It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2011 Stinkbug Invasion: Forecast is Biblical

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

ahhh , stink bugs!
Oh come on , they are really nice creatures!
Just that they stink...
I love those bugs!
Too bad they are so many in your area!
In Romania I haven't seen /touched one for some time now...
And I used to spend a lot of time in nature , in the mountains , or just working in my garden/property!

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
We have them also in the UK.

I did'nt notice them until a few years ago, but now we have been having a variety of insects that have supposedly drifted to our parts through the Gulf Stream that eventually settle here.

And yes, they are ugly little things

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Not a big problem here, but last year we had a massive amount of fire ants. I was constantly walking around with a bag of fire ant rid. They build huge mounds almost overnight, there are hundreds in one mound and they STING!
I'm usually either barefoot or in flip-flops outside and got stung several times.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
My family went north for Christmas and we stop in PA to visit some family there. They were battling stink bugs then. They were killing handfulls a day--squishing them off the wall or the table or stomping them on the floor. Ick. This was the last week of December into the first week of January and it was cold.

I've seen similar looking bugs in the summer here in the SE US. They're much bigger and black but have the same "shield" shaped body. Ugly buggers.

Fire ants -- I won that war for now. As much as I hate spraying insecticide, I finally broke down and bought some of that Home Defense stuff and sprayed it around my foundation. It has kept the ants out. I was finding them everywhere inside. Every day, I would find a new trail of ants inside the house and have to spray. I would find thousands crawling in my cupboards, across the living room floor, under furniture, once I even found a trail coming down the stairs. At that time, my twins were crawling/starting to walk so I had to keep them out. They woulnd't be so intolerable if they didn't sting.

If you mess with a mound, like kick the dirt around or smash it in, they'll move the nest.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

As a former Florida resident, I have to agree with you about the love bugs and mosquitos, but as a current PA resident being attacked by the stinkbugs, let me tell ya, I will take mosquitos and love bugs ANY DAY. They ride ON you into the house if they can't get in any other way. They stink to high heavens and man oh man, if one dies in a room and you don't see it, the carcass smell tells other stinkbugs that it is a safe place to go. It is horrible. They hang out around your doors and windows just waiting for you to open them. You can't put your hands on porch railings or sit on furniture, because they are already there. They dive bomb you, trying to catch a ride. HORRIBLE I tell ya!

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
The answer is not to kill the pests but to stop them from reproducing. Neem oil will screw up their reproductive system.

To get rid of the live ones drop them in a solution of dawn dishwashing detergent and water or regular brown listerene.

Better yet get a shop vac and put solution or listerene in the bottom. Do not use the shop vac for anything else.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

KNOXVILLE, MD. — As the weather warms, scientists warn that billions of stink bugs -- far worse than last year -- will be awakening and reproducing by the end of the month

Many of us in the mid-atlantic region of the US have been battling stinkbugs since the end of summer last year. I still flush about 10 a day. Many have less, or more.

You can't squish them, raid doesn't work. They smell to high heaven (like rotting grass) and you can either vacuum them, or flush them.

So imagine my horror when it came out on the news that they will now swarm worse then ever..

This is on top of what is already living in the house. I can't move a stack of papers without finding them. They sit on my coffee maker and crawl across the tv screen. From a distance, they look like cute cockroaches.

And here I have been complaining about the freezing weather up here all winter. The thing is, I would rather live in a cold climate than to have to put up with those bugs. I cannot imagine what it must be like and really don't want to either.

Please keep your stinkbugapocolypse, you have my sympathies. I hope that it isn't as bad as forecast for all of you that are affected with this invasion.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by daggyz

Yes, we have 10 a day that literally crawl out of the woodwork, from inside the house, in the middle of winter. Those are the ones that wander out of hibernation.

If you read the articles, that I posted, you will see that they are going to swarm in the BILLIONS across 12 states. And if you also read my excerpts, you will see that they have already destroyed millions of dollars in crops.

And if you actually looked at the link (see a pattern here?) you would see that the first article called it that.

I had hundreds upon hundreds over my windows last fall. They are now saying it is going to be ten times worse.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
To clarify the exact stinkbug and why it is a problem...

There are native species of stinkbugs. Green ones, etc. They are ecologically fine. Some of you may report seeing those.

This particular stinkbug that is invading the Mid-Atlantic region is the marmoset stinkbug. Or aka the Asian stinkbug.

It has only been in the country for 10 years. It came off a port, supposedly in Pennsylvania.

It has no natural predators, being brand new to the hood and all.

That is why they are such a problem.

The recent weather the past year or so has helped it breed in insane numbers and is now wreaking havoc on the ecology, and my house.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Say hello to my little friends.

Now this is the usual number on my screen or window, after the swarm. During the swarm there were hundreds. I filled the vacuum 3 times.

If its gonna be ten times worse, well I dunno!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/32bd81f502a8.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

The raid doesn't kill but it does stun them or eventually kill them. What I have been doing is spraying it in the vacuum as I suck them up.

But I would prefer something more organic like the neem oil. And it is not unpleasant smelling. Maybe I will make a solution and spray it around the house.

Good idea.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

I tested some Home Defense on the windows. It does seem to repel them somewhat.

I don't like the use of chemicals. But it seems Home Defense is the least of all evils when it comes to that.

I also have issues with house centipedes. (shivers) so I need it for those too.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I haven't smelled them yet. I may not be able to, given that I have squished a few and not smelled anything. We had a ton of them and saw them all through winter because our house is not in the best of shape and until we can afford to get windows and doors replaced they can come in. I did not realize they were so harmful to our food supply. I had just been tossing them back outside but now that I know what a threat they really pose I'll start killing all that I find.

Even spiders don't seem to know what to do with them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join