It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning: Food Supply and Affordability are Seriously Threatened

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Warning: Food Supply and Affordability are Seriously Threatened
By Kellene Bishop

Point blank: We are in for some serious trouble with our food supply and consequently our ability to afford it on what we’re presently earning. This trouble isn’t going to manifest itself in a year or two. Nope. We don’t have that much time in this particular area. Rather, it’s headed into our homes no longer than 6 months from now, and more likely to be obvious 6 weeks from now. Unless you’re enjoying an income that can take a 40-50% increase hit in your essential expenses, then I’m certain you will not be spared the impact of this snowball that’s rolling down hill, gaining in momentum and size; and it’s coming right to our front doors.

More:
www.preparednesspro.com...

I don't know if many people on ATS are preppers, but I seriously recommend you take a look at that article and do a little research in the matter.

(www.zerohedge.com...)

If you havn't started, I HIGHLY recommend that you do. (and hey, if nothing happens, then you don't have to go shopping for awhile)
edit on 19-2-2011 by MidnightTide because: COULD ADMIN MOVE THIS TO PROPER FORUM - I MESSED IT UP.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
That's when Monsanto comes in and forces the world into accepting large-scale GM agriculture. +1 for evil corporate elite.
edit on 19-2-2011 by Mdv2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
This has been mentioned in many previous threads and I for one am convinced that forthcoming food shortages and price hikes are going to hit most of the world pretty hard.

With Mass devastation of crops worldwide being a fact and countries now panic buying to ensure foodstocks, this really is the tip of the iceberg.

I've already noticed certain products rising steeply in price and I've started to stock up on Tea/coffee/rice/oats/soya/flour/beans/pulses etc

At the very least I'll save some money as the store/wholesale prices continue to rise whilst having a sustained supply of food should things get tough.

We may not get to the point of food riots in the developed world but you can be as sure as the sun will shine that prices will rise steeply as global demand puts ever more pressure on limited supplies.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Thank you for the heads up. The only problem I have is when people start predicting this sort of thing.

I honestly don't think anyone knows when a Food Crisis will occur. For years now we have had fear mongering. People telling us to stock up! Be prepared! So far, nothing of the sort has happened to us here in America.

Why has this sort of thing not happened? Simple. We have a LOT of farmers and a lot of crops.

For instance. I live near by the Amish here in Lancaster / Chester County area of Pennsylvania. They are always selling plenty of food at their stands and their farm stores. Sorry, I just don't see a food crisis hitting my area anytime soon... The Amish are our backbone in this area. Perhaps I can not speak for the rest of the country but my area seems resiliant to this sort of thing.

I hope I am correct. I fear though that if there was a food shortage / crisis, my area would be inundated with hungry travelers, thieves, and desperate people; in search of food.

I myself have many months of MRE's and water stocked up. It won't last forever but it's a good start I think. We also have means of protection from both weapons and location. I fear very little unless SHTF while I am at owkr and must travel to the safe zone.

Thank you for the post though. Like I said, I think a lot has to do with area and location relative to farming...

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I posted this because I DO feel we are entering time where food shortages will cause some massive strife in the global community (and already has) including North America / Europe.

Due to the weather in recent years, food producing nations have experienced massive crop failures.

You see hints of what is to come in some mass media news articles, but they are hiding the fact that this could be very serious.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Anyone seeing this food inflation in a major US city?

I don't see any sort of food price spikes in or around Phoenix, Arizona.

Prices are cheap as usual.

edit on 19-2-2011 by Regenmacher because: typo

Of what I have seen, it's mainly affecting only small towns.
edit on 19-2-2011 by Regenmacher because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I live in the UK and Food Prices hear are changing daily!!!

At my local supermarket i can buy a product one day go to buy the same product again the day after and have seen increases anywhere from 20-80% its really shocking and this has only been happening in the last month and its mainly across the board everything has gone up its relentless, i have also overheard lots of other customers commenting on how most of the products have gone up unbelievably.

