It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Attack on Intelligent people.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
It isn't sexist to know that women have little rights in most of the world, and have reduced and constrained rights throughout most of history.

And that that probably is probably a sexual/reproductive strategy.

Oh noz you didn't, not that old feminist argument. For some reason my emotional unit kind of sparked when I read that. It's freaking bizarre never knew I had one.

So here I go, Yes it is a sexual/reproductive strategy but not all on part of the males, the females chose there constrained rights, or trade there rights for something else that is offered primarily being money and security, and they do it willingly and knowingly. Your argument is silly, and it reminds me of some other females/feminists who said the same thing, and argued the same thing, it went a little like this. It's like saying females rights were restrained in time like the middle ages, and the barons and dukes oppressed them with there laws and could get them to do anything they wanted, both sexually and mentally especially with that whole prima nocta thing, and they never had no choices or rights back then. As if choices and rights have to be written on a piece of paper by other people, for you to have them.

And Nope, that is not even the whole story, the whole story is that them dukes and barons sure some of them abused there positions and abused females especially with that prima nocta law, but a lot didn't. In fact they didn't even need to, the females came in droves to them if they had the chance, for a little tumble in the sack. In fact I would bet money that most females back then would of liked that to happen to them, after all is that not how the whole fairy tale/ Cinderella were the prince/duke marries the peasants daughter comes from? You got to realize those dukes and barons back then, were the Justin Timberlakes and Brad Pitts and rock stars of there day, most didn't need to force any of the females or persuade them that hard, to get in the sack.

I know it's a little extreme on that prima nocta comparison, but back then there were more extreme times, and sure as hell some of them females more then thought about it, just to get away from the peasant life style. Quit acting like your # don't stink, it's getting old. I can smell it through the internet, and your opinion ain't all that little miss thing. You are see through, but aren't we all. And quit acting like females are powerless and oppressed and have no choices, it just ain't true as anybody with eyes can see.

EVERY generation says things like what you posted. Every Single One. Dear Abby once printed a letter about exactly that. The letter was from Ancient Rome, translated to modern English.

Yes every generation says pretty much the same things, not just the op in his assessment's and arguments, but everybody. And as the saying goes, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Being intelligent is clearly a trait which has selection advantage. Otherwise you'd be a tree squirrel.

Being one of the crowd ALSO has a selection advantage.

These things are NOT mutually exclusive.

You are quite wrong, I assure you.

But, allow me to explain my position, instead of just using your argument tactic and asserting things as true just because I CLAIM THEM:

"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, and little minds discuss people."
-An Unknown Sage

THIS:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/331ebe33f60e.jpg[/atsimg]
is a graph of population IQ scores...

This is a base metric of the percentage of intelligence, as graphed by population size, and intelligence quotient.

So, as we can see... small minds discuss people, and there are few small minds.

Average minds discuss events... and that is the majority of the populous.

And Great minds discuss Ideas... again, a small fraction of the overall population.

So, which group is going to get the most socialization?

Which group has the most people of "Like Mind" to discuss their favorite things with?

And who is going to have the most difficult time finding other people to discuss their favorite things with?

The more intelligent you are, the less available social experience you have to work with, because most people are not going to comprehend what you enjoy talking about.

EVERY generation says things like what you posted. Every Single One. Dear Abby once printed a letter about exactly that. The letter was from Ancient Rome, translated to modern English.

What happened to Ancient Rome again?

Oh yeah... the entire society collapsed due to loose fiscal policy. LOL

Thanks for proving my point.

The smart teenagers in the study eventually negotiate perfectly fine sexual relations.

Where is that said in the study again?

I mean, you aren't just making [snip] up again to make yourself look correct, are you?

Source your statement, or GO AWAY, for like, the fourth time.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Maybe a dumber humanity overall will not be such a bad thing.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this one.

As I have stated before, we have more than 50,000 fully operational nuclear warheads on the planet.

An idiotic population is more likely to abuse these weapons to their own peril, and that of the entire biosphere.

I'm sure you could think of some more technological reasons that having humanities intelligence just "Disappear" would be detrimental for life on earth...

Runaway nuclear reactors
Offshore oil rigs belching oil into the gulf... (Hey, wait...)

The point is, that we HAVE a rather complex industrial infrastructure already in existence... and we have a rather large obligation to at least clean up our mess, before we decide to retreat into the trees (As is our cowardly nature) of animal behavior, and running from intelligence.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ErtaiNaGia

Who gave the warheads to the average minds?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
If the findings of this research are true to some extent, then I think the key point is whether those with high IQ scores are less likely to lose their virginity earlier through their own choice or because of less opportunity.

