It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Attack on Intelligent people.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by XL5

Maybe you are not trying hard enough? I have found all kinds of crazy clubs, maybe that was a sign of being from NY though I guess. All kinds of "crazy" clubs out there. My favorite was always the renicaunce fair(yeah mispelled, but I think you know what I mean). Knights, fishmongers, etc etc.

XL5

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I bet there are alot of the crazy clubs locally.

www.youtube.com... funny thing is, even though there are girls there, I still think every one there is still a virgin.

www.youtube.com... I honestly don't know

I'm near Toronto (Canada) and I personally don't think there are "normal" clubs in any feild of engineering field I like. I don't think there are any mechanical and electronic clubs around even if they are a bit crazy for not having booze and babes.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by XL5

man those are just to funny.
larp nerd's!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by HeresHowItGoes

I don't think IQ is passed through genes. I could be wrong, but I have met some pretty stupid kids coming from smart parents, and vice versa.

It's not....

It Is:

Intelligence: A Multidisciplinary Journal:
www.udel.edu...

Genetics of Brain Structure and Intelligence:

Genetic influences on brain morphology and IQ are well studied. A
variety of sophisticated brain-mapping approaches relating genetic in-
fluences on brain structure and intelligence establishes a regional distri-
bution for this relationship that is consistent with behavioral studies. We
highlight those studies that illustrate the complex cortical patterns asso-
ciated with measures of cognitive ability. A measure of cognitive ability,
known as g, has been shown highly heritable across many studies. We
argue that these genetic links are partly mediated by brain structure
that is likewise under strong genetic control. Other factors, such as the
environment, obviously play a role, but the predominant determinant
appears to genetic.

www.loni.ucla.edu...

Intelligence: Genetics, Genes, and Genomics:

More is known about the genetics of intelligence than about any other trait, behavioral or biological, which is selectively reviewed in this article. Two of the most interesting genetic findings are that heritability of intelligence increases throughout the life span and that the same genes affect diverse cognitive abilities. The most exciting direction for genetic research on intelligence is to harness the power of the Human Genome Project to identify some of the specific genes responsible for the heritability of intelligence. The next research direction will be functional genomics—for example, understanding the brain pathways between genes and intelligence. Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) will integrate life sciences research on intelligence; bottom-up molecular biological research will meet top-down psychological research in the brain.

www.pugetsound.edu...

edit on 13-3-2011 by ErtaiNaGia because: formatting

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I believe that balance is the underlying most important thing in the universe.

So, if you have brains and application, you can do a lot of things other people cannot.

If you have no brains and/or no application, the one thing you can do is breed.

I am not saying that intelligent people do not have large families - a lot of them do.

What I am saying is that I think it is easier for less intelligent people to have kids with several partners.

I am not judging this at all - I just think it may be true.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Sex requires zero intelligence and has nothing to do with this topic.

Further derailment into smut will be deleted and persistence will result in enforced abstinence.

Continue.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I think you should read the OP.

You took what I said, way, way out of context.

It had NOTHING to do with "smut", and I find the use of this term in reference to what I said as highly offensive.

It was on topic.
edit on 9-6-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Okay, let's see if we can get any additional commentary on the subject.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Everything is dependent on the person. This study makes wrong conclusions based on the data. High Intelligence and Lower Sexual Activity are not directly correlated. The conclusion misses out the fact that many highly intelligent people make choices that bring them to the point of lack of relationships.

I know both: Very popular intelligent and less popular ones, although on average it is true that there are more less popular ones, although it is not because of their intelligence.

Usually people who are highly intelligent tend to socially isolate themselves at a younger age. I do not know many very intelligent people who started doing sports a young age, most were interested in technology, computers, learning (which are not bad hobbies). Although that created a situation where they isolated themselves more and more from the others. This led to lower social skills and as not having much friends they tend to spend more of their time isolated. That took them to the point they were.

I personally have MENSA level IQ. I was interested in joining them, although they do not have an office in this country and the international level was not worth it in my opinion due to higher costs. Currently I have a Master´s Degree in Robotics. I have always been in interested in technology, so we might say I have "nerdier" hobbies.

Yet, I have never had problems with the opposite sex. It is just a matter of going out. Popularity/Social Proof matters a lot though in the current culture.