If this keeps happening its gona hit the fan, people round here are already struggling to get by

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Things are normal here only places that are affected at the moment is more eastern sides of thr globe. Its hard to decide what action to take in the UK as nothing happens here much apart from fuel prices

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Is this all just speculation or fact - You decide

Will 2011 be the year that we point to as the beginning of the great global food crisis?
Food prices are soaring, supplies are very tight and already we have seen some very intense food protests flare up around the globe this year. When people don't have enough to eat, they tend to become very desperate, and unfortunately it looks like the global food situation is not going to improve much any time soon. Right now the world is really struggling to feed itself, and with each passing day there are even more mouths to feed. It is being projected that the population of the world will reach 9 billion people by the year 2050. There are already way too many people starving to death around the globe, and unfortunately starvation is only going to become more rampant as food supplies get even tighter.

Some of the key food producing provinces in China are facing their worst drought in 200 years. Flooding has absolutely devastated agricultural production in Australia and Brazil this winter. Russia is still trying to recover from the horrific drought of last summer.

Global weather patterns have gone haywire over the past 12 months, and this is putting immense pressure on a global food system that was already on the verge of a major breakdown.
Food stockpiles all over the world are disturbingly low at this point. If a major global famine broke out not even the United States would be able to last for long.
The U.S. government is supposed to be keeping a lot of food stockpiled in the event of an emergency, but that is just not happening. Right now a desperate scramble for food is beginning. Quite a few nations that used to be huge food exporters are now importing a lot of their food. Prices for staples such as wheat, corn and soybeans are absolutely soaring, and the UN is projecting that they will continue to rise rapidly throughout 2011.

Unless something dramatically changes, the global food situation is only going to get tighter and tighter and tighter as this decade rolls along. So who is going to decide who gets fed and who doesn't? As food prices continue to rise, will we start to see more food riots erupt all over the world as starving populations demand answers from their governments? What is going to happen if weather patterns get even worse or if we have a string of really bad natural disasters? What is going to happen if we experience a really bad global economic collapse? Right now these are just the "birth pains", but if things get much worse we could be looking at a horrific food shortage that will rock the globe.
The following are 14 facts that make you wonder if the coming global food shortage has already begun....

#1 According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, U.S. corn reserves will drop to a 15 year low by the end of 2011.
#2 The United Nations says that the global price of food hit another new all-time high in the month of January.
#3 The price of corn has doubled in the past six months.
#4 The price of wheat has roughly doubled since the middle of 2010.
#5 According to Forbes, the price of soybeans is up about 50% since last June.
#6 The United Nations is projecting that the global price of food will increase by another 30 percent by the end of 2011.
#7 Due to all of the unprecedented flooding, the winter wheat crop in Australia has been absolutely devastated. #8 This winter Brazil was hit by some of the worst flooding that nation has ever seen. This has substantially hampered food production in that country.
#9 Russia, one of the largest wheat producers on the entire globe, is still feeling the effects of last summer's scorching temperatures. In fact, Russia is actually importing wheat this winter to sustain its cattle herds.
#10 China is busy preparing for a "severe, long-lasting drought" that is projected to have a huge impact on several provinces. In fact, Chinese state media says that the eastern province of Shandong is dealing with the worst drought it has seen in 200 years. The provinces being affected by this severe drought grow approximately two-thirds of the wheat in China. The following is a very short video news report about the horrible drought that China is going through right now....
#11 It appears that Chinese imports of corn will be about 9 times larger than the U.S. Department of Agriculture originally projected them to be for 2011.
#12 Approximately 1 billion people around the world go to bed hungry each night.
#13 Somewhere in the world someone starves to death every 3.6 seconds, and 75 percent of those are children under the age of five.
#14 As food has become increasingly scarce around the world, many companies have started using whatever kinds of "fillers" that they can think of in their "food" products. For example, Raw Story is reporting that some companies in China have actually been mass producing "fake rice" that is made partly of plastic. According to one Chinese Restaurant Association official, eating three bowls of this fake rice is the equivalent of consuming an entire plastic bag.

source

edit on 19-2-2011 by studio500 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Regenmacher

Not any vegetables in your add . That's what is being effected mostly right now. Now if the grains and corn for the cows become affected then you will see beef prices soar. We are going to have to see how the growing season turns out here in the US and hope that no winter storms pop up and ruin early crops.

I think farmer markets across the world will actually thrive from this. More people will stop looking for the convenience of the grocery store and start hitting the roadside vendors more.
edit on 19-2-2011 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
At the moment according to the world food index Meat and Dairy are a few of the more more stable resources and exactly what is shown in that flyer by Regenmacher. (making me feel hungry now)

Sugar is going through the roof and will eventually filter down into many processed food sources.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive

Not any vegetables in your add . That's what is being effected mostly right now. Now if the grains and corn for the cows become affected then you will see beef prices soar. We are going to have to see how the growing season turns out here in the US and hope that no winter storms pop up and ruin early crops.

I think farmer markets across the world will actually thrive from this. More people will stop looking for the convenience of the grocery store and start hitting the roadside vendors more.
edit on 19-2-2011 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

Veggies are same price as the usual. Local farmer market usually cheaper and better here too, and still is. This food inflation news been running for several weeks now and I have yet to see any of it, but always good to stock up on canned stuff when prices are low.

Here's another local chain of grocery stores weekly ad: bashas.shoplocal.com...

Anyone have an ad showing ridiculous prices from a big grocery store?
edit on 19-2-2011 by Regenmacher because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I live in the northeastern tip of Mn., just below the border. 1 tomato is currently priced at $ 2.49....one tomato! The reason stated is there is a shortage through mid March. ????!!! makes one think that the worst outcome is possible.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by fredgbear
I live in the northeastern tip of Mn., just below the border. 1 tomato is currently priced at $ 2.49....one tomato! The reason stated is there is a shortage through mid March. ????!!! makes one think that the worst outcome is possible.

I just bought some Roma tomatoes for 49 cents/lb.

That fits into my theory it's only effecting smaller towns and not major cities. I also noticed the farther you live North in the US the higher the food prices. Maybe they are trying to force people to move by reducing distribution to low population areas.

Here's a thread from last week and I went and loaded up, lol....oh well, I'll eat it all eventually:

Produce Cost Triple Over Night! -ATS

edit on 19-2-2011 by Regenmacher because: additional info

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
it doesn't help when china is now making plastic rice which most people in third world contrys will probably have to eat.
it's a good way for the powers that be to get rid of the poor and half the worlds population befor the new world order begins

china's fake rice

food crisis

nwo

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Most products are up where I shop in L.A. county. Up 5-30% as far as I've noticed in last month or 2 alone. Not meats so much, but certainly less sales there. I buy mostly fresh, not boxed foods, which are the ones, you'll feel the pinch on first.

THey are inching up daily, just like fuel is.

Some food for thought:
Drive up the 5 interstate from Central CA to San Fran, It looks like a barron wasteland compared to days of old. SIgns on properties saying "THis is what your govt does for you" or something like that. Water rights pushing farmers out of biz. Like the OP's article says....A perfect storm is brewing.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
The elites are aware of this problem since the 50's. This is all because there are too many people, there is not enough change in the way we are distributing or growing food and more people are added to the equation every year.

Basically this is one of the reasons why they are creating an economic crash.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee
Most products are up where I shop in L.A. county. Up 5-30% as far as I've noticed in last month or 2 alone. Not meats so much, but certainly less sales there. I buy mostly fresh, not boxed foods, which are the ones, you'll feel the pinch on first.

THey are inching up daily, just like fuel is.

Some food for thought:
Drive up the 5 interstate from Central CA to San Fran, It looks like a barron wasteland compared to days of old. SIgns on properties saying "THis is what your govt does for you" or something like that. Water rights pushing farmers out of biz. Like the OP's article says....A perfect storm is brewing.

Looks like cheap prices in L.A. to me:

weeklyspecials.vons.com...
elsupermarkets.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Perhaps nothing will happen, but as I said, better safe then sorry.

I know the price of sugar / chocolate / coffee and cotton has been rising - I do believe that food prices will really start to rise in the next few months.

Also, I have been aware of rising food prices - just take a look at your grocery bill.

It may not happen, but really, can you afford not to prepare for the worst?
edit on 19-2-2011 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
Also, I have been aware of rising food prices - just take a look at your grocery bill.

I keep a huge pantry and I do see grain prices on the rise. Just odd how the big price shocks seem to be only hitting small town America right now. Something is fishy...

My grocery bill has been about the same in the last few years, since we started producing a lot more ethanol and the meat prices rocketed up.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join