I think it's more likely to be the latter, as scoring high on IQ tests doesn't really make a person any more sexually attractive.

If a woman has an IQ of 170, and a profound knowledge and understanding of physics, chemistry and biology, then that just isn't a ''turn-on'', and her sexual desirability will still be based on her physical attractiveness and, to a lesser extent, her personality.

Similarly, most women may pretend that they have a more sophisticated taste in sexual partners, but ultimately, nine times of out ten, they will prefer the rugged jock type over the deep-thinking science achiever.
If a male student with a high IQ has a lot of success with women, then, once again, it is most likely due to another factor, such as his looks, personality, wealth, social status etc.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Who gave the warheads to the average minds?

My *POINT* is... who will be left to inherit, and use them.

(second line)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I'm not gonna comment on the virginity part because, being 14 years old, not many of my schoolfriends have lost their virginity (although some have).

As for being in a relationship? I used to get bullied, partly due to my intelligence, which caused me low confidence and low self-esteem. I didn't interact with people, which led to lack of conversational skills. So, now, because of the lack of conversational skills, I find it hard to keep friends because they get bored of me due to the fact I don't talk much. I also find it hard to make friends due to lack of confidence, and that includes asking girls out. I never have asked a girl out.

So, I guess in a way the main reason I've never been in a relationship is indirectly because I'm intelligent, leading to bullying, leading to me losing the skills I needed to get into a relationship. But I have to say, most of the bullying was due to other factors too.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I may be up there in IQ. (Haven't tested anytime lately though.)

But seeing things tending towards a "crap world", who'd want to put anybody through that? Also if I'm having difficulty ensuring my own economic success and some degree of comfortable living (we're talking basic middle-class lifestyle here, nothing lavish or even McMansion-like) why would I want to have another mouth to feed? Resources aren't like they used to be, and there really isn't anywhere on this planet left to go. (And my thinking is that the few wild places left should stay wild, lest the planet become even less sustainable for life.) I consider those some valid reasons for not having any progeny, even if the future may lose something because of it.

Now if things were ok now and I saw the near future as being better than now, I'd have no problem with having kids. If I had a decent job, saw humanity going places (like colonizing space) instead of bringing each other down, and very little petty and greedy hoarding of resources (CEOs making jobs available to people who need them at livable wages instead of inflating that golden parachute or using that money for some platinum-plated urinal in the executive office), I'd be much more active in looking for a mate.

I'm not entirely scott-free either. I also consider myself more picky than average about who I'd choose as a mate. Looks is one thing we're hard-wired for, but even past that there's also some things about personality and attitude which I'm very selective about. Even if somebody would be a near "10" - any grating, irritating, or what seems like uncalled-for bitchiness is a big turn-off that totally kills it. A lady that's more average, but a total sweetheart (just short of being gullible) would have a better chance with me. But I don't have much in the way of opportunity right now to get to know somebody well enough.

The attack on intelligence as you'd call it is a multi-tiered problem.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
The number of men on this thead who think that it is fantastic to live without rights and being consider a non-person is truly horrifying. I am thankful I have a vote, so at least I can cancel your dumb ideas out.

If living without rights or personhood is so fantastic - why don't you do it?
edit on 2011/3/7 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ErtaiNaGia

Your graph and your explainations are completely disassociated from each other.

You're putting meaning on a graph that doesn't mean what you are claiming.

I could put up a picture of the ABCs and claim that it indicates that Alpha Centauri is about to go supernova too. It would make as much sense as you putting up a bell curve of intelligence, and associatig your personal views on intelligence onto it.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Which completely explains why Leonard Cohen is popular with the ladies. Still. Its his "rugged jock" thing.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
My 2 cents, don't have time to read the whole thread, so sorry if someone already said it. It is a lack of balance the reason a lot of intelligent people seem to be horrible when it comes to that game. They focus all their time on thinking and such, but ignore the physical and social aspect of the game. Being smart is great, and if you are lucky you might get rich and have a hot gold digger on your arm. But a lot of intelligent people also seem to be total wimps, pushovers, and socially awkward. That is very unattractive. Same goes for the people that can't think their way out of a cardboard box, but are really athletic. It is all about balance.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Techy
I'm not gonna comment on the virginity part because, being 14 years old, not many of my schoolfriends have lost their virginity (although some have).

