It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US vetoes UN resolution condemning Israeli settlements

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

US vetoes UN resolution condemning Israeli settlements

www.bbc.co.uk

The US has vetoed an Arab resolution at the UN Security Council condemning Israeli settlements in the Palestinian territories as an obstacle to peace. All 14 other members of the Security Council backed the resolution, which had been endorsed by the Palestine Liberation Organisation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 18-2-2011 by FermiFlux because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Well why isn't this surprising...the Obama Administration continues to, in in my opinion, embarrass itself by being pushed around by such a small nation. The article states there was "strong pressure" from the pro-Israeli lobbyists and Congress (duh) for Washington to use its veto.

In a resolution that was sponsored by 130 COUNTRIES, who all shared the same opinion in the fact that the settlements by Israel are illegal and an "obstacle to the achievement of a just, lasting and comprehensive peace", you'd think that the administration would know better than to take sides when there is such an international backing.

But no, the U.S knows better of course, because they think; "Unfortunately, this draft resolution risks hardening the positions of both sides,".

Ridiculous....being from the UK, this angers me that the U.S can openly wave away illegal acts from an allied nation, under the scrutiny of the international states, with absolutely no repercussions.

What do you guys in the U.S. think of this?

www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
how long are they seriously gonna keep this crap up? they're just asking for mass protests aren't they?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I'm in the US and I think its horrible. I didn't know 130 countries sponsored it that's amazing. For some reason I think Obama really wants this to stop, but I think there is a real threat if America and any other nation doesn't tow the line. Be it nuclear or economic. Who knows whats really going on behind closed doors?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Elementary, my dear Watson. It's the Holocaust Museum built in Washington, D.C. that swayed the U.S. govt to veto the resolution. It made the American people feel guilty about the Holocaust, even though it didn't occurred on American soil, and the American people have nothing to do with it.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by FermiFlux

Well why isn't this surprising...the Obama Administration continues to, in in my opinion, embarrass itself by being pushed around by such a small nation. The article states there was "strong pressure" from the pro-Israeli lobbyists and Congress (duh) for Washington to use its veto.

In a resolution that was sponsored by 130 COUNTRIES, who all shared the same opinion in the fact that the settlements by Israel are illegal and an "obstacle to the achievement of a just, lasting and comprehensive peace", you'd think that the administration would know better than to take sides when there is such an international backing.

But no, the U.S knows better of course, because they think; "Unfortunately, this draft resolution risks hardening the positions of both sides,".

Ridiculous....being from the UK, this angers me that the U.S can openly wave away illegal acts from an allied nation, under the scrutiny of the international states, with absolutely no repercussions.

What do you guys in the U.S. think of this?

www.bbc.co.uk

Soooooo, do we get a free "Cry Pass" when one of our UNSC resolutions are vetoed?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I bet Obama really hated to have to veto that resolution. I'm sure if most all of congress wasn't pressing him to do so he wouldn't have. It wouldn't surprise me that he would want Israel to be handed over to the moslemans to be slaughtered like sheep. I guess it's just not time to come out of the closet yet.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
This is only bad news if you hate Israel, I guess.

The last thing Israel needs is to be isolated from it's only real ally. The United States.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboxoftrix
I bet Obama really hated to have to veto that resolution. I'm sure if most all of congress wasn't pressing him to do so he wouldn't have. It wouldn't surprise me that he would want Israel to be handed over to the moslemans to be slaughtered like sheep. I guess it's just not time to come out of the closet yet.

I don't understand that part of your post. How or why would a president that has been adamant in the defense and support of Israel since his appointment as POTUS want to slaughter the said people?

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

The last thing Israel needs is to be isolated from it's only real ally. The United States.

Well, I don't think that being complacent when an ally commits an illegal act would help the credibility of the United States at all. If the Palestinians committed such acts, they would be condemned with immediate effect. Wouldn't that portray the United States as a hypocritical state? Would you accept the blatant contradictive standpoint your nation would be seen as having in order to defend Israel?

edit on 18-2-2011 by FermiFlux because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by FermiFlux

I'm sorry no. The Obama administration has been far less than warm to Israel than even the Clinton administration while giving quarter to 12er regimes like that of Iran.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to wake up one day to the news that the Obama administration did nothing as Israel was firebombed by all the nations that are currently in revolt today.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

It depends on how you see Israel.

I think it is ONE Jewish nation surrounded by Muslim enemies on all sides.

