It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Attack on Intelligent people.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
IT seems to me that society has been set up to completely halt the reproductive success of intelligent males, as every intelligent male that I have met has trouble getting into relationships, and having sexual lives.

I was wondering WHY this could be, and maybe you all have some theories as to why this is?

I have come across some interesting information, mainly studies that cite specifically that High IQ people have difficulty in this aspect of their lives.

blogs.discovermagazine.com...

Last December I passed a paper along to Razib showing that high-school age adolescents with higher IQs and extremely low IQs were less likely to have had first intercourse than those with average to below average intelligence. (i.e. for males with IQs under 70, 63.3% were still virgins, for those with IQs between 70-90 only 50.2% were virgin, 58.6% were virgins with IQs between 90-110, and 70.3% with IQs over 110 were virgins)

The team looked at 1000s of representative teens grades 7-12 in the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health and The Biosocial Factors in Adolescent Development datasets, both of which include an IQ test, and include detailed sexual experience questions ranging from hand-holding to intercourse. As with the other study there was a curvilinear relationship: students with IQs above 100 and below 70 were significantly less likely to have had intercourse than those in between. Also like the other study, they found teens with IQs ranging from 75 to 90 had the lowest probability of virginity (the authors note this is also the same IQ range where propensity towards crime peaks).

Depending on the specific age and gender, an adolescent with an IQ of 100 was 1.5 to 5 times more likely to have had intercourse than a teen with a score of 120 or 130. Each additional point of IQ increased the odds of virginity by 2.7% for males and 1.7% for females. But higher IQ had a similar relationship across the entire range of romantic/sexual interactions, decreasing the odds that teens had ever kissed or even held hands with a member of the opposite sex at each age.

The student surveys at MIT and Wellesley also compared virginity by academic major. The chart for Wellesley displayed below shows that 0% of studio art majors were virgins, but 72% of biology majors were virgins, and 83% of biochem and math majors were virgins! Similarly, at MIT 20% of 'humanities' majors were virgins, but 73% of biology majors. (Apparently those most likely to read Darwin are also the least Darwinian!)

www.gnxp.com...

So, yes, Intelligence is INVERSELY correlated to sexual experience.....

Now, I have some theories of my own, but I want to see some other theories first! (Interested parties only,
)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Actually, I do seem to recall a study that the higher the IQ the less likely of producing a child.. Although there is a correlation with cultural bias (one that I admit I have experienced), it also seems to have to do with preference.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ErtaiNaGia

Here is mine:

Maybe these intelligent men we have here has discovered their "truth" about love, here is my guess to what "truth" they have known.

First love is deeply winded with pain and suffering, love in my opinion can only end in two possibilities
1)The love for that person dies OR
2)The person who is loved dies.

Both of those will most likely end in pain and suffering, maybe this intelligent men have made up their minds to not to mingle with love anymore.

Here is another one maybe they discovered that love is a useful tool for control, if you love someone with all your heart he/she can control you or maybe they discovered that love is a useful tool of Satan. Maybe they discovered that love and sex is one of the most irresistible desires there is to mankind, maybe they have known that love, sex and desires for material things is designed to keep us all occupied and to be happy/content of living this life without searching for the truth - gnosis, maybe they have understood that to escape this Hell or prison or earth or whatever you want to call it they have to let go of the EGO and be reborn.

Just my thoughts.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
where are all these intelligent people?
more like people with invested interests
no such thing as intelligence.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Society seems to have a disdain for any activities involving abstraction and rigor. If you have hobbies involving any of these activities, you're a "nerd". Another thing I notice is many people think intuition and vague understanding of vocabulary can make up for not studying years at a university. This is especially prevalent for follows of pop-BS artists like Haramein. Without any understanding and simply throwing big words, they have a disdain for traditional views of science without even having an understanding of traditional science.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   

I hate to jump down the all women are ego maniacs street but a lot of women really are. Not only would someone who is smart see through their crap but these women could never win at the game they so love to play which is "I'm always right". When you show signs of not putting up with this game because they are clearly wrong they tend to cheat. But it would seem from my post that i have a lot to worry about in the smart section because i have dated and slept with a lot of women and posting this info isn't highly intelligent. A lot of women don't think logically in relationships please do not kill me for this but its true and I'm not saying they don't think logically I'm saying in relationship they don't. They let emotions take control and when that happens wow watch out.
edit on 19-2-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
i never thought that my IQ score could be related to my lack of sexual activity...im a 25 year old female, and i've never been on a date or in a relationship. i've never held hands, or kissed, or anything. i think my IQ tested at 138 and my career goal is in a science field. my opinions on love, dating, sex and relationships, tend to confuse people. they dont understand why i wouldnt want to do these things. but i see love as just a chemical reaction in the brain that makes you think you want someone or something strongly, and i see sex as gross and primitive. i dont find participating in either of them appealing. sex and relationships can be an interesting topic of discussion, im not shy about discussing it or anything, im not shy about the topics, i just dont feel any need to go out and do any of it.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by questcequecest

where are all these intelligent people?
more like people with invested interests
no such thing as intelligence.

I'm afraid that you are mistaken from several different vantage points.

1. "Where are all these intelligent people"

The sources that I provided studied samples of individuals ranging in IQ from low to High, this would be WHERE these intelligent people are... and other places as well.

2. "More like people with invested interests"

Intelligence and "Vested Interests" are not the same thing, and you would do well to distance yourself from such foolish assertions.

3. "No such thing as Intelligence"

This is a Base Fallacy; Intelligence is:

1. the ability to comprehend; to understand and profit from experience
2. Intelligence is an umbrella term describing a property of the mind comprehending related abilities, such as the capacities for abstract thought, reasoning, planning and problem solving, the use of language, and to learn.
3. Capacity of mind, especially to understand principles, truths, facts or meanings, acquire knowledge, and apply it to practice; the ability to learn and comprehend; An entity that has such capacities.

This is the word that we are talking about, and it's definition, please spare us from your own misinformed opinion about the veracity of reality, thank you for your cooperation.

And have a Nice Day...

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lateralussicksicksick

Here is mine:

Maybe these intelligent men we have here has discovered their "truth" about love, here is my guess to what "truth" they have known.

First love is deeply winded with pain and suffering, love in my opinion can only end in two possibilities
1)The love for that person dies OR
2)The person who is loved dies.

Both of those will most likely end in pain and suffering, maybe this intelligent men have made up their minds to not to mingle with love anymore.

Here is another one maybe they discovered that love is a useful tool for control, if you love someone with all your heart he/she can control you or maybe they discovered that love is a useful tool of Satan. Maybe they discovered that love and sex is one of the most irresistible desires there is to mankind, maybe they have known that love, sex and desires for material things is designed to keep us all occupied and to be happy/content of living this life without searching for the truth - gnosis, maybe they have understood that to escape this Hell or prison or earth or whatever you want to call it they have to let go of the EGO and be reborn.

Just my thoughts.

Not a bad theory however, men need women to procreate! It is a situation
of damned if you do and damned if you don't. That said, being damned with
a women is much nicer than being damned without one
There are women out there that won't want to control us anymore than we
want to control them (sex for instance) men just have to keep looking. I'd
take a highly intelligent women over a superficial one anyday of course we all
have certain preferences (that goes for women too by the way). Best case
scenerio would be to find an intelligent woman that is also searching for the
truth. (and being smokin hot wouldn't hurt either
)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by devilishlyangelic23

I've been much the same way. But then I met someone I really cared about, but it wasn't in a sexual way. Rejection hurts like hell, when you really care for someone, but I had to let her go. Still think about her from time to time, even though it's been years. Haven't felt the same way about anybody since. I'm more interested in mastering technical subjects than relationships. Guess I'm going to die celibate.
edit on 19-2-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Interesting perspectives.... all around... (With obvious Exceptions)

I would like to add to this discussion an interesting Concept, and see where it goes:

Social proof, also known as informational social influence, is a psychological phenomenon that occurs in ambiguous social situations when people are unable to determine the appropriate mode of behavior. Making the assumption that surrounding people possess more knowledge about the situation, they will deem the behavior of others as appropriate or better informed.

Social influence in general can lead to conformity of large groups of individuals in either correct or mistaken choices, a phenomenon sometimes referred to as herd behavior. Although social proof at least in part reflects a rational motive to take into account the information of others, formal analysis shows that it can cause people to converge too quickly upon a single choice, so that decisions of even large groups of individuals may reflect very little information (see information cascades).

en.wikipedia.org...

An information (or informational) cascade occurs when people observe the actions of others and then make the same choice that the others have made, independently of their own private information signals. Because it is usually sensible to do what other people are doing, the phenomenon is assumed to be the result of rational choice. Nevertheless, information cascades can sometimes lead to arbitrary or even erroneous decisions.

en.wikipedia.org...

Okay, what are your thoughts now?
edit on 19-2-2011 by ErtaiNaGia because: +Information Cascade

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilishlyangelic23
i never thought that my IQ score could be related to my lack of sexual activity...im a 25 year old female, and i've never been on a date or in a relationship. i've never held hands, or kissed, or anything. i think my IQ tested at 138 and my career goal is in a science field. my opinions on love, dating, sex and relationships, tend to confuse people. they dont understand why i wouldnt want to do these things. but i see love as just a chemical reaction in the brain that makes you think you want someone or something strongly, and i see sex as gross and primitive. i dont find participating in either of them appealing. sex and relationships can be an interesting topic of discussion, im not shy about discussing it or anything, im not shy about the topics, i just dont feel any need to go out and do any of it.

You won't take this wrong if you mean what you say about sex being an interesting
topic of discussion. I think you have never found a guy that can give you multiple orgasms
all night long or else you might think differently about sex. You'll never know until you've
experienced that.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr. D

You won't take this wrong if you mean what you say about sex being an interesting
topic of discussion. I think you have never found a guy that can give you multiple orgasms
all night long or else you might think differently about sex. You'll never know until you've
experienced that.

Please keep on topic of discussion... for thread and discussion continuity.

Thank you for your cooperation.

And have a Nice Day.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ErtaiNaGia
reply to post by Mr. D

experienced that.

Please keep on topic of discussion... for thread and discussion continuity.

Thank you for your cooperation.

And have a Nice Day.

I am on topic just have to read between the lines. Trying to explain the relationship
between intelligence and experience. Oh and I will have a nice day thank you
very much.

en.wikipedia.org...

Intelligence is a term describing a property of the mind including related abilities, such as the capacities for abstract thought, understanding, communication, reasoning, learning, learning from past experiences, planning, and problem solving.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I think some people who love solving problems and engaging in abstract thought get a high when learning new concepts, which makes pursuing such subjects further more interesting than reproduction. For instance they might not care much about "social graces" and might make them seem arrogant for not considering ideas they know is meaningless trite. Look at how Newton, Gauss, etc are viewed by society. If your knowledge makes you sure of some subjects, people accuse you of being close-minded when you disagree with their point of view. This too might scare off the opposite sex.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I was adding in the Subject of Information cascades and social proof to further the conversation, I would like to hear some alternative perspectives on how these phenomenons could account for the disparity between intelligence and sexual experience.

If anyone has anything to share on this subject, I would appreciate it.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. D
experienced that.

its an interesting topic of discussion because i dont know why people do it...i dont know why people "fall for it" so to speak. i just want to understand why everyone goes nuts over love and lose their ability for rational thought or self control. its like people become no more consciously evolved than animals when hormones take over...and it doesnt make sense to me. so i like to discuss it to better understand

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ErtaiNaGia
I was adding in the Subject of Information cascades and social proof to further the conversation, I would like to hear some alternative perspectives on how these phenomenons could account for the disparity between intelligence and sexual experience.

If anyone has anything to share on this subject, I would appreciate it.

Information cascades is easy, social proof is another subject altogether hehe.

Information cascades:

en.wikipedia.org...

Fractal

A fractal is "a rough or fragmented geometric shape that can be split into parts, each of which is (at least approximately) a reduced-size copy of the whole,"[1] a property called self-similarity. Roots of the idea of fractals go back to the 17th century, while mathematically rigorous treatment of fractals can be traced back to functions studied by Karl Weierstrass, Georg Cantor and Felix Hausdorff a century later in studying functions that were continuous but not differentiable; however, the term fractal was coined by Benoît Mandelbrot in 1975 and was derived from the Latin fractus meaning "broken" or "fractured." A mathematical fractal is based on an equation that undergoes iteration, a form of feedback based on recursion.[2] There are several examples of fractals, which are defined as portraying exact self-similarity, quasi self-similarity, or statistical self-similarity. While fractals are a mathematical construct, they are found in nature, which has led to their inclusion in artwork. They are useful in medicine, soil mechanics, seismology, and technical analysis.

Social proof of sexual experience:

I don't kiss and tell

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by devilishlyangelic23

its an interesting topic of discussion because i dont know why people do it...i dont know why people "fall for it" so to speak. i just want to understand why everyone goes nuts over love and lose their ability for rational thought or self control. its like people become no more consciously evolved than animals when hormones take over...and it doesnt make sense to me. so i like to discuss it to better understand

Yes, I agree with you, but I think that information cascades have some bearing on the topic, as does mass media influence.

How people act in a civilization, is commonly not rational, and is mainly a reflection of the actions of those at the apex of the social pyramid.

This behavioral patterning can be observed in many social animals, and humans as well, and in fact, is a well studied phenomenon.

IT is Mass Media, and the Actors portrayed therein that is the Default Social "Apex" that I am discussing, and the majority of society tends to mirror television personalities in this fashion.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr. D

Social proof of sexual experience:

I don't kiss and tell

That is not an accurate sentence reflecting an understanding of "Social Proof" as a concept.

Social proof is a type of behavioral mirroring of others in the social setting, that is adopted due to insufficient information about the social mores of that setting.

I.E. "Monkey See, Monkey Do"

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join