It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The UK, blind as a bat?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
hi guys, i am new here this is my first thread.

ok well i live in the UK, and is it me or does the majority here really lack the knowledge of whats going on around the world? is this the same as with every other western country?? seriously, i am at university and its unbelievable how retarded most people are, most of them dont have a clue about anything with reguards to whats happening in the world..

from personal experience, i use to be an arrogant, aggressive individual, i was blinded by material and label very much in the past. it was a phase, ive kinda 'woken' up then i begin doing mass research on things going in the world, the mass bird deaths triggered this, mass deaths are occuring still but there is no news coverage of how potentially important this may be.

ive learned a great deal from the last two months of research, ive quit the boozing every night as my main 'hobby' thats another thing too, no one seems to do anything eles here apart from getting really drunk, ''living for the weekend'' is all there is here.

its rediculous when i bring up subjects reguarding protests, changing of the world, pole shifts, etc NO ONE has any clue to as what i am saying! what the # are people serioulsy brainwashed too an extent the IMPORTANT things outside money, material and media does not even interest/bother them in the slightest??? its really hard to find people who i can relate to, the only other people who seem to understand, is the other races such as indian and african/black people.. they seem to relate and give some interest and give a damn! the rest dont give a # apart from when their next takeaway meal is and most importantly when the next night out is. am not going against that because thats all there is to do here, alcohol and clubbing. i enjoy it myself but i see the vast majority are bloody religious to it spending hundreds of pounds a month on booz.

i understand we are all free will beings and that we can do what we want, we shouldnt encourange the beliefs from one to the other, but major things are going on right now and everyone here is so blind to see it, they shouldnt be because the amount of things going on right now would affect everyones lives sooner or later.

seriously what the hell is going on here. please share your thoughts and opinions

love and peace.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I'm in the u.k aswell, i know exactly where you are coming from.. I have alot of friends but only one that shares my interests in what's going on in the world..People are so wrapped up in their lifes that they seem to take for granted the world we live in and are blind to the the serious issues that are going on under their noses..

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Hi there wongy, welcome to ATS

Im also a mature student in the UK, and your dead right. I used to live for the weekend myself, to be honest it was a great laugh and it got me through the week.

Things have changed a bit, as im back studying again. A few weeks ago i conducted a questionnaire in my psychology group, focusing on Egypt and Mubarak. Out of 8 in the group, only 3 knew of the Egyptians plight, and only 2 knew who Mubarak was. They only knew the name of him from t.v. They all know whos married to who, which celeb is fit, or cute for Americans.

Like you say, we as a nation are blind. The majority keep thei view 'small-picture', such as next weekends lash up.
There are a minority, such as you, and most of the people on here, who want to see the big picture.

Excellent first thread, hope to see more of your views soon buddy.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
i completely get where you're coming from,

The thing is the UK is pretty much the same as everywhere else - sleepwalking through life, blind to what is happening around..you only have to look at the front pages of the sun, mirror etc to see this..with all thats happening in the world the only thing they cover is Jordan's new t**s or whatever!

very, very sad isnt it?

stu

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I am here i the UK as well but being slightly older than student age I can say that most of my friends are aware of the plight in Egypt and the middle east.

I suspect anyone over the age on 30 will have an idea what is happening.
But I can agree some people do not have a clue outside of shopping and soap programs.

If I ask my young adolescent kids then I get a mixed reaction.
One is aware of Egypt and what has been going on but my 28 year old has no idea.

Maybe TV and the news does not play a role in the lives of 20 something's....
edit on 19-2-2011 by diddy1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
wow thanks guys for all your responses, i guess you all clearly know where i am coming from! am 20 here, so i beleive that many people my age are still drunk with young life, i loved the night life, iphones, vivienne westwood etc etc, BUT, it got to a point where, bloody hell i spent all this money, i looked at it all one time and clicked, does all this really really matter, is it really a necessity? it struck me then, no i wont waste half as much money on clothes and all the material crap, i have so much of it i just think i dont even bloody wear them.. which is very common, fashion, like some of you said celeb buzz etc.

but come on, really people of great britain? is jordans tits and beckhams balls really the most important and aspiring thing we have here?

we have unlimited internet, well in education most people do, the wealth of knowledge is unbelievable for such a small price to pay.. fascinating stories other than a celeb life is so much more real and interesting.

it really upsets me to see these people, but then it sobres me up to see they are happy with their lives as they are. but then i think the majority is just the very product of todays government society.

nothing ever happens here. EVER. no major news that is worthy of the globes attention, its relatively stable, like the land of fairys and chavs reaping all our money for their benefits. get taxed to death, petrol is like WTF. surely signs like these would make people wake up abit more..

thanks for the replies keep them coming.
edit on 19-2-2011 by wongy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by wongy

the reality is that regardless of the issues, the people of UK (and the rest of Europe, to an extent) live a comfortable life unaffected by wars or extreme poverty. The only time we are confronted by this is on the TV, and then only for a brief moment - then back to X-factor and Mcdonalds and all is forgotten.

