It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good jobs , good benefits: THIS IS WHAT WE FIGHT FOR

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

www.sandiego6.com

A report released Monday documents large retirement payouts for former city of San Diego employees, which a pension reform advocate said amounts to a bigger scandal than in the city of Bell, where eight officials now face corruption charges for excessive salaries and perks.

The report highlights a former San Diego city librarian who is eligible to collect a $227,249 pension annually, with an estimated payout over 25 years of more than $6 million.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
While these stories may not be "the rule" they are certainly not the anecdotal "exception" either. They have grown fat at the public trough during the times of plenty and riot during times of lean when the voters decide its time to put them on a diet.

I cant really blame these people ... when individuals are put into situations where it is becomes so easy to become this well compensated, who wouldn’t take advantage. Still, the people of California, and across the nation as California is not alone in this crisis, are the ones who ultimately pay the cost for this: fewer jobs, less opportunity, more taxes and a lower standard of living.

Remember examples like the $299,103 assistant city attorney and $227,249 librarian before screaming that public unions don’t need reform.

www.sandiego6.com

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Good find. It is especially distressing when you realize 17% of the labor force works for the Federal government and that does not include the post office, teachers or state, county and local government workers.

So what does the rest of Americans do? The top seven employers in order are:
Walmart
Kelly temp office staff
McDonald's
UPS
IBM
Home Depot
Target

In other words low paying sales clerks and burger flippers earning $20K a year are paying for these salaries of $200K a year. No wonder the US is going Bankrupt!!!! It would take the entire salary of ten people to paid the salary of ONE well paid Bureau Rat and we now have too many rats and not enough burger flippers.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Nobody with any sense would argue that unions do not need to be reformed and cleaned up and returned to doing what they were created to do... work to establish decent working conditions, safety procedures, decent wages, etc. The same kind of people that go for elective office seem to end up in positions of power in unions... the same greedy, corrupt types are in both places.

The current trend and desire of the GOP to destroy unions is not good. Unions came into being for a reason, and that reason still exists, even though there is substantial corruption in unions these days. But their raison d'etre is still present in corporate America... is stronger than ever, in fact.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Open_Minded Skeptic

The middle class was the strongest when the unions were the strongest. Capital gain taxes were also high and we protected our jobs with tariffs on imports.

Now it's nearly ALL GONE.

The weakening/disappearance of the unions and the middle class is not coincidence.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike

www.sandiego6.com

A report released Monday documents large retirement payouts for former city of San Diego employees, which a pension reform advocate said amounts to a bigger scandal than in the city of Bell, where eight officials now face corruption charges for excessive salaries and perks.

The report highlights a former San Diego city librarian who is eligible to collect a $227,249 pension annually, with an estimated payout over 25 years of more than $6 million.

All I can say is wth didn't I become a librarian?!!!!

I would have rocked that sexy librarian look ok maybe not.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

If you can't blame that gal for ripping off the tax payers, then you certainly can't blame the trader or investment banker who is making $5M a year. He's taking money from the share holders of his company, not the tax payer.
edit on 19-2-2011 by dolphinfan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Open_Minded Skeptic
reply to post by SirMike

Nobody with any sense would argue that unions do not need to be reformed and cleaned up and returned to doing what they were created to do... work to establish decent working conditions, safety procedures, decent wages, etc. The same kind of people that go for elective office seem to end up in positions of power in unions... the same greedy, corrupt types are in both places.

The current trend and desire of the GOP to destroy unions is not good. Unions came into being for a reason, and that reason still exists, even though there is substantial corruption in unions these days. But their raison d'etre is still present in corporate America... is stronger than ever, in fact.

They're doing this so they can get rid of OSHA, Osha was formed BECAUSE OF UNIONS...pretty soon we'll have crap pay, deadly work conditions, and nobody to fight for our rights!!!!
edit on 19-2-2011 by ldyserenity because: clarification

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
imo if employers were still desiring a closer relationship with its employees we wouldn't have as big a need for unions - though i am for them, without the political driven leaders.

perhaps that statement is a bit naive, but with my experiences in the non-union private workforce i have noticed how employers cease to recognize hard work anymore. its either do your job.. or get fired.. and don't expect us to notice if you work your butt off for us or not we don't care. oh and don't ask about a raise.. times are tough and i need to make sure i can buy a bass boat and a Harley this year. i guess its like that old saying about who you know. or maybe I've just had some terrible bosses lol
edit on 23-2-2011 by Kingbreaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Nicely said!
AFTER ALL , HUMANS JUST ASK TO SURVIVE AND LIVE IN HUMAN CONDITIONS!
And I can bet it's not hard to achieve this!
Just that THE WORLD "LEADERS"/CRIMINALS DON'T HAVE THIS THOUGHT EVER in their dammed head!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Senatus Populusque Romanus

top topics

join