When I was younger, I used to do deal with Mind Sports (I got some very good results at adult level at the age of 12, competing against the local winners of Jeopardy and other professionals) , although I was also fascinated with Physical Sports. I was very interested in Greek Mythology and Ancient Greek when I was younger (around 6-8). From there I loved the idea of "Sound Mind in the Sound Body" - perfection and balance between both - the body and the mind. Thats why I started many different trainings at the same time - Football, Basketball, at some point I have tried nearly every field. In all those trainings I met many new people

At some point (about 10ish) I came across a book by Daniel Goleman - Emotional Intelligence. My father had bought it, although it was in English, which was not my mother tongue. I had learned it for 5 years, although it was more advanced level in the books, so I read it with an English dictionary next to me
I loved the book and started researching a lot on the matter, from body language to human psychology. I started putting more and more attention on communicating with people. It was like a game for me, as I tried to figure everybody out. This trained my social skills a lot in years. I still have this passion of meeting new people, whether in university, bars, travels. It is simply amazing

Although the whole point is. The fact that intelligent people have harder getting a relationship is not because of their intelligence, but their lower social skills. Because of being more isolated during teen years, many have less social experience and empathy. You have to understand people to communicate with them. I have noticed intelligent people tend to want to have conversation on more intellectual and deep topics. I have nothing against it, I love talking about something with a point in it, although average people just want to have fun, care-free chit-chat. When you approach them with some deeper stuff, they close down. If you are friends with somebody for a longer period, you can discuss such things, although having fun at a bar in a Friday night is not the place to bring up such topics. You have to feel the person/people in front of you. Sometimes such topics are fine,everything depends on people, although most people do not care much about these and find these boring, so you have to adapt to them in order to get further in a relationship, either as friends or lovers, unfortunately many intelligent people tend to be socially a bit awkward and that is the reason why they are having difficulties in finding somebody.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

High Intelligence and Lower Sexual Activity are not directly correlated.

But... they WERE....

Uhm.. I don't think "Correlate" is the word that you are looking for.

usually people who are highly intelligent tend to socially isolate themselves at a younger age.

No, they do not "Self-Isolate", the majority of the population rejects them.

The fact that you are stating the opposite of what actually happens, is a PROBLEM.

The fact that intelligent people have harder getting a relationship is not because of their intelligence, but their lower social skills. Because of being more isolated during teen years, many have less social experience and empathy.

Would you say that intelligent people are also attacked/bullied more often than non-intelligent people?

What do you think this would do to their "Social Skills"?

When you approach them with some deeper stuff, they close down.

although most people do not care much about these and find these boring, so you have to adapt to them in order to get further in a relationship

So, they don't want to talk about stuff that they don't want to talk about...

But we have to talk about stuff that we don't want to talk about?

Do you think that enjoying discussing things that the majority do not enjoy talking about also has a negative effect on their social skills?

Popularity/Social Proof matters a lot though in the current culture.

I don't think you needed to use the term "Popularity" and "Social Proof" in the same sentence, because popularity in a social sense is usually because of social proof.

Do you think that the media has anything to do with what the majority enjoy discussing?

Do you think that social hierarchies, and the desire to be popular, dictates what people discuss?

The modern school age child is VERY accepting of a variety of different kinds of people....

Race, Gender, Sexual orientation, Religion, Personal Views and outlooks....

Everyone is accepted... Everyone.....

Unless you are smart.
edit on 30-4-2013 by ErtaiNaGia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErtaiNaGia
But... they WERE....

Uhm.. I don't think "Correlate" is the word that you are looking for.

Maybe correlation is not the best word, basically I meant linked directly.

The research showed that on average people who are higher IQ have lower sexual activity. That is true.

Although the conclusion based on these numbers is wrong. It is not because of the IQ, but other reasons, why more intelligent people tend to be less popular among the opposite sex.

No, they do not "Self-Isolate", the majority of the population rejects them.

The fact that you are stating the opposite of what actually happens, is a PROBLEM.

I agree rejecting might be a better word, although in a way it is also a self-isolation.Again the conclusion is wrong. I can tell you from personal experience. Nobody ignores somebody because they are smart. They are ignored for other reasons.

Smarter kids tend to talk smart. They know more and they want to tell about it to others. Smart people need to use their knowledge in their advantage instead of using it as their weakness, which many do. You have understand what is perceived as cool and what is not, what is fun, what is not. What may sound fun for you, might not sound boring to another person. Many people do that mistake.

