It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA World Factbook no longer available

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I just noticed that the world factbook on the CIA website is no longer available it seems, at least to the public.

Normally found here.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by warbird03

it works fine?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
just tryed it got this

404 Not Found

The page you requested does not exist on CIA.gov. You may have used an outdated link or typed the address (URL) incorrectly.
Please use the links below or the search form to find the information you seek.

CIA.gov home page

Contact Us (by postal mail, by fax, by phone, or via our e-mail form)

CIA Careers (find a job and submit a resume)

The World Factbook (our premier country reference)
* World Leaders (formerly listed as Chiefs of State)

Site Map (links to major sections of the Web site)

If you have reached this page from a link within CIA.gov, please contact us so we can fix the link as soon as possible. We appreciate your help.

Thank you for visiting CIA.gov.
The CIA Web Team

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

It seems to be working fine for me.
Maybe you're having a technical problem?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
It works fine for me. Im on it.

Middle East :: Bahrain

In 1783, the al-Khalifa family captured Bahrain from the Persians. In order to secure these holdings, it entered into a series of treaties with the UK during the 19th century that made Bahrain a British protectorate. The archipelago attained its independence in 1971. Bahrain's small size and central location among Persian Gulf countries require it to play a delicate balancing act in foreign affairs among its larger neighbors. Facing declining oil reserves, Bahrain has turned to petroleum processing and refining and has transformed itself into an international banking center. King HAMAD bin Isa al-Khalifa, after coming to power in 1999, pushed economic and political reforms to improve relations with the Shia community. Shia political societies participated in 2010 parliamentary and municipal elections. Al Wifaq, the largest Shia political society, won the largest number of seats in the elected chamber of the legislature. However, Shia discontent has resurfaced in recent years with street demonstrations and occasional low-level violence.

www.cia.gov...

edit on 19-2-2011 by tooo many pills because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

Hmm, strange. Anybody else not have it available? I just found the link to download it directly which still works, but some friends I've talked to can't access it from their website either.
edit on 19-2-2011 by warbird03 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
This is discouraging as I was using the Factbook to help my thesis research. I can't access it either. Maybe its just down for maintenance or updating some of the articles?

I couldn't be sure of any other reason to shut it down. I mean this is just factual data about the nations on earth, nothing that could reflect any skewing or conspiracy to harm others.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Works a-ok here. I was using it this morning as well. No problems at all and loads quick and smooth.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Works for me.....

....maybe they haven't processed you yet..

....or maybe they have..

Cosmic...

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I go there weekly. Just got out before logging in here.

Link

No problems at all.

jw

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

404 Not Found

The page you requested does not exist on CIA.gov. You may have used an outdated link or typed the address (URL) incorrectly.

However, given "me", this is not surprising at all. Hey, OP, this probably means our accommodations at Gitmo have been arranged.

I, of course joke.

Kind of....

~Heff

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Interesting. Works okay for me right now, but have been 'shut out' in the past.

...Have you tried other links or searches?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Sir Solomon

Fine here, just clicking the link on the OP.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Alright, this is strange. Using my internet connection at work I can now get to it just fine, but still get the 404 while trying to use my home connection.

new topics

top topics

join