I think what I'm getting at is that until something big happens that directly affects the lives of the general populace, such as a severe food shortage, collapse of the £ or a big natural disaster, the people of the UK will continue to live in our safety bubble of Reality TV, Victoria Beckhams new dress and KFC bargain buckets.

I Don't think the problem lies with people being stupid and / or ignorant, we have been gradually, over time dumbed down by the media to the point where this generation is used to the way things work and accept what we are told...perhaps our need to get trashed every weekend is purely down to the same reasons?

interesting essay on the topic here

Anyway better go...Americas next top model is on...

edit on 19-2-2011 by discostu123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I'm from UK also

Nearly every person I meet over here is, as you say, oblivious to things going on in the world that can affect them other than what happens on a Friday/Saturday night round town... Oh, I forgot magazines...and of course Shameless.

I talk to my family and friends as best I can...but the more you talk about this stuff, the less they seem to want to acknowledge it...and I'm normally quite good at getting a message across.

I'm dropping out of society completely within the next two months and looking forward to it - I started with Facebook, bam, gone. Then my mobile phone...

It feels great and just keeps getting better...

Best thing is the more I distance myself from everyday attachments - the happier I am, and people are finally starting to take notice.
edit on 19/2/11 by iamahumandoing because: addition

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamahumandoing

I'm dropping out of society completely within the next two months and looking forward to it

Can I come? lol

I am in the uk and have friends who range from teens to 70's and most of them don't have a clue. nearly all will say the world is going to crap but can't be specific in what they mean, and I think the reasons would be different from a 20 year old to a 60 year old.

The ones who are interested in current affairs only get censored news from MSM and are oblivious to the gritty details of the world around them. As most of you have mentioned, when I do try and enlighten them with real news most of them give a funny look and start checking the time looking for an easy escape lol!

I suppose we should get some sense of satisfation when the SHTF and we have our "I told you so" moment but I reckon it won't be as satisfying as we think.

The planet is deffinately ready for a population reduction and mother nature has a way of doing her thing, regardless of how wise and powerful the human race thinks it is

Good luck all

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
some very good opinions, yes i do believe we are being dumbed down by media, food possibly too? with all the additives etc? they government knows full well how the brains of humans, fast food tastes really good but does #e all for us - perfect everyone loves good tasting food for cheap prices. not every knows most of it is poison and toxins. but do like a maccy d's now and then! i have to admit.

yes i do agree when you try to 'enlighten' some people they dont really care and it goes from one ear and out the other, its easy to see when they just nod and look somewhere eles.
however recently at uni ive been raising several discussions in my class as a whole, but not telling them, asking them what they think to society as we know it, to my surprise i got some pretty good opinions and not the blank look, instead of telling people interacting with them is easier to get the point across, i often make several jokes aswel to make it sound less boring, then the next day guys will go yeah your truly right, i looked it up last night. etc so raising awareness is a slow and painful process but the results are rewarding

ive emailed to a few lecturers at uni for them to hold lectures about todays economy and things going on outside england, people need to know what kind of financial situations different countries are, afterall people who enroll further education are trying to get better jobs.. earn more, i dread to say it but money..

the class had a lecture about the venus project some of you might heard about it, they all instantly looked at me and knew exactly what our lecturer was talking about, there you go, awareness is then stationed. realizing the truth exists outside the fairyland. we can all do our bit, it takes time though, but i fear time is running out...

i dont agree on isolating from society because social is very important for out development as a species, we are very social beings. we need to help one another to progress further as a whole eles we are just stuck, being dumbed down further. but find the time you need, sort your own life out first then help guide others to see the light on the other side.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Completely disagree with you there. Think a lot of people in the UK are naturally sceptical and not prone to the hysteria that sometimes seems to grip others. I`m not denying that strange things happen but a lot of incidents do have a simple explanation when researched properly. Its Occam`s razor, the simplest explanation is most likely, the correct explanation.

Also without being mean in anyway I would dispute the "research" you have done. Spending two months browsing the weird and wonderful sites on the web does not constitute research. Never has, never will.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by cassini

they are only naturally skeptical because everything unusual seems out the ordinary in their 'normal lives' apart from the latest football news and celeb gossip literally everything unrelated to these types of media would be deemed wtf, 2 months of research has brought me of a good understanding of our current financial climate. then backed up with one of my lectures i had explaining profiteering businesses manufacturing masses of products thus illimunating sustainability consuming more than the world can spit out., i do transport and product design so industry is kind of important and market. simple things like what i just mentioned might seem simple, but people lack that knowledge, i know because 2 months ago i didnt even know jack #.

typical quotes when i bring up topics, ''wtf is a solar flare, i dont know what your on about, you taking drugs mate, cant believe the score last night with man u and man city, who gives a # about pole shifts anyway i just want to get pissed when it happens. Ufo? you mean them things like look like discs when you throw them in the park? i dont know but i know your mum does. i dont give a #e it tastes good anyway, so what am not going to live to see that day anyway so il do what i want.''