What creates friends? Similar interests is the most common factor among friends (or knowing each other for a long time). If there are hundreds kids who are interested in one thing and 5 kids are interested in something else and there are nearly no matching hobbies, the 5 kids are rejected, unless their hobbies or they are considered cool in some other way (fun to hang out with, good sense of humour, very cool hobbies etc).

Would you say that intelligent people are also attacked/bullied more often than non-intelligent people?

What do you think this would do to their "Social Skills"?

It is their difference and popularity. Unless a person is considered cool or "in", they are bullied. Social awkwardness which is common among many younger intelligent kids is a way to get bullied.

So, they don't want to talk about stuff that they don't want to talk about...

But we have to talk about stuff that we don't want to talk about?

There is is more of average/lower intelligence people than smart people.

Golden rule of public speaking and conversations: consider your audience. You have adapt to them. Talk about stuff that interests them, not the stuff that interest you, unless these match.

If I am interested in opera, I talk about with people who are interested in it, not the people who only care about video games, electronic music, 9gag and facebook. With them I talk about these matters, what they are interested in. Of course there are less people who are interested in the first matter. If I only talked with them, I would have only a few friends. Although a smart person can find interest in basically anything if they want to and as they learn fast, it is not hard to know about different fields. I can talk about the latest technology, d different mind sports, cultural activities and comics just as I can talk about the life of Hollywood starts, soccer, latest movies and what is happening in the local club scene (visiting artists etc). Wide horizon is easy to achieve for us

Another thing I have noticed many smarter people have problems with is just "bullsh*ting around" about anything. Often smarter people tend to want everything they say to have a meaning, although majority of people doesn´t care about it. Gossiping, talking about women, just chit-chat is the most common thing people talk about.

Do you think that enjoying discussing things that the majority do not enjoy talking about also has a negative effect on their social skills?

Yes. It is called social experience. Just like anything you also gain experience when talking to people. You gain the experience when to say something, how to say it, where to say it, whom to say it. If you discuss such things a lot people (especially if they do not find it interesting) they ignore you. The more people you talk to, the more experience you get. When people ignore, you have less people to talk to, you gain less experience, which may often lead to social awkwardness.
edit on 30-4-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Maybe correlation is not the best word, basically I meant linked directly.

The word you are looking for is causation "Causally linked" or something along the line.

Although the conclusion based on these numbers is wrong. It is not because of the IQ, but other reasons, why more intelligent people tend to be less popular among the opposite sex.

I disagree...

I agree rejecting might be a better word, although in a way it is also a self-isolation.

Rejecting is the correct term, only it is not the intelligent who are rejecting society, it is society who are rejecting the intelligent.

Because they are "Different"

I can tell you from personal experience. Nobody ignores somebody because they are smart. They are ignored for other reasons.

And your personal anecdote is fallacious.

Smarter kids tend to talk smart.

And stupid people are threatened by this, and so they attack.

It is their difference and popularity. Unless a person is considered cool or "in", they are bullied. Social awkwardness which is common among many younger intelligent kids is a way to get bullied.

I think you have the correlation and causation backwards.

Bullying tends to lead to social awkwardness.

Another thing I have noticed many smarter people have problems with is just "bullsh*ting around" about anything. Often smarter people tend to want everything they say to have a meaning, although majority of people doesn´t care about it. Gossiping, talking about women, just chit-chat is the most common thing people talk about.

Yes, I too have noticed that many people tend to emulate the fake people they see on the televisions, as opposed to having meaningful conversations.

Yes. It is called social experience. Just like anything you also gain experience when talking to people. You gain the experience when to say something, how to say it, where to say it, whom to say it. If you discuss such things a lot people (especially if they do not find it interesting) they ignore you. The more people you talk to, the more experience you get. When people ignore, you have less people to talk to, you gain less experience, which may often lead to social awkwardness.

And what if those people don't want to talk to you, because your ability to see through illusions and deceptions is a direct threat to their Faked confidence that they construct around themselves to trick the opposite sex into.... sex..?

And they feel directly threatened by that?

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I don't think you needed to use the term "Popularity" and "Social Proof" in the same sentence, because popularity in a social sense is usually because of social proof.

Yes, they are very similar, although they are not the same. Using them in the same sentence might have not been the best idea.

Do you think that the media has anything to do with what the majority enjoy discussing?

Yes, of course. Media dictates the trends in a way. Although many of it is just basic social psychology, although knowing the latest trends is often needed, unless a person is very fun and interesting considered by others. I know some very popular people who know nothing about these matters, although they can read people like books. It comes naturally for them to know what is in and what is not.

