It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you are interested in "Ouija" boards

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by NthOther

It was due ONLY to lack of knowledge, tuition and *proper* understanding that those poor souls committed suicide whilst using the original Ouija Board. What we also tend to overlook altogether when we think of then is that, when it was first invented, it came with NO instruction what-so-ever. Instruction - or rather, what passed for it (a two-sided printed piece of paper I believe - which told us nothing) gave us absolutely no clue what-so-ever as to 'what' we would meet on the 'other' side of the glass. In being so (and I have to say it) 'stupid' and plain ignorant, the originator had no clue and no actual experience of it himself! And so, without *proper* tuition to impart, he had no idea that he was not only sending people to the local nut-house but was, at worst, sending people to their graves. So, no wonder people fear the Ouija Board! The original Ouija Board was badly thought out and not nearly tested enough by it's inventor so that HE knew *exactly* what was what to begin with to then lead others to it. But then, as far as he is concerned, he too, like you and I, was *also* just as influenced by dogma and the now, fully established fear of - whatever. At the end of the day, he too needed to make a few shillings and so, he did and, good luck to him I say. Meanwhile, when you finally come to use one *properly* that is backed up by and through *proper* tuition from someone who has *actually* been there and back *himself* - to then know exactly where YOU are going - without the fluff and fear-mongering tripe that is so prevalent in society today, then, you too will *know* and not have to 'believe' or fear ever again. Then, and only then, will you too come to realise that the universe - both seen and unseen - is a truly vast and very exciting place indeed and that both places and the spirit world suddenly become available to you too - just as it has me.

This is a quote from one of the articles I have listed. Did you not read it or what is your opinion on it? Have you ever used one?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by strawberry91

Lol wow, came flying in to derail huh?

No, I came to correct some assumptions here.

...are the usual skeptical attacks against spirituality.

Yes, skepticism and science doesn't agree with this idea of "spirituality" which is itself, not skeptical and not scientific at all. Why do you think this is?

reply to post by Amaterasu

The above stuff was clearly written by one who had no successful experience with the board.

Personal experience and a "successful experience" has no relation to WHY it moved except if the person jumps to the conclusion of "Well, I didn't move it so it was obviously paranormal" when the logical step would have been to see the theories for why it is moving, and evaluate them accordingly. For instance, an individual goes through a session with the board, gets it to move successfully and "communicates" with it, he then can use the lovely scientific method to construct a reason for why the pointer moved, which should incorporate a good dose of reason and skepticism, naturally.

For example, we can start with the hypothesis of the ideomotor effect causing the pointer to move:

- We can present evidence that the ideomotor effect is a valid and demonstrable phenomenon
- We can then claim to use the ouija board as an example of this, perhaps adding a few factors in such as blindfolding the participants and turning the board, or placing something such as cards on the top of the pointer, which will, through the ideomotor effect, be pushed in the direction of the participant unknowingly, which will cause the cards to slide off, etc.
- We can examine any other factors which may have caused the pointer to move other than the ideomotor effect and construct the theory of why the pointer moves, and voila, board explained.

Of course we can go with the claim that spirits are moving it, but it doesn't go so well.

- Present evidence the spirits exist, not sure how successful that will be
- Disregard the existence of the ideomotor effect
- Use the ouiji board
- Claim spirits did it
- ???
- Profit

When the planchet suddenly surges forth, with an urgency, that explanation rather flies out the window.

So whether or not it's the ideomotor effect is the speed at which the pointer moves? That doesn't sound a little odd to you?

I have worked with very close friends who I trust. All have sworn they were just resting their fingertips on the planchet, as was I.

The whole concept of the ideomotor effect is that you don't know you're doing it, their statements are irrelevant.

Just a random question, can you successfully operate the board while blindfolded and the board turned 180 degrees without you knowing? Are you're eyes really relevant to a "spirit" moving a pointer around a board?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Whyhi

I get it! Your like a SUPER HERO right? The "Skeptic", Truth and justice...Saving us from said "assumptions" because "science" said that we are wrong. How mighty of you!

Honestly, there is nothing I can say to convince you or anyone for that matter of anything. Sometimes you have to step away from what you already "know" to actually learn something. I think around 500 years ago (something around that time) youd probably see me as one of those people who believed we orbited the sun rather than the sun orbiting us.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Whyhi

Oh, yes, very scientific sounding and absolutely correct in my estimation. But it begs the question.

Where does the knowledge come from? The HOW it filters down to our finger tips, intuitions "gut feelings," and luck is the question. A partial explanation seems to be that all information is out there...and here...if you (can) assess it.

Everything about the so-called occult falls into place if you can grasp that concept. Scary ain't it? It is not the reality most would have. Most want a good and righteous God of some type out there controlling all things, not a reality of, for heaven's sake, just possibilities!

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I didn’t read all the posts, but when I saw Ouija Board it brought back a very old memory, I want to tell you from a personal experience, you do not want mess with the Ouija Board. It is evil to the core, it is a connection to the underworld which is a different dimension then ours, they will deceive you and contaminate you from being who you should be… If you have one you need to destroy it by breaking it in half. Its not a game.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I don't care what others say...
Ouija boards are very dangerous.
I don't recommend fooling around with one.
You just might open a door that you won't
be able to close again.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shdak
I didn’t read all the posts, but when I saw Ouija Board it brought back a very old memory, I want to tell you from a personal experience, you do not want mess with the Ouija Board. It is evil to the core, it is a connection to the underworld which is a different dimension then ours, they will deceive you and contaminate you from being who you should be… If you have one you need to destroy it by breaking it in half. Its not a game.

