It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Open Government FTP Site

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I was searching on google for Earthquake data and came across an open FTP site that I am not sure ahould be open. Could someone give some advice, I have posted the site below. I don't want to get banned, the way I see it, if the government has made a mistake I cannot be held responsible for this.

Thanks

There are additional directories at the base of the page.

ftp.fbo.gov...

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

are you on some kind of secure computer?? i really dont want to try from home..lol

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Well before we all go clicking on the link why don't don't you tell us why you feel it "shouldn't be open"?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by darrman

Nope, I was Googling eathquakes and USGS and this site was in the list a few pages down. So...

There is a great deal of information on the site, but if the Government have messed up I cannot be held responsible. I am trying to find out if it is supposed to be a secure FTP site.

If it is supposed to be secure then some muppet needs to go on a cyber security course, lol.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Skippy1138

One micro paragraph from the mass of data:

0218 11 Department of the Air Force Air Combat Command 4 CONS 27531 G 711219 1695

The proposed contract action is for supplies or services for which the Government intends to solicit and negotiate with only one source under the authority of FAR 6.302. Interested persons may identify their interest and capability to respond to the requirement or submit proposals. This notice of intent is not a request for competitive proposals. However, all proposals received within forty-five days (thirty days if award is issued under an existing basic ordering agreement) after date of publication of this synopsis will be considered by the Government. A determination by the Government not to compete with this proposed contract based upon responses to this notice is solely within the discretion of the Government. Information received will normally be considered solely for the purpose of determining whether to conduct a competitive procurement.

This is just a tiny paragraph from one of a multitude of pages.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

There are shed loads of contacts and a wealth of other information?

any ideas?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

WELCOME AUTHORIZED USER TO FTP SERVER!

WARNING!
This is a U.S. General Services Administration Federal government
computer system that is "FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY". This system is subject
to monitoring. Therefore, no expectation of privacy is to be assumed.
Individuals found performing unauthorized activities are subject to
disciplinary action including criminal prosecution.

Have a reliable session!

SysAdmin

whats FTP??

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
This is pretty interesting. I'm seeing a few directories popping up that are instantly recognizable. I know somebody working for the Airforce in Colorado Springs. I'm gonna send him a copy of a few directories and see what he says. Maybe this isn't something for the public to view....

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

apparently just Fed Biz Ops, looks like its just an open site. Looks very bizzare though.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Hmm, maybe this FTP area is supposed to be closed.

for the person who asked, FTP = File Tranfer Protocol

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Ok fraidy cats I checked it all out .It seems to be bids and diffinitions of government contracts for many different things.Don't think you will get strung up by your thumbs for looking.Seems kinda benign.Go look just click the links and they open in the same window.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

Thanks

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
XML indexes for this website:
www.fbo.gov...

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

What do you think Phage will we get visited by black ops in the dead of night?
edit on 2/19/2011 by lonegurkha because: Lord please help me to learn to spell

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

Shh..
I'm looking for a RFP from disinfo agents.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
This is how the Govt gets things. Everything from eye protection to weapons.

The Govt. puts up a requirement for a gizmo that can do A B and C

Companies bid on the contract to provide said gizmo to the Govt. for a certain price.

You can probably figure out how the Govt. ends up with alot of useless crap equipment, also all the opportunities for corruption and favoritism.

Hope this explains things.

Also you should always avoid Govt. sites from your home computer, as the vast majority have disclaimers that say by accessing this Govt. IT system you consent to your computer becoming property of the US Govt. and give up any right to privacy regarding information contained on your computer.

Did everybody forget the Cash for Clunkers Scam?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Wasn't that for dealers only? The rights statement, I mean?

www.factcheck.org...

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

If you want to believe that the govt. is not going to take the opportunity to dig through the information stored on your computer then that is your right.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
This looks interesting: note that at some point of the article it says: "secure but unclassified information".

Cool find by the way.

blog.tcg.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
This is how the Govt gets things. Everything from eye protection to weapons.

The Govt. puts up a requirement for a gizmo that can do A B and C

Companies bid on the contract to provide said gizmo to the Govt. for a certain price.

You can probably figure out how the Govt. ends up with alot of useless crap equipment, also all the opportunities for corruption and favoritism.

Hope this explains things.

Also you should always avoid Govt. sites from your home computer, as the vast majority have disclaimers that say by accessing this Govt. IT system you consent to your computer becoming property of the US Govt. and give up any right to privacy regarding information contained on your computer.

I didn't forget and thanks for bringing it up again. Saved me the trouble

<<   2 >>

join