People who are smart are often portrayed as nerds/geeks in movies, TV etc. Usually they are portrayed as being very skinny (or fat), socially awkward, having nearly no sense of fashion, being interested in stuff, that most people find boring/dry, unathletic etc, all of which are not desirable traits. If you meet similar people at somewhere, automatically the negative things come up and that creates the negative label which people tend to make . It is hard to change the first impression, which often forms very fast. The longer it takes to change it, the more impossible it becomes. It is very hard for someone who was unpopular at first 5-9 years, to become popular in the last year, unless some really strong change has happened. First appearance matters a lot.

Do you think that social hierarchies, and the desire to be popular, dictates what people discuss?

Yes, up to some point.

The modern school age child is VERY accepting of a variety of different kinds of people....

Race, Gender, Sexual orientation, Religion, Personal Views and outlooks....

Everyone is accepted... Everyone.....

Unless you are smart.

Nobody cares whether you are smart or not, as long as a person is considered interesting/fun to hang out with and is "socially acceptable", not weird, awkward, fits the typical portrayal of "nerd/geek" in media etc. If one has these characteristics, they tend to be outcasted more among school age children.

It is hard to explain such topics as these something one can not measure and often somewhat subjective. Saying feel it is hard to understand for people who have never felt it before.

Just learn basics of social psychology, sales, even advertising is very good way to learn how society is actually influenced + apply it to get experience.

Connecting with people is the most important thing where many smart people have problems with as they I are different in a way. If you can not connect with somebody, there is not way for you to have a sexual relationship. If you can not connect with many people at school, you become unpopular and that again affects one´s chances as popularity is important for many girls and it might lower theirs.

It is hard to build a reputation and even harder to hold it. EQ is just as important as IQ, although many forget it and that is the reason behind the study not the IQ. EQ does not equal to IQ, these are separate things. EQ makes one popular and unfortunately many people with higher intelligence tend to forget it.

Intelligence is an advantage if it comes with high social skills. If not, it is a weakness among school age.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Nobody cares whether you are smart or not, as long as a person is considered interesting/fun to hang out with and is "socially acceptable", not weird

You just said it....

They don't call smart people "Smart", they call them "Weird"

BECAUSE THEY ARE SMART.

EQ makes one popular and unfortunately many people with higher intelligence tend to forget it.

No, you are missing the entire point.... People who are smart lack social experience because the majority SHUNS them because of their intelligence.

I keep hearing this argument that "Intelligent people don't want to be popular", as if PEOPLE OF ANY KIND don't want to be popular.

EVERYONE wants to be popular.

EVERYONE.

Intelligent people TRY to be popular... they TRY to socialize... they TRY to fit in.....

They DESPERATELY SEEK ACCEPTANCE OF THEIR PEERS, because it is an *INSTINCT*

We are a SOCIAL SPECIES.... we have INSTINCTS for group acceptance.

And the intelligent people are ACTIVELY SHUNNED from participation in Not only Social Situations, but ALSO Romantic situations.

IT is the systemic ostrization of Intelligent people FROM social situations, for the PURPOSE of decreasing their social support networks, reproductive possibilities, etcetera....

And eventually, due to the MONOLITHIC NATURE of the social ostrization, they GIVE UP.

Don't blame the smart kids..... Don't Ever.
edit on 30-4-2013 by ErtaiNaGia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

The word you are looking for is causation "Causally linked" or something along the line.

I apologise. English is not my mother language. I was taught correlating means linked with, although the context might vary, so I apologice for mixing up some terms.

Rejecting is the correct term, only it is not the intelligent who are rejecting society, it is society who are rejecting the intelligent.

Because they are "Different"

Yes, different. Although everybody has the option to adapt. If one did not adapt, it was their fault. It was their choice, their personal responsibility. So in a way they self-isolated. Nobody asks people to change themselves, although they do not want to be pushed into something they are not interested in. If you have a limited amount of hobbies, which are not considered very popular, you have two choices: Stick to the small group with only these hobbies, while being ignored by others or pick someone new ones, find new friends with similar interests and hang out with both of these groups.

And your personal anecdote is fallacious.

Anecdote? I was straight A student who was popular. I have regular sex life. So how come I am out of the statistics?

And stupid people are threatened by this, and so they attack.

Why should one be friends with somebody they feel threatened by? Friends are people you find comfortable and fun to hang out with. Positive emotions not negative ones. Most people avoid negative feelings, it is common psychology.

