off and treat your neck like a sippy straw....
edit on 8-8-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
True Blood and The Vampire Diaries are the most popular and famous series. In fact I have seen millions of viewers watch these series online. They just enjoy the plot and cast.

Watch Greys Anatomy Episodes , Watch Familyguy Episodes

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I watch The Vampire Diaries and enjoy the cliff-hanger endings to some episodes but I wish that, once they've killed someone off, the dead would stay dead.

I get fed up of seeing characters I thought I'd seen the back of popping up again. But I've felt that way about several TV programmes - there's a noticeable trend to bring back dead characters in dreams, visions or alternative realities. And not just sci-fi / fantasy shows.

I agree about Ian Somerhalder - he's doing a brilliant job with Damon. To me, he makes a far better romantic interest than Stefan. Problem for me is that Elena's a bit insipid. I think he could do better

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tayesin... are their lives so terrible they have to escape into this sort of melodramatic garbage to feel good?

Pretty rich coming from someone who posts on ATS.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I love to wacth the Vampire dirares This show is so good!!! I am so glad it came on tv. I wacth every single episode and i love them!! I like damon but, you are right the first season he was dark and mean then he softend up and we found out it was stephen with the shady past!!!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

Why this fascination with non-reality has become so important with the youth of today

Like we want to watch some stupid "reality" show that has scripts atleast we know this show is fake.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
True Blood!! One of my favorite shows. I still needa watch season 4 before season 5 airs.

edit on 3-5-2012 by Aktulu because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join