It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neat little survival tool

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Since we seem to spend a lot of time discussing the ideal firearm for survival/shtf situations, I thought I'd throw this out there.
We seem to be stuck with either carrying a larger,more powerful rifle that is good for larger game and self defense or a small,light gun(.22 usually) that is ideal for small game but less so for the others. Well, there may be a solution for you!
A couple years ago at the local gun show I picked up two neat little devices called Hammonds Game Getter. It is basically an adaptor that allows you to turn your large centrefire rifle into a quiet yet capable small game rifle. It consists of a standard nickel plated cartridge in your caliber of choice(I have one in .444 Marlin and one in .270 Winchester) that has has the cartridge head replaced with a machined steel piece. In this piece is bored a .22 cal hole, off centre enough to let your firing pin hit it on the rim.
To use it, you load a .22 powershot round, the kind used for power hammer's. These can be bought in different power levels at about any hardware store. Then, you push a proper size lead ball or pellet into the neck of the cartridge. Load it as you normally would and let fly! It's about as loud as a .22, depending on which power level you choose, and is surprisingly accurate. It includes a swaging die with which you can make the proper size lead slugs. You can use a buckshot that is clsoe in size and use a punch to drive it through the die, resulting in a proper sized slug. I use #4 buckshot for the .270 and just buy regular .44cal roundball for the .444. The roundball is easier to use for sure,although the .270 with it's little pellet works good too.
The power is quite surprising, as I was able to drive a .44 roundball almost through a pressure treated 2x6 at 30 yards. My buddy got one in 45-70 and we punched through 2x4 at close range. It is accurate enough to shoot gophers at 40 yards and more, although it may shoot to a different POI than you regular rounds,so check it out first.
All in all, it's a pretty useful little tool,and you can also use it to finish a big game animal that's wounded instead of hitting it with another regular round. It's also great to carry while big game hunting. If you spot a groue,rabbit,pheasent etc,just slip it into the chamber and you can pop it without destroying it.
There a fair bit of info online,and I think you can order them online as well. Check it out if it sounds interesting to you, I can attest to it's usefullnes.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Sounds interesting, I never heard of these.

I'll check it out thanks....

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Good idea. Portable . easy

Instructions

gunloads.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
OK !

I give up.

Found many reviews but no where says where to buy the damn things???????????

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Hmmm,not sure myself. If the owner shows up at the gun show again next weekend I'll ask him about it.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I actually got a hold of him and have one ordered for my Nagant (7.62x54r)

The guy (Brian) was extremely nice and shot it out into the mail to me THEN had me send payment.

Very trusting, I hope people don't take advantage of his generosity.

My Mosin Nagant will now be capable of taking everything from rabbit & squirrel up to Elk.

A one rifle system?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by mwood

Awesome,glad you got ahold of him. He really is a great guy, it was great just standing around talking to him at the gun show. He had a little wooden block with him that someone had made for him that he used with the swaging die. You can make one yourself easily enough with a piece of 2x4 and a couple drill bits. I used a spade bit the same diameter as the die to give it a secure seat,then drill a deeper 1/2 diameter hole to let the slug drop through. You can drill another hole,angling slightly upwards,from the side to join the vertical hole,letting you completed slug drop free of the die and roll out of the block. Saves you having to remove your die and tip out the slug every time you make one.

Give us an update when you get yours, I think you'll really enjoy it! One word of caution, with the most powerful blanks you can drive the pure lead slug fast enough to cause leading in your barrel. If your going for max speed, buy some liquid alox(available at most gun shops,usually made by Lee) and give your bullets a light coat. This should be plenty to prevent fouling your bore.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
The gentleman who makes these adaptors came to our local gunshow this weekend and I was able to speak with him. He does indeed have a website,which is gamegetter.ca
If your interested in this device,check out the website, I think you'll find it interesting. He's a great guy,although no longer young and is a bit hard of hearing. If you want one, I suggest you don't delay too long as I kinda wonder how long he's going to keep making these.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Well, I got my Game Getter a couple of days ago. I didn't get out to get it till yesterday.

I took my Mosin Nagant M-44 out to try it and it worked flawlessly.

I tried the #2 & #3 loads for the Ram Jet tool and they both worked great. The #3 seemed a tad louder maybe but not much.

We were shooting at about 50 yards and once I got my sights set it was dead on and killed many soda cans.

It was doing 1" groups at 50 yards but it was pretty windy. Plenty good enough for small game.

I had to put the sights at 700 meters on the Nagant to get it to hit at the point of aim.

Well worth the money ($50.85 with shipping)

Now I have a rifle that will take anything from squirrel & Rabbit up to Elk

I recommend this product to anyone with a large caliber bolt action rifle....

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Awesome,glad you like it. They really are surprisingly accurate, and hit with authority. The biggest thing I've personally seen them used on was a porcupine,which it killed instantly. I think it will do well on anything into the 25lb range,depending on which calibre of rifle you are shooting. I know many people have used them as a finishing shot on big game, which I assume to mean head shots. Let us know if you do any further testing, I'd be curious to see what kind of penetration you get into something like wet phonebooks.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Doesn't firing a sphere down the bore damage the rifling?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
no it wont, a normal copper round will do more damage to the bore than a round lead ball.. first off because a round ball is made of lead which is softer than copper, and because a normal fmj will have more resistance and friction ageanst the rifling as it shoots out, where as lead will only have the edges of the lead ball touching, reducing friction... maby you are thinking of a steel ball of something? i would amagine a steel barring would do a lot of harm to the barrel.. but as long as you stick to lead you shood be fine

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Right, never even thought about that possibility! Do not,under any circumstances,shoot steel ball bearings out of a Gamegetter! I don't think pressure's would be high enough to cause any serious injury, but you'd probably render your firearms useless due to a ball bearing being stuck in the barrel. If you didn't notice and attempted to shoot another regular round,results would no doubt be catastrophic!

top topics

join