It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin protesters to face Tea Party counter protesters today

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

In Wisconsin? I'm not sure...it's a guess. I'm pretty sure this is happening in a lot of places, like FL and NJ. Then they want to "restructure" the pensions so Wall Street can rob them again. This is exactly what happened in the private sector. It was only a matter of time before they went after the public. This isn't about unions other than they stand in the way and are organized enough to fight this for the people they represent, so they must go. I''m sure there's evidence, but neither Wall Street nor the government is going to allow anyone of their own ilk to go to jail. In fact, they'll all probably fist bump and get nice bonuses.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
The new class war comes to Wisconsin [Opinion with links in the article.]

Governor Scott Walker of Wisconsin says that public employee unions are to blame for that state's fiscal woes. Of course, this assumes there was a crisis to begin with. In point of fact, prior to Walker taking the job, Wisonsin's fiscal predicament was actually pretty rosy. Turns out Governor Walker manufactured the crisis. His sights were set on union-busting from the beginning:

The governor called a special session of the legislature and signed two business tax breaks and a conservative health-care policy experiment that lowers overall tax revenues (among other things). The new legislation was not offset, and it turned a surplus into a deficit. As Brian Beutler writes, "public workers are being asked to pick up the tab for this agenda."

The financial collapse of 2008 was caused by reckless economic elites who were well-connected enough to take risks and not suffer consequences for them. This led directly to a $900 billion dollar decrease in the value of public pension funds (not to mention the depletion of privately held 401k’s and other middle-class sources of retirement savings). Now well-connected economic elites are blaming public workers for the sorry state of affairs we find ourselves in and want to cripple public labor unions and further deplete these ‘unsustainable’ public pensions in order to restore fiscal sanity, all while extending their own Bush-era tax cuts indefinitely. Money flows up, after all.

The middle class is being pit against itself. Somehow, thousands of laid off workers and the loss of retirement income for countless others is an economic boon, whereas taxing the wealthy is a sure recipe for fiscal insolvency. Wisconsin is just one example of this elaborate con.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

The governor called a special session of the legislature and signed two business tax breaks and a conservative health-care policy experiment that lowers overall tax revenues (among other things). The new legislation was not offset, and it turned a surplus into a deficit. As Brian Beutler writes, "public workers are being asked to pick up the tab for this agenda."

So, Wisconsin is one of those rare states where the governor can sign bills into law and spend the state into poverty without any help or input from the state legislature? Wow...must be a great job!

I don't think so. I think this is just a variation on the Obama theme of "Blame Bush".

new topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join