2 months of BASIC research shows the amount you can learn.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
This post if funny, it literally could have been written by me!

Im at uni now studying music business and find it very hard to talk to people about anything like we discuss on this site. My girlfriend is pretty shocked sometimes when she see's me watching things like the tether incident etc and I would have thought that my new found interests would freak her out a bit, but the key thing is to give people info that they can digest slowly. Start with things that are obvious, often you need to show them something shockingly out of this world so that they can't deny the evidence, then they will get interested and start to be open to more things.

I used to go out every night, when I played gigs I would go out of my way to get totally smashed and I still binge from time to time I must admit. Now though instead of going out I like to research all kinds of things that this site has info on, thats why I like it so much because it has so many different topics from weaponry to space exploration.

I have the same frustrations tho in finding people to discuiss this stuff with who arn't online (not that I dont enjoy it) Its just nice meeting people to have face to face discussions.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Btw where in the UK is everyone from? Im from Reading and work n study in Guildford.

Should get an ATS meet sorted sometime or something, I no some guys on here were trying to sort out exploring some adanboned bases n stuff about the UK but duno what came of it.

Would just be kool to get some good minds together coz it really does wind me up having to dumb myself down, especially at the bar where I work were any mention of these issues would probably see them try and section me!

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
am studying in huddersfield at the moment but i am from leeds!

yeah i completely agree with you my girlfriend doesnt really pay attention to half the things i say when, so i gave up and 'dumbed myself down, oh your clothes look nice today, where are they from? whats the latest gossip then....'' that kinda stuff...

its interesting, i showed people of some UFO things, the disclosure videos raised alot of interests, i think in china the government has already admitted E.Ts live among us.
but back on the topic, its nice to see people from the UK who are on this site, i wasnt aware that many are. i joined a facebook group called the 'alien project' it use to update everysingle day with masses of information from pole shifts, earthquakes in major state and what magnitude, ufo sightings and videos, things happened in egypt, the lockdown of that military base, something related to atlantis, economy, literally everything ATSers would post but on one facebook page, with reliable sources too, however hes in some financial problems and has not updated since the last 2 weeks, which is a shame, i looked on it every day and it updated me with masses of things going on in the world!

if i am allowed his facebook page is here
www.facebook.com...

if you scroll down all his previous posts contain alot of info, he can update around 20 times a day. such a shame, i then resorted to coming back here to click on every thread for the same info and find the links to the sources.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I am also in the UK and I think you haven`t done any research - - simply chuntered to other young people like yourselves who have no experience of real life. Have you ever travelled, ever seen "real life"?

If you ask around you will find that most people over about 40 actually ARE interested in other things besides booze and "celebrities".

You could also polish-up your spelling while you are about it. The very thought that people are at University and can`t even spell makes me want to close-down higher education completely. What is the point of it if the people going there are semi-literate?

By the way, I am an Irish-educated peasant who was brought up in a four-room concrete cottage on the side of the road in County Tipperary with no plumbing or toilet facilities. 8-))

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Although having just had one conversation I perhaps cede some ground on your points.......

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Yes, those in control have the population here, right where they want it. More CCTV than any other nation on earth. A culture of binge drinking weekends with mind numbingly boring and soul destroying service industry work during the week. That is what this country has become.

We are no longer required to think for ourselves in the U.K. It is done for us, the correct boxes are ticked and the relevent papers signed so that everyone can be absolved of any form of responsibility for another person. In the meantime, the rich feed off the people and laugh at their predicament.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Don't worry mate, it's probably worse over here in the states. I swear to you, the amount of ignorance I see makes me want to kick little puppies.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
thanks again for all the opinions and thoughts.

yes i do know that people over 40+ etc know of whats going in the world because i am waiter working behing the bar in a restaurant, the only conversation i can raise with them is either about the weather, corra, football or the government, i do realise that the elders do know, but only a certain few.
my point was this generation, where we have literally unlimited internet etc. people spend more time on the web than reading a news paper, why isit that basic knowledge is so lacking?
you dont realise when issues raised like this in my class generally create a brainstorm with masses of ideas. this is what every class needs to think OUTSIDE the box rather than reading a BRIEF of the things they need to do in education! staying in the box you are not exploring potential ideas and possibilities, but restricted what is available today then what could be in a few years time when people start to graduate. this is why i think just simple keeping up to date with buisness from around the world should inspire ideas to tackle tomorrows problems.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join