It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Madrid Science links.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
36.42073,-89.367256

So there are alot of doom and gloom post here about the quakes here in Arkansas. I for one always take what people say and research it. Just like the Beck says on all his tv and radio crap. "I'll give you the information but you go out and fact check it." And also to the "Its a Tesla device." folks. This thread is not trying to debunk your ideas. We all know that there are evil men who want to destroy the world as we know it. Maybe there on the right path to help stop the world from destroying it self with weapons that won't go away. If I had to chose I would chose a fake natural disaster over a nuke any-day.

I live in the NW part of the state so the impact on me will not be as bad. We will be some of first ones there to help. SnR teams and such will dispatch from my local area within the first hour of the said quake. If the destruction is local then help us please. (whenever that may be). Below are a few of the links that I have found to be informative and also very vague and kinda like talking to a palm reader. So here they are and enjoy.

This sequence of three very large earthquakes is usually referred to as the New Madrid earthquakes, after the Missouri town that was the largest settlement on the Mississippi River between St. Louis, Missouri and Natchez, Mississippi.

USGS site

We identified at least two cycles of pervasive meandering that were interrupted by channel-straightening responses occurring upstream of the Reelfoot fault scarp. These straightening responses initiated at 2244 BC +/− 269 to 1620 BC +/− 220 and AD 900, respectively, and each records initiation of a period of Reelfoot fault slip after millennia of relative tectonic quiescence. The second (or New Madrid) straightening response was triggered by the previously known AD 900 fault slip event, and this initial low sinuosity has been protracted until the modern day by the latter AD 1450 and AD 1812 events. The first (or Bondurant) straightening response began a period of several hundred to 1400 years of low river sinuosity which evidences a similar period of multiple recurrent displacement events on the Reelfoot fault. These Bondurant events predate the existing paleoseismic record for the Reelfoot fault. These data offer initial evidence that slip events on the Reelfoot fault were temporally clustered on millennial scales and, thus, offers the first direct evidence for millennial-scale clustering of earthquakes on a continental-interior fault

Only an abstract but informative.

What I gather from the above abstract is that the cluster is a millennial event and the 1812 quakes could be fore shocks to a larger quake. Or we are having aftershocks from the 1812 quake. (nobody knows until after the thing happens)

New Madrid fault shutting down.
A team from Purdue and Northwestern universities analyzed the fault motion for eight years using global positioning system measurements and found that it is much less than expected given the 500- to 1,000-year repeat cycle for major earthquakes on that fault. The last large earthquakes in the New Madrid seismic zone were magnitude 7-7.5 events in 1811 and 1812.

Purdue link

So after more searching and getting past the (NEW MADRID FAULT SHUTTING DOWN)

I found this The orgin of the statement.The MSM missed the point. More than one fault; one has a release and it sends the pressure to other faults in the area.

In it, instead of focusing on one major long-lived fault – like the San Andreas – we need to think of how different faults interact. Geologists are just starting to develop computer models of how it would work. An interesting question is whether the recent cluster of big earthquakes – the 1811-12, 1450, and 900 AD ones, is coming to an end. We can’t tell, but the longer the GPS data keep showing no motion, the more likely it seems The idea that earthquakes in the mid-continent are episodic, clustered, and migrating implies that we should think differently about earthquake hazards. Conventional thinking has been that the big danger is from earthquakes on the main New Madrid fault, although there was also some hazard from smaller earthquakes on other faults. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is pressuring communities in the region, which includes parts of Illinois, Indiana, Tennessee, Arkansas and Kentucky, to adopt building codes as strong — and as expensive — as California’s. Communities are grappling with how to react because it’s not clear if such stricter codes make economic sense. However, as the scientific case for this high hazard appears weaker, FEMA is now slowly starting to back down. We have a long way to go to fully understand Midwest earthquakes, but the new GPS data are a major step in the right direction

Here is a small PDF that has a little info and some good pictures that show what they mean by a SAND BLOWS
UARK pdf

So in the end even after I have read all this and much more I have come to the conclusion that nobody knows what will happen in there part of the woods. So get ready for it all.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Better to be prepared and nothing happen than to have something happen and be unprepared.

new topics

join