Where did you get this belief from? I am very interested in tracking it to the source

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

I actually agree with you to an extent. It will certainly open a door, and if you are not prepared for it in the least, yes it could be bad. I dont think the ancients were afraid to talk to spirits, and I also dont think the ancients were stupid. We need to examine the sources of our fear.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I used a board once. The spirit we summoned threw my kitten against the wall,then proceeded to break my 700 dollar vase. ;.(....

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
My sister in law told me about when she was young and living at home. She and her brother found one in a closet and did not know how it got there. They took it outside and burned it. The board appeared in the closet again and it freaked them out. They burned it again and it did not come back.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I owned one when i was a teenager and the thing scared me.. My friends and i would play with the thing and i always got bad vibes from it i asked my parents to get rid of it and they did.. I never asked what they did with it I just don't think its a game i think you can be possessed by a spirits or demons id stay away from it..Plus you don't know what your going to conjure up it could good or it could be evil ..

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I used to use one frequently as a teen, we used it graveyards a lot of the time. I feel gypped, where is my demon from the portal we opened using the board? /gentle sarcasm

I lost a baby a long time ago, and I was sad one evening (I was a teenager still), and me and my brother (who is very logical and grew up to be a doctor) got out the board and my baby came through, saying mamamama and I love you. He told us he had been a boy. We both sat there with tears streaming down our faces.

You can make your own board, you dont need to use the parker brothers one, all you have to do is google it to find out more information.

I dont know why there is a fear attatched to Ouija boards, personally I have never feared them, and no one else I know fears them either. I don't know why one would fear this.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
An ouija board will f%ck monday to tuesday side ways with fence post, they should never be delt with, by us , ever.

There is bad, then there is black magic Monday bad. Im out.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I think a pattern I am noticing is that users who have a bad experience are usually scared or have some preconcieved notion that what they are doing is evil because you are not suppose to be able to talk to the "dead". Personally, I think the first step will be to accept that death is nothing but an illusion, a changing from one state to another. Next, throw out all those crazy movies about ouija boards that have done nothing but help add to the fear over the years. Didnt they use one in that paranormal activity movie? Sheesh, no wonder many of you are scared lol.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by strawberry91
I think a pattern I am noticing is that users who have a bad experience are usually scared or have some preconcieved notion that what they are doing is evil because you are not suppose to be able to talk to the "dead". Personally, I think the first step will be to accept that death is nothing but an illusion, a changing from one state to another. Next, throw out all those crazy movies about ouija boards that have done nothing but help add to the fear over the years. Didnt they use one in that paranormal activity movie? Sheesh, no wonder many of you are scared lol.

Totally agree Strawberry, I have used the board many times, with some communication, never negative, sometimes mischievious, nothing damaging or dangerous though. I would suggest that those who are negative about this and those who shout demon are in fear of fear itself. I would say that anyone who has a negative experience is psychologically manifesting negativity by their thoughts and expectations. If you expect 'demons' to appear, you will probably get some negativity. If you believe in evil and all that other religion based BS hoodoo, you'll probably get it.

A rule of tumb should be that if you are overly anxious about this procedure or are frightened or fixating on 'good' and 'evil', dont touch it, you are psychologically not ready for the experience. The board is neither good nor evil, its simply a communication device. On the positive side, I believe that it can be an interesting experience, at times informative. But ultimately its only as dangerous as your own negative thoughts on the subject, or as you are yourself!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Whyhi

and skeptic, I just have to add this while I am thinking about it, why on earth are you peddling your scientific views on the paranormal studies board? Its kind of like going to an anti-abortion rally offering to give out free abortions you know?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
It opens up a demonic door for evil to crawl in through.

Yes it does.

And when fools use them, the dark ones come through and allow the fools to believe nothing has happened.

Then they don't bother sending them back...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whyhi

I have worked with very close friends who I trust. All have sworn they were just resting their fingertips on the planchet, as was I.

The whole concept of the ideomotor effect is that you don't know you're doing it, their statements are irrelevant.

Small twitches and such just cannot explain the energy, the power of the movements of the planchet. It might explain a slow gravitating towards things (I don't deny the existence of this effect) but not movement such that the planchet nearly loses touch with the fingertips as it pulls across the board, and One is trying to keep up with it.

Just sayin'.

Just a random question, can you successfully operate the board while blindfolded and the board turned 180 degrees without you knowing? Are you're eyes really relevant to a "spirit" moving a pointer around a board?

These are questions I cannot answer, never having tried such experiments. I presently do not have access to a board (and no money to buy one), but I would be fascinated to try such experiments. If things come to the point that I have the option, I will experiment and let you know.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Exactly. I think the user's perception about them when they use them has everything to do with the outcome. The times I have used them I went in with a light, slightly sarcastic attitude and only funky things happened, nothing scary, nothing evil. I can't explain some of the words and actions that came out of it but it wasn't scary--just a little spooky. It was a party game and that's how we used it. This was 20+ years ago where I went through a period of a couple of months using one and nothing paranormal or evil has ever happened to me or any of my friends that played with me. None of my homes were ever "haunted" after that. Either I didn't play enough to open any demonic doorway or the board is only as benign or as evil as the user expects it to be. I'm going with the latter explanation.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

I believe our skeptic was trying to set you up. I will search for the link, but I think this blindfold experiment was already done with mixed or "failed" results. I myself have never tried it and see no need to. Honestly, I think blindfolding yourself just to "prove" that the board works is redundant. To even attempt the experiment just to please a skeptic is pretty much like saying "well I know you work, but please work for me while I am blindfolded so everyone will believe this works"
I think we both know the spirit world doesnt operate on a "maybe" basis. The word maybe itself is doubtful, and doubt+spirit communication (and many other things for that matter) will almost always yield less than stellar results.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join