It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US in direct talks with Taliban: New Yorker

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

US in direct talks with Taliban: New Yorker

www.rawstory.com

The administration of President Barack Obama has entered into direct, secret talks with senior Afghan Taliban officials, according to The New Yorker magazine report.

Surrendering Taliban militants are seen in Herat, in November 2010. The administration of President Barack Obama has entered into direct, secret talks with senior Afghan Taliban officials, according to The New Yorker magazine report.

The talks were characterized in the story as an attempt by the Obama administration "to assess which figures in the Taliban's leadership, if any, might be willing to engage in formal Afghan pe
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
How are these talks secret if they are letting us know about them, and what exactly are "secret talks?" It sounds like the political solution is to offer them money to stop attacking our troops.

What does the Taliban have to lose exactly? Until we leave ME countries, willing participants will continue to sign up as "freedom fighters" for their cause.

The U.S. certainly isn't leaving Afganistan any time soon with the 100 million dollar bases being built:

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I don't think the Taliban want peace with the US. I think they want you guys the hell out of their country.

It's funny because my uncle once told me that no country has been able to effectively invade Afghanistan. It's truly the unbeatable country. With all is mountains it's probably difficult for any country to wage war there.

Peace talks?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlovenlyGhost
It's funny because my uncle once told me that no country has been able to effectively invade Afghanistan. It's truly the unbeatable country. With all is mountains it's probably difficult for any country to wage war there.

Peace talks?

Except for the Greeks, the Persians, Mongols, Indians and Brits.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike

Originally posted by SlovenlyGhost

Peace talks?

Except for the Greeks, the Persians, Mongols, Indians and Brits.

Oh are you talking about the Grepermonindbritanistan again?

Guess you aren't detecting a pattern yet where all Empires eventually fail and crumble huh?

Or that it's from the cost of far flung military adventures?

Hey with such great friends, who needs enemies!

edit on 19/2/11 by ProtoplasmicTraveler because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
So, It took us 9 years to decide maybe we should just sit down and talk to the people we were fighting instead of trying to kill every single one of them. That's an all-time U.S. record! And it technically wasn't even a war.

U.S.: "You mean you guys don't know the guys that planned and trained the terrorists on 9/11?"

Taliban: “LALALALA!”

U.S.: “Is that a yes or no?”

Taliban: “Who Al-Qaeda? Nope, never even heard of them until you guys got here. If fact not even one of the 9/11 terrorists you speak of was from Afghanistan. So… why'd you invade our country? They were all from Saudi Arabia.”

U.S.: “Umm… we are pretty sure they had some sort of terrorist campout here.”

Taliban: “So you invaded our entire country, destroyed our way of life, and killed hundreds of thousands of innocent people looking for some guys from an entirely different country that practiced rolling around in the sand with AKs and attended a bomb-making arts&crafts seminar for a few weeks?”

U.S.: “Yea huh”

Taliban: “In case you haven’t noticed it is very hard to control everything and everyone in our desert, mountainous country. But hell! That is illegal in our country as well, if we knew what they were planning they would have been executed on the spot and their heads would have been used as polo balls.”

U.S.:
“Seriously? Oh man, we thought you guys were these evil terrorist guys this whole time. Truce?”

Taliban: *palm-face* *palm-face* *head-table* “Do you know how long we’ve been trying to explain this to you?”

WHY HAS IT TAKEN THIS LONG FOR US TO TRY TO TALK THINGS OUT WITH THEM?

edit on 19-2-2011 by tooo many pills because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Thus history repeats... Wonder if it will turn out the same as when saigon fell back in 75...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
One trillion worth of natural rsources, sitting astride the silk road and easily defended....hmmmmmno wonder we are building permanent bases!
Afghanistan is a money pit waiting for the good ole boys to start exploiting it.
We will be there till the last drop of natural resources are extracted, and the ;last dollar is made transporting oil and gas through huge pipelines.......
Afghanistan may even be made an honorary state!

top topics

join