I'd defend Israel from that and I'm not a particularly staunch Israel defender.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
This is the reason Arabs hate the US (besides installing dictators in their countries). Its not because of Dunkin doughnuts.

Oh but wait its because their book says to hate us.

(pulls some wierd quote from the Q'uran)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Hmm I can see where you're coming from, but the matter at hand here is the unlawful demolishing of Palestinian homes to build Israeli settlements, under the premise that the Israeli's think they have the "right" to takeover by force because they strongly believe that the land belongs to them.

There is no lawful right for Israel to be forcibly removing Palestinian's from their homes, so wouldn't you agree, in this case, that Israel is in the wrong and the Veto from the U.S is simply an overlook of wrong-doing to blindly support it's ally? I mean, surely all the other U.N nations have good support for Israel but they know when it's time to let them know, that the people of Palestine deserve equal treatment from the international community Israel receives.
edit on 18-2-2011 by FermiFlux because: Grammar

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

No. this is only a bad idea if you hate democracy..

Get rid of the stupid veto votes or start a different UN type council..

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I think that its great that you will go fight for Israel. I on the other hand couldn't care less. It was their choice to put themselves into that wasps nest. Why should Americans suffer?

Please tell me why I, as an american should support such an "ally" with tax dollars and deal with a wrecked foreign policy, brought forth by AIPAC bribes to congress.

Please tell me why I should support this "ally" knowing about things such as the "Lavon Affair", the "USS Liberty", "John Pollard", and dare I say "strange coincidences on 911"?

People say ohhh well they're the only democracy in the Middle East, thats a bunch of crap. Israel loves their little Arab dictators and stands behind everything that they do. When was israel behind the people during this whole Egypt thing? They stood behind the dictator.

(if you need a plane ticket to Israel maybe i can help?)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

I'm pretty damn sur the Muslims didn't get a vote when it came to taking their land to form Israel..
Israel chose to be there knowing full well they were surrounded..
That crap talk annoys me..

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

I'm sorry no. The Obama administration has been far less than warm to Israel than even the Clinton administration while giving quarter to 12er regimes like that of Iran.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to wake up one day to the news that the Obama administration did nothing as Israel was firebombed by all the nations that are currently in revolt today.

C'mon mate. has the money stopped flowing into Israel from a US in debt??
Israel is sucking the US dry..

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Even during colonial times, the brits and spanish did not migrate their own people enmass into occupied territory. The only times such was done was during WW2 by the Nazis into occupied Poland and europe, and even then, it was largely unsuccessful due to security reasons.

Today, the Nazi Zionists are attempting to re-perform Hitler's mistakes once again, and put not only the innocent Jews lives in the proposed settlements at risk, but the nation, the palestinains and those who supportive of our innocent jewish brothers and sisters common aspirations.

The Age of Expansion began its end in the 16th century, when most nations kept to their borders, culminating a finality by 1945. The horrors of conquest were brought to mankind's attention, and majority were in condemnation of it. Thus the dismantling of the Brit empire and French concessions around the world, giving freedom back to the natives.

No doubt Israel did not not start the war with its neighbours, but it should understand that in our modern times, the occupation of won territories will only bring condemnation by the rest of the world, even by those whom had supported and protected Israel with war equipment, arms and economic aid, not to mention that it had been the goodwill of Planet Earth's nations that had supported Israel wish for statehood within its borders at the UN in the late 40s.

Just as the neighbours had been condemned for the war brought upon Israel, so too must Israel be condemned for its occupation of seized territories. This occupation not the work of Jewish descendants whom had been persecuted in Europe in the past, whom would have understood discrimination, hurt and pain, but is an agenda by zionist politicians with conquest ambitions.

US, by its veto, will be the one to be condemn for its support of such treacherious zionist ambitions against humanity, and will be held accountable, one way or another. This time, the bully best not shed crocodile tears, and tricked an entire nation into killing brother against brother as it did in Afghanistan and Iraq.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

If Israel is making agreements to not build in a certain area and then it turns around and builds in that area, then they are wrong for doing so. There is sanctity in contracts.

BUT, the idea that the US should condemn Israel at the illegitimate globalist organization like the UN where more than 70% of it's members are dictatorships of one form or another is ludicrous. Where people get the idea that the UN should have authority when it's body is largely made up of nations that don't care about human freedom and would soon see Israel destroyed is beyond me.

And thank you for debating the issues with me rather than the typical Israel hate one sees around here.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join