As for being in a relationship? I used to get bullied, partly due to my intelligence, which caused me low confidence and low self-esteem. I didn't interact with people, which led to lack of conversational skills. So, now, because of the lack of conversational skills, I find it hard to keep friends because they get bored of me due to the fact I don't talk much. I also find it hard to make friends due to lack of confidence, and that includes asking girls out. I never have asked a girl out.

So, I guess in a way the main reason I've never been in a relationship is indirectly because I'm intelligent, leading to bullying, leading to me losing the skills I needed to get into a relationship. But I have to say, most of the bullying was due to other factors too.

Find outlets for your social skills outside of school. This will give you the practice you need, and it is good for you as a person.

The situation corrects itself so long as you don't go down the emotional path the adult men on this thread have.

Think of these adult men and their views as a warning of what NOT to be like. It is very nice of them to be very specific for you.
"Beware not to live your life as a warning to others."

Everyone in your age group is still trying to figure out who they are. Most will figure out this component by their early 20s. Intelligent and unintelligent and everybody in between.

Intelligent people do just fine when they are adults.

Which should make you really wonder what it is that *these* guys are doing sooooooo wrong.

If you're tempted to believe these guys, think of activities which you think that people who are intelligent might engage in, or places they might congregate. (gamers, sci-fi groups, chess clubs, university cafeteria, etc) and then look to see how many of them are sexually active adults, and how many are currently in relationships. It is pretty much all of them.

Intelligence isn't the measurement of a single factor in your head. It is a conglomerate measure. There are people who ace some components far enough that it drowns out the areas they are very weak in. Social intelligence is very much a real thing. One that comes naturally to some. But one that can be analyzed and learned if you think you need to.

Bullying can make you think you don't have social skills, when you do. You just need to find places to continue to practice them if you're being ostracized at school. It sounds like you have some friends, and that's a good thing. It is the kids who don't have any that end up with the hardest hill to climb with this.

Find your tribe, and you'll do fine.

If you need a reason to believe what I'm telling you over these guys - I am a successful intelligent geek. Follow the examples of people who are successful, and not the example of those who are not.
Revolutionary thinking on my part isn't it?

edit on 2011/3/7 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Which completely explains why Leonard Cohen is popular with the ladies. Still. Its his "rugged jock" thing.

I've never heard of Leonard Cohen.

I had to google the name to see who he is/was, and I'm still not sure !

I probably could have worked everything out a lot easier, earlier, if my IQ had been 170+, sadly, if tested, it would probably fall in the 'average' range.

Still, at least I can get laid...

edit on 7-3-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

I've never heard of Leonard Cohen.

I had to google the name to see who he is/was, and I'm still not sure !

I probably could have worked everything out a lot easier, earlier, if my IQ had been 170+, sadly, if tested, it would probably fall in the 'average' range.

Still, at least I can get laid...

How could anyone not have heard of Leonard Cohen?

One of the threads active on the board right now is called "The Love Police" which is a song he sang.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

I also have to say I never heard of em either lol. Then again I couldn't tell you most actor/actress/other famous people's names either. That type of thing just doesn't interest me very much. I have like a million songs on rotation on my hard drive, but most of it I couldn't tell you who is singing it, or the name of the song, just that I liked the song and saved it.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Me neither most of the time. But I happen to know Leonard Cohen, and the guys seen more than a vet.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

How could anyone not have heard of Leonard Cohen?

One of the threads active on the board right now is called "The Love Police" which is a song he sang.

Has he actually done anything of note outside Canada ?

He appears to be a ''Jack of all trades''; singer, singer-songwriter, actor, blah-blah.

The Canadian equivalent of Dick van Dyke, if you will...

Anyway, are you saying that Canadian women find him attractive, even so he is an old man ?

I'm sure that he's very rich, and that he wasn't a bad looking chap in his younger days...

I did a search for some of his younger photos, but he looked quite reminiscent of Dustin Hoffman in his younger acting days !

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Leonard Cohen is known all over the World, not just Canada. You've probably heard quite a few of his songs in movies.

And yeah, the guy has a rep for being a Wilt Chamberlain type with the ladies. (this is of course where you are going to tell me you don't know who Wilt Chamberlain is.)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
The anthropologist Chagrin discovered that among the Yanomomi Primitive Indians ,that 40 percent of the
men had killed another man mostly in inter tribal warfare. He also discovered that those that had killed had more wives
and more children. His findings were not popular with the pc crowd.
So it would seem that aggression was related to sexual success.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join