I think you have the correlation and causation backwards. Bullying tends to lead to social awkwardness.

It is both correlation and causation. Bullying is caused by social awkwardness and makes the problem even worse.

Yes, I too have noticed that many people tend to emulate the fake people they see on the televisions, as opposed to having meaningful conversations.

Again, either ditch the majority or join both sides - majority and minority although you have to bear the consequences of having a smaller social circle. Lots of girls tend to be in the majority.

And what if those people don't want to talk to you, because your ability to see through illusions and deceptions is a direct threat to their Faked confidence that they construct around themselves to trick the opposite sex into.... sex..?

Nobody wants to feel threatened. You can see it through although you do not have to point it out or show that you see it through. That way everybody wins. Unfortunately lots of people from the opposite sex are attracted to the confidence which often is faked. If one´s problem is not getting sex, he just has to go to bar... . It is much harder to find somebody who is right for you to develop something long-term.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ErtaiNaGia

Did it take into account that most teens with high IQ's looked like this?

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

You just said it....

They don't call smart people "Smart", they call them "Weird"

BECAUSE THEY ARE SMART.

Look at some movie about unpopular smart kids. Check their clothing styles, behaviour, everything but their intelligence and then tell they are unliked because they are smart, not because they are weird on other things. Most kids who were very smart, at least in the school I was at, were a bit weird by these habits. They had different interests, different style (often no sense of style), weak body language, not very confident , often not athletic at all (too skinny, baggier clothes etc). All that was the reason, not their intelligence.

No, you are missing the entire point.... People who are smart lack social experience because the majority SHUNS them because of their intelligence.

I keep hearing this argument that "Intelligent people don't want to be popular", as if PEOPLE OF ANY KIND don't want to be popular.

EVERYONE wants to be popular.

EVERYONE.

Intelligent people TRY to be popular... they TRY to socialize... they TRY to fit in.....

They DESPERATELY SEEK ACCEPTANCE OF THEIR PEERS, because it is an *INSTINCT*

We are a SOCIAL SPECIES.... we have INSTINCTS for group acceptance.

And the intelligent people are ACTIVELY SHUNNED from participation in Not only Social Situations, but ALSO Romantic situations.

IT is the systemic ostrization of Intelligent people FROM social situations, for the PURPOSE of decreasing their social support networks, reproductive possibilities, etcetera....

And eventually, due to the MONOLITHIC NATURE of the social ostrization, they GIVE UP.

Don't blame the smart kids..... Don't Ever.

I agree. Everybody wants it and social experience due to isolation is one of the main reasons for lower EQ usually.

They are not shunned because of intelligence, but because of them pushing it to others. You might be intelligent, but you do not have to show it on every possibility. There are times to show it, but too much is too much. In order to show your intelligence you have to understand what people want to hear and what does not interest them. There are also other factors in it: how you say it, how your voice sounds like, the timing. For most people it comes normally - basic social experience. For some it does not. When talking others, talk about them, have fun, be interested, joke around, take it easy. Make others feel good about hanging out with you, not threatened.

Intelligent socially well-off person has no problems with popularity.
Intelligent socially awkward person. Intelligence is a killer of popularity when one is socially awkward.

I agree people want to be popular. The tough thing it is very hard to become popular if one has once labelled in the unpopular group and that is the problem. Unless you realised the importance of social experience young, then you might be screwed for a long time, as if one realises it too late, it might already be too late to change the label. People label, it is wrong, but they do it and it can not be changed.

There were several people who I know, who realised it late and they were just seen as tryhards as their social part was already much weaker. Again something I dislike about the society, but the only way is to accept it, as it can not be changed. I asked a couple of friends who were not the popular to my basketball practice. They did not connect with the team at all and sucked really bad. Eventually all of them quit.They just gave up.

In order to change later on, one needs to get the same experience others did in shorter time. It is like skipping some years in education and they trying to get back on track, although one is already behind all the others and it is not easy to get to same level and past them. It needs lots of work. Unless one is naturally good at something, it is very-very hard.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by ErtaiNaGia

Did it take into account that most teens with high IQ's looked like this?

Haha

Exactly one of my points. Many intelligent people fit such stereotype. Not exactly, but up to some point. And the reason behind the low success with opposite sex is not because of their intelligence, but other reasons.

If someone thinks such person does not get women because of his intelligence, this shows some real lack of social understanding.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join