It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California School District Uses GPS to Keep Students From Cutting Class

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

California School District Uses GPS to Keep Students From Cutting Class

www.foxnews.com

A California school district is using GPS devices to keep tabs on students with a history of cutting class.

Anaheim Union High School District is outfitting seventh and eighth grade students with more than three unexcused absences this school year with handheld GPS devices

About 75 students are taking part in the roughly $18,000 program, which is funded by a state grant, the paper reported.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
socialbarrel.com
technolog.msnbc.msn.com

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I have heard of RFID chips for tracking minors, but this was the first I saw of GPS devices.

But it doesn't stop with GPS. They receive daily telephone calls and a thrice weekly visit from a 'truancy coach'.

If I were one of these kids I would feel like I was in jail or on probation.

Add this to the list of reasons your kid might be better off being taught by you at home. Public school system has just gotten a little uglier. And, the nanny state moved in a little bit more on parent's responsibilities.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
This is certainly excessive. How long until we are chipped at birth. Like our pets?

That way we are tracked, we have all of our info on us at all times...

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
although drastic, doesn't it keep these kids in school instead of out doing things they shouldn't be?

especially knowing how today's parents are sooooo great...

Magnum

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
ANd watch the dumb crowd of ATS try to some how defend skipping class

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magnum007
although drastic, doesn't it keep these kids in school instead of out doing things they shouldn't be?

especially knowing how today's parents are sooooo great...
Magnum

Completely agree.
Where the hell are the idiot parents if there is that much truancy. This reminds me in some ways of recent documentaries I watched, namely The Lottery and Waiting for Superman. The messages were different of course than what is being played out here, but fundamentally the same problem exists....crappy parents waiting for someone else to do what they should be doing. Take interest in what your kids do otherwise the state will, show some friggin responsibility.

brill

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Having the government step in and take over parent's job of making sure their kid is going to school further enables bad parenting.

Why are these kids skipping? Sure some are delinquents having sex, doing drugs, etc. But sadly some are probably bullied, embarrassed about their socio-economic status like raggedy clothes, or just socially awkward or don't have any friends. I don't think a system like the GPS-tracking one is good for students that are scared to go to school, they need other help.

Also, the only reason this is being implemented is for money. In one of the articles, it said this system costs 8$ per day, while a kid skipping school costs an average of 35$ in terms of reduced school funding. It's not about helping kids or parents.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
We have a tracker in our daughters car that tells us when she arrives at school and when she leaves in real time. She has always been a good kid but she IS still a kid.

edit on 19-2-2011 by Bachrk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bachrk
We have a tracker in our daughters car that tells us when she arrives at school and when she leaves in real time. She has always been a good kid but she IS still a kid.

edit on 19-2-2011 by Bachrk because: (no reason given)

See, this is good parenting! It's one thing for the government to do it, it's another for parents.

Although I would really not have liked it had my parents done that.
edit on 19-2-2011 by BenIndaSun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Anaheim Union High School District is outfitting seventh and eighth grade students with more than three unexcused absences this school year with handheld GPS devices

They should strap it to their ankle with a lock and key.

Listen up kids: your parents sacrifice and slave to keep a roof over your head and food in your stomach.

Believe it or not, they love you.

And if you skip school often enough, YOUR PARENTS WILL END UP IN JAIL AND YOUR FAMILY WILL NO LONGER EXIST.

Ten years from now, you will need that family. And you will know, your selfish actions destroyed your own family.

CPS and the cops will punish your parents for your lying and stupidity.

Stay In School.

edit on 19-2-2011 by Chakotay because: CLASSIFIED

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Reply to post by BenIndaSun

My parents did not need to do that.

If I had issues at school, the would beat my ass when I got home.

Simple solution.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by BenIndaSun

The only use I see of this kind of technology is to prevent crimes such as this.
But then you have to wonder who should police such information.

Murders of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom

WARNING I don’t recommend anyone who is sensitive like me to look this up on youtube, I cried for two days straight, and I will never forget this brutal, evil behaviour. it was that horrific.
edit on 19/2/11 by Whateva69 because: oops

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
That's ridiculous. I don't think we need others controlling our life's anymore than they already do. We didn't ditch when I was a kid because the parents would get a call and we got dealt with, same as my kids now but I get a computer generated call. I agree with others it just enables more bad parenting. This just sounds more like big brother conditioning, you know.......teach them young.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
no danm wonder california so broke wasting money on such stupid crap. so they have a problem with kids skipping school so what . i mean seriously what do kids have to look forward to with an education. where i live all the factory jobs only hire mexican workers or karin burmese refugees . the high school graduates have nothing to look forward too so why go to school. you say well they could go to college wrong most high schools only have a handfull of kids able to go to college even with excellent grades so i say again why go to school.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I wonder what happens if they encounter a 'truant' student who actually understands the notion of Natural Rights? Good luck putting someone with a brain in line.

I never skipped school but I missed many days because of my Generalized Anxiety and Social Anxiety Disorders so I would have been placed on this list and been 'fitted' for a GPS tracker which I would have told them to shove up their @#!. If a kid misses school it is the parents problem, not the schools to step in and become Nanny State. If my kids missed school it is my problem not the school, I will handle the punishment and manage my kid.

The state wants to be the parent? Good take all the kids, you deal with them. Feed them, clothe them, take them to doctor, wipe their ass, and be there for their emotional needs. No? Oh but sure we can do all the hard work and you take our money then tell us how to raise our kids and even how to live our own life.

edit on 2/20/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by BenIndaSun

This GPS story and the radiations from the telephone that hurt my ear at wich I would hold the phone made me give up the mobile phone!
A friend of mine gave me a call , asked if I could come and have a chat + a coffe , and finally told me WERE I WAS DURING THE CHAT!!!

That's not good...
Not even cheating your girlfriend or vice-versa is not possible anymore

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Bachrk

Haha she could get a GPS jammer for a few hundred bucks, but then you may know something was up if there was missing data.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Instead of bitching on a forum about it lets give them a call and let them know what we think. I will and I don't live there but it is a state of our union and I think it is wrong. It's a trial run for them and with enough voices it will end abruptly. Guaranteed. We don't have to keep rolling over for this crap. If it happened at my school I know what my kids would tell them what to do with their GPS tracking and if they didn't I would.
www.auhsd.k12.ca.us...
edit on 20-2-2011 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join