It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Save The World... Eat A Bug

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   

There is a rational, even persuasive, argument for voluntarily eating insects: Bugs are high in protein, require less space to grow and offer a more environmentally friendly alternative to the vertebrates we Westerners prefer, advocates of the bug fare say.

Intellectually I know many cultures eat insects regularly and enjoy it. But my societal influenced brain says eeeww. Most of us Westerners think like this, because we were taught bugs=icky. We waste a lot that other countries don't. If a SHTF scenario arose lots of us would have a hard time with eating creepy crawlers.

"The suggestion that insects would be more efficient has been around for quite some time," said Dennis Oonincx, an entomologist at Wageningen University in the Netherlands. He and other researchers decided to test it, by comparing the greenhouse gas emissions from five species of insects with those of cattle and pigs.

No hole in the ozone layer over that ant farm!

Cattle produced the least carbon dioxide per unit of body mass. However, the picture changed once growth rate was considered. The data indicated that insects grow more rapidly, and they emit less carbon dioxide per unit of weight gained than do cattle and pigs. The cockroach was the clear winner in this latter category; meanwhile, cattle produced the most carbon dioxide per pound (or kilogram) gained.

Wouldn't it have to be the cockroach that was the clear winner?

"It is clearly worthwhile investigating alternative sources of high-quality protein," Dangourwrote. "However, the practical barriers to eating insects (in Westernized societies) are extremely large and perhaps currently even likely to be insurmountable."

I would absolutely agree with this like I said in my opening paragraph. It would undoubtedly provide a more substantial food source if we could overcome what has been so deeply ingrained in us. It would probably be healthier as well, since most all of our meat is full of artificial ingredients and preservatives.

Would you be willing to eat insects to make earh a healthier planet?

Read more here...
www.livescience.com...

edit on 2/19/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Maybe someday, we can do to grasshoppers and mill worms what the Indians did to corn.

It's almost 3 in the morning and now I'm getting hungry.

I'd try it, but I don't think I'd change my diet to focus on insects, unless it was absolutely necessary.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by satron

I would eat if I had to. I am not sure I would just go and buy some for dessert. It is an interesting concept none the less and I may be more into it if they can be prepared to look like cheeseburgers or something.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Yeah, I have always wondered why won't we eat bugs. I have heard that some bugs actually taste good and are good for your health. They require minimal food and shelter, they have minimal affect to global warming.

And when I watched Timon&Pumba, those bugs looked delicious

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Lol, the only damn bug I'm eating voluntarily, sits at the bottom of a bottle of mescal.

Oh and the heads are still crunchy in there, believe it or not....

8]~~~

Seriously, (that was true tho) I would eat bugs if they were presented NOT as normal food. I don't like the idea of seeing rice and having to decide if it's rice or some maggot like bug made to look like rice.

I think the disguising it as normal food puts a lot of people off.. I know it does me.

if I'm gunna eat a plate of grasshoppers, then I want there to be no misunderstanding in my mind as to what it is...

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Oh and come to think of it, I am positive that we do eat bugs voluntarily to some degree.

Ever seen how a cockroach curls up when they come into contact with boiling water? Prawns anyone?

Half of the sea food we eat I am sure is the sea equivalent of bugs. They even call some of them Bugs...

Tell me this is no some sort of insect of the sea... oO

balmain bugs...

(oh and yes I know the technicalities.... BUT!)
edit on 19/2/2011 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Eww.

I am the opposite. I don't want any of my food looking back at me.

I have heard (probably an urban legend) that on average a person will eat 2 to 3 spiders every year in their sleep.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
reply to post by badw0lf

Eww.

I am the opposite. I don't want any of my food looking back at me.

I have heard (probably an urban legend) that on average a person will eat 2 to 3 spiders every year in their sleep.

Haha fair enough, but then I'd be like "I wonder what I just ate..." and I hate eating strange foods to be told it was something really wrong..

Yeah also there is an acceptable amount of insects or parts thereof, in the foods we already eat. Even coffee..

Tho Im pretty sure I've aboided eating spiders in my sleep, others bugs tho... oO I don't wanna think about it.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

Those were Disney bugs! They are supposed to look good.

Every other country eats every part of the animal as well. Brains, hearts, entrails, eyes etc. We have been taught that those things are disgusting, so we can't imagine eating a lot of that stuff.

It is a shame. It would certainly cut down on that grocery bill every week.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I'll rather eat my own farts than a bug. N.O F.U.D.G.I.N.G. W.A.Y.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Farnhold

-----
Personally I would have no problem eating insects. I am willing to try anything once; Insects open the door to many new tastes and texture to be experienced.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

That's one reaoson I don't eat seafood. If it doesn't cluck or graze I don't eat it.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Check the FDA regulations. All of us of who eat processed foods eat bugs regularly as they are impossible to keep from getting into foods. So, yes, all of us eat bugs whether we are aware of it or not.

On the other hand I've eaten bugs regularly on survival outings and some aren't all that bad tasting, Then there are some that taste incredibly bad.
As a rule, eat no brightly colored insects.
Most larvae are safe to eat.

The best are crickets, grasshoppers and large water beetles.
Remove the wings and spiny legs before consuming.
Bon Apetit!

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I prefer to believe that my food contains no "pieces/parts".
Again I suppose it goes back to out of sight out of mind.

Did you do the survival outings in the military or just for fun?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I'll give this a pass, thank you very much. I suggest the bloodlines enjoy. Its their game of dark squared chess after all, with barely a light square in sight! May the royal families munch away on all the insects they like.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I prefer to believe that my food contains no "pieces/parts".
Again I suppose it goes back to out of sight out of mind.

Did you do the survival outings in the military or just for fun?

Just for "fun", if you could call it that.
I've taken dozens of survival classes and eating God-knows-what is usually part of them.

